Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By cease
  • 1 Post By Noah Fect
  • 1 Post By Greywolf

Thread: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

  1. #1
    cfa341 is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    -- experienced an odd problem with the TPM option on the Cayman S yesterday and seeking a little advice:

    -- got the 'flat tyre' warning & symbols showing on the dash - got concerned so checked all tires w/manual gauge - no significant pressure problems - all tires good - TPM sensors replaced pst year...

    -- so a day later, all tire pressures still holding - but still can't get the on-board computer to clear the the faulty symbol icons.

    -- reviewed owner's manual for possible reasons and only remotely applicable cause appears to be 'too many wireless transmitters' (as TPM