New 718 Owner's Only - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 150

Thread: New 718 Owner's Only

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    83
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    89
    Images
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    I have had my 718B since August and loved everything about it except having to hit the engine/start/stop button every time I started the engine. Today I installed the Memory Module from T-Design and now both the sport and engine start/stop buttons stay in the last position selected when you restart the car. I love it. If you buy the module, it is easy to install yourself. The only problem I had was taking off the trim around the console. There are 10 push button clips and it was very hard to pop them up. There is no way you can just lift up on the back and they will pop out. If you do that I am sure you will break the trim. After getting the two back ones open I used a screwdriver to pry them up one at a time. The rest came apart easy and all reinstalled very easy. They have a very nice video on their site showing how to install the module. A very nice aftermarket product.
    Last edited by ritchieg; 12-19-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling

  2. Remove Advertisements
     

  3. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    3
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Hi all,

    I'm in the UK, and ordered a base 718 PDK Boxster at the end of November, after test driving one against a base 981. I'm certainly not going to bash the 981, it's a lovely car, but for me the 718 is just an improvement in every way. One has to mention the sound of course, but my experience was that it's just different with the F4T, and personally I love the deep growl.

    I've gone for more options than I intended (don't we all?!), but stuck with standard exhaust, suspension and went non-SC. I found the base car on 19" rims (I went for the Boxster S type rims) handled and rode beautifully, and as it's a long term keeper preferred to keep things as simple as possible from a maintenance cost POV.

    I did add a few toys, such as the SatNav, Connect Plus (Apple fanboy by admission!) the GT steering wheel (heated/buttons), heated seats and dual zone c/c (it'll be both a daily driver with roof down whenever possible, plus weekend away car with the Mrs.). Also opted for the ACC/PAS for crowded British Motorways.

    I also love my music, so went for the Bose. It has some DSP trickery (virtual surround) that really makes a difference in the car environment. At home I have a decent HiFi and wouldn't use (or need) such gimmickry, but if you have the Bose and haven't found the setting give it a go!

    Oh, and it's going to be Agate Grey, with black leather Sport Plus seats, which I found very comfortable.

    Delivery is scheduled for early to mid March (factory build is now locked and due to start mid-Feb). I have the week after it's due to arrive booked as a holiday, with the intention of going a long way to running it in on some long and varied runs.

    I can't wait!

  4. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    254
    Likes (Given)
    76
    Likes (Received)
    90
    Images
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm in the UK, and ordered a base 718 PDK Boxster at the end of November, after test driving one against a base 981. I'm certainly not going to bash the 981, it's a lovely car, but for me the 718 is just an improvement in every way. One has to mention the sound of course, but my experience was that it's just different with the F4T, and personally I love the deep growl.

    I've gone for more options than I intended (don't we all?!), but stuck with standard exhaust, suspension and went non-SC. I found the base car on 19" rims (I went for the Boxster S type rims) handled and rode beautifully, and as it's a long term keeper preferred to keep things as simple as possible from a maintenance cost POV.

    I did add a few toys, such as the SatNav, Connect Plus (Apple fanboy by admission!) the GT steering wheel (heated/buttons), heated seats and dual zone c/c (it'll be both a daily driver with roof down whenever possible, plus weekend away car with the Mrs.). Also opted for the ACC/PAS for crowded British Motorways.

    I also love my music, so went for the Bose. It has some DSP trickery (virtual surround) that really makes a difference in the car environment. At home I have a decent HiFi and wouldn't use (or need) such gimmickry, but if you have the Bose and haven't found the setting give it a go!

    Oh, and it's going to be Agate Grey, with black leather Sport Plus seats, which I found very comfortable.

    Delivery is scheduled for early to mid March (factory build is now locked and due to start mid-Feb). I have the week after it's due to arrive booked as a holiday, with the intention of going a long way to running it in on some long and varied runs.

    I can't wait!
    I hope (and expect) that you will enjoy it as much as I do mine.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Planet-9.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #104
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    22
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    16
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    After 4 months of ownership, the 718 still puts a smile on my face.
    Great little fun car!
    Brokaw1
    1967 912
    1973 911T
    1980 924
    2008 Carrera

  7. #105
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    160
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    I'm back. Just ordered a Base Cayman. It will primarily serve as my daily commuter, as an alternate to my 2016 Suburban Z71, which is primarily a work/ranch/surf/coach truck.

    Build: $60,020

    Manual transmission
    Non-Metallic White
    Black interior
    14-way seats
    Premium Package
    18" Boxster wheels
    Model delete
    Bose

    I wanted to add a Sport Exhaust and PASM\PTV but they obliterated my budget.

    I was originally planning on purchasing a CPO 2014/2015, but the 10-12K price difference from ordering a new one did not make sense to me.

    This Cayman will be replacing a 2014 Accord Sport w/ 6sp Manual, which was a great driving car when shod with Nokian Z-Lines.
    Current:
    2016 Suburban Z71
    2014 Accord Sport 6 spd Manual
    2008 Range Rover HSE
    2017 Cayman (ordered)

    Recently Owned/Leased:
    2009 GTS Manual w/ PDCC (fabulous, but geared to low for daily commute)
    2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (big disappointment)
    2006 LR3 (leather clad tractor - loved it)
    2007 Cayman (favorite of all time, but unresolved flaws)

  8. #106
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    5,766
    Likes (Given)
    409
    Likes (Received)
    1581
    Images
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Quote Originally Posted by bgsntth View Post
    I'm back. Just ordered a Base Cayman. It will primarily serve as my daily commuter, as an alternate to my 2016 Suburban Z71, which is primarily a work/ranch/surf/coach truck.

    Build: $60,020

    Manual transmission
    Non-Metallic White
    Black interior
    14-way seats
    Premium Package
    18" Boxster wheels
    Model delete
    Bose

    I wanted to add a Sport Exhaust and PASM\PTV but they obliterated my budget.

    I was originally planning on purchasing a CPO 2014/2015, but the 10-12K price difference from ordering a new one did not make sense to me.

    This Cayman will be replacing a 2014 Accord Sport w/ 6sp Manual, which was a great driving car when shod with Nokian Z-Lines.
    How much is blose currently? I'd trade it for a sport exhaust in a heartbeat!
    T-Design : Ergonomic accessories bespoke designed for Porsche
    Phone Mount
    Over 200 happy customers here on P9
    Memory Module
    remembers auto/start/stop, PSE, Sport and Sport+* settings
    Sunglass Holster, Tablet Mount and more at

  9. #107
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    160
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Bose is $900 and Sport Exhaust is $2900. SWMBO decreed the color, Boxster wheels and Bose. I will add the Sport Exhaust at some point.

    I will be the primary driver, but SWMBO has first choice on each day's vehicle selection. Happy wife\happy life. She wants a manual too, so I'm not complaining.
    Current:
    2016 Suburban Z71
    2014 Accord Sport 6 spd Manual
    2008 Range Rover HSE
    2017 Cayman (ordered)

    Recently Owned/Leased:
    2009 GTS Manual w/ PDCC (fabulous, but geared to low for daily commute)
    2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (big disappointment)
    2006 LR3 (leather clad tractor - loved it)
    2007 Cayman (favorite of all time, but unresolved flaws)

  10. #108
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    5,766
    Likes (Given)
    409
    Likes (Received)
    1581
    Images
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Quote Originally Posted by ritchieg View Post
    I have had my 718B since August and loved everything about it except having to hit the engine/start/stop button every time I started the engine. Today I installed the Memory Module from T-Design and now both the sport and engine start/stop buttons stay in the last position selected when you restart the car. I love it. If you buy the module, it is easy to install yourself. The only problem I had was taking off the trim around the console. There are 10 push button clips and it was very hard to pop them up. There is no way you can just lift up on the back and they will pop out. If you do that I am sure you will break the trim. After getting the two back ones open I used a screwdriver to pry them up one at a time. The rest came apart easy and all reinstalled very easy. They have a very nice video on their site showing how to install the module. A very nice aftermarket product.
    Thanks for the good word!

    That video is kind of obsolete! There is a new, simpler way - just unclip half of the *side* trim, the one touching the thigh, on any side. There will be opening to slide 4 fingers in and push the buttons box up. No need to touch that top silver trim at all! I'll make a new video soon, but it requires natural light and it's single digits F outside
    T-Design : Ergonomic accessories bespoke designed for Porsche
    Phone Mount
    Over 200 happy customers here on P9
    Memory Module
    remembers auto/start/stop, PSE, Sport and Sport+* settings
    Sunglass Holster, Tablet Mount and more at

  11. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Ordered the following yesterday - in Canada so hopefully this info will help others. Discount was 3% off MSRP.

    718 Manual Transmission
    Guards Red, Luxor Beige Leather PK
    LED Headlights incl PDLS
    Supp Safety Bars in Ext Colour
    Rear Side air intake in Ext Colour
    Sport Design Package (enhanced front spoiler and rear bumper)
    Wheel Center Caps w/ Coloured Porsche Cres
    Lane Change Assist
    Navigation
    Sport Tailpipes in Silver
    18inch Cayman Wheel
    Gear Lever Aluminum Brushed

    Approx USD $66k equiv. May delivery

  12. #110
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    472
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Downloads
    22
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Took delivery of my new 718 Cayman S.

    Black. Not too many options.

    Have to wait till snow thaws or buy some winter tiresicon to get the feel for it.
    AFRIDI
    2010 Porsche GT3
    2008 Yamaha R6S
    2007 BMW 328

  13. #111
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    83
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    89
    Images
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    I wanted to mention another aftermarket item that might be of interest to some Porsche owners. The colored key fob costs around $120 if you buy it at Porsche but you can get the shell and install it yourself for $15 to $30. You can get almost any color and for any Porsche fob. Just look up colored Porsche key fob shell online Since I have two Porsche cars, it sure makes it easy to identify the fob for each car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 718 Owner's Only-jan-20-46-jpg  

  14. #112
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    10
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Quote Originally Posted by superbae View Post
    Ordered the following yesterday - in Canada so hopefully this info will help others. Discount was 3% off MSRP.

    718 Manual Transmission
    Guards Red, Luxor Beige Leather PK
    LED Headlights incl PDLS
    Supp Safety Bars in Ext Colour
    Rear Side air intake in Ext Colour
    Sport Design Package (enhanced front spoiler and rear bumper)
    Wheel Center Caps w/ Coloured Porsche Cres
    Lane Change Assist
    Navigation
    Sport Tailpipes in Silver
    18inch Cayman Wheel
    Gear Lever Aluminum Brushed

    Approx USD $66k equiv. May delivery

    How does one get a Porsche discount in Canada, unless you were a previous buyer? How is it when I try at dealers they say tough luck MSRP only on a 718? Yet in USA they seem to fall over themselves to offer 5% off without any haggling?

  15. #113
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    568
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    9
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    My 718 Boxster S is on order and will be here in time for spring. From my demo rides in some of the finest cars on the planet, I once again chose a mid-engine Porsche. I wasn’t surprised and this is how I got here:

    In 2005 I was looking at an Aston Martin V8 Vantage and some used Ferraris but I wasn’t willing to drive a winter beater most of the year so I could enjoy a few perfect summer days in an exotic. I ended up buying a BMW 330 xDrive sedan and a Cayman S. The Porsche was the best car I ever owned and thought it could be the end of the line for me because the Law of Diminishing Returns made substantially more expensive cars only marginally nicer to own.

    After years of owning a sports car and something else to drive in the winter, I went back to single car ownership with BMW 3 and 4 Series coupes. I found that was the best single car to satisfy all my driving needs living in the Northeast. In October of 2016 I stopped in a new McLaren dealer and made the mistake of driving a 570S. It renewed my dormant desire for a sports car and the BMW 435i was no longer capable of satisfying all my driving needs.

    I figured if I was seriously shopping for a McLaren I had to at least look at other possible contenders and drove a Ferrari 458, California T, and various Porsches. While I wasn’t interested in another Cayman at the time (this was going to be my ultimate trophy car, after all) my dealer had a 718 Boxster sitting out front with plates on it so I accepted his offer to drive it. I ended up driving a few 718s on the same roads I drove the McLaren, a new 911, a new 911 C4S, and a year old 911 Turbo. Ferdinand Porsche knew what he was doing when he built Porsche #1 with the engine in the middle and the 718 felt better in the corners than any other Porsche and was just as much fun to drive as the McLaren. Yes, the McLaren’s acceleration and power were amazing but on real roads with the top down, the Boxster S put a similar smile on my face.

    The 911 is a beautiful car but I didn’t think the C4S was going to give me $42,0000 more driving pleasure than a 718S. All the Porsche salesmen agreed. All wheel drive helps correct the problems associated with a rear-engine car but powering out of a corner the 718 simply feels better and is more planted.

    There will always be those who deride our choice of cars as an “entry level” Porsche or chick’s car but they don’t know of what they are speaking. Years ago at Lime Rock Park a Porsche dealer had Boxsters and Caymans with PCA driving instructors so customers could drive the cars on the track. I still remember an owner of a new 911 dressed to the 9s with an aero kit asking his salesman why his car didn’t drive like the Cayman. An hour later he was still in the pits talking about the Cayman’s handling. My PCA instructor owned and raced 911s but had never driven a Boxster before. He was having so much fun he kept doing extra sighting laps before he reluctantly let me behind the wheel!

    The 718 follows 20 years of mid-engine Porsches that remain some of the best cars the company has ever built and some of the best handling cars in the world. I am happy to be back in the fold, four cylinder turbo motor and all.

    Alan
    Last edited by BiggerTwin; 01-25-2017 at 04:34 AM.

  16. #114
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    898
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    33
    Images
    236
    Downloads
    32
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    New 718 Owner's Only

    Tonight I am the proud owner of a new GT Silver 718 Boxster S. I was going to order it, but sitting in the dealer lot was one similar to what I was specing, but with more options. After negotiating a decent trade-in on my Cayman and fairly good discount on MSRP (7%), the car was mine. The car is a friggin animal, a cruise missile with 4 wheels, PDK and a black-Bordeaux Red leather package. Glad to join the cutting edge.


    "He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, still dead."

  17. #115
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Planet3
    Posts
    45
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Congratulations!!! Similar situation for me. I actually ordered then found my car on a dealership lot in Ohio.

    I have the Rhodium Silver. I want to see the GT Silver in person.

    BTW, you should consider joining PCA (Porsche Club of America), if you're not already a member. The Potomac chapter is having a gathering this Saturday 3-6 pm at the Silver Spring, MD Porsche dealership. The dealership is hosting
    a viewing of the 24hr IMSA Daytona Race. There was also supposed to be a revealing of the new Panamera, but that may not happen.

    Enjoy!

  18. #116
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    898
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    33
    Images
    236
    Downloads
    32
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Congratulations!!! Similar situation for me. I actually ordered then found my car on a dealership lot in Ohio.

    I have the Rhodium Silver. I want to see the GT Silver in person.

    BTW, you should consider joining PCA (Porsche Club of America), if you're not already a member. The Potomac chapter is having a gathering this Saturday 3-6 pm at the Silver Spring, MD Porsche dealership. The dealership is hosting
    a viewing of the 24hr IMSA Daytona Race. There was also supposed to be a revealing of the new Panamera, but that may not happen.

    Enjoy!
    I'm at Porsche SS for the event on Saturday. I am co-chairing the Drive and Dine committee for PCA Potomac right now. I had a Cayman for over 8 years until last night. I've attached a couple pics of the new baby.

    Are you gonna be at the Daytona event?

    New 718 Owner's Only-img_4965-jpgNew 718 Owner's Only-img_4968-jpgNew 718 Owner's Only-img_4967-jpgNew 718 Owner's Only-img_4901-jpg


    "He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, still dead."

  19. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Planet3
    Posts
    45
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Quote Originally Posted by engnr1 View Post
    I'm at Porsche SS for the event on Saturday. I am co-chairing the Drive and Dine committee for PCA Potomac right now. I had a Cayman for over 8 years until last night. I've attached a couple pics of the new baby.

    Are you gonna be at the Daytona event?

    New 718 Owner's Only-img_4965-jpgNew 718 Owner's Only-img_4968-jpgNew 718 Owner's Only-img_4967-jpgNew 718 Owner's Only-img_4901-jpg

    Sorry. I guess being a new/first time owner, in my excitement, I forget others have been around for a while.

    Yes. My wife and I are attending.

  20. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    71
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    12
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Really beautiful car, congratulations!

  21. #119
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    32
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    11
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: New 718 Owner's Only

    Quote Originally Posted by engnr1 View Post
    I'm at Porsche SS for the event on Saturday. I am co-chairing the Drive and Dine committee for PCA Potomac right now. I had a Cayman for over 8 years until last night. I've attached a couple pics of the new baby.

    Are you gonna be at the Daytona event?

    New 718 Owner's Only-img_4965-jpgNew 718 Owner's Only-img_4968-jpgNew 718 Owner's Only-img_4967-jpgNew 718 Owner's Only-img_4901-jpg
    Looks great. Have the same exterior GT Metallic Silver and love it. Must put clear corners on ASAP. Have a pic of mine before/after below:




  22. #120
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    898
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    33
    Images
    236
    Downloads
    32
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    New 718 Owner's Only

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Sorry. I guess being a new/first time owner, in my excitement, I forget others have been around for a while.

    Yes. My wife and I are attending.
    You'll find my car there and perhaps me as well. . We're there and I know at least two other Potomac people will be there. If you are in Potomac region, we have lots of things going on, and if you're in Chesapeake, they have events as well and often they join us for our Drive and Dine, DE, Club Race and AutoX events. There are 2400 primary members in Potomac (not including spouses/kids) so a lot of stuff happens.

    Anyway, we can hopefully see you Saturday.


    "He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, still dead."

  23. Remove Advertisements
     

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New 718 Owner
    By M@verik115 in forum 718 Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-30-2016, 12:28 PM
  2. Welcome. New Cayman Owner
    By junglee444 in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 10:25 PM
  3. New Cayman Owner - Need Help Fast
    By new06cayman in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 07:54 PM
  4. New Cayman owner
    By Qtqc in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Pictures & Video
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 06:29 PM
  5. Happy new Cayman owner
    By jjbravo in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
« Back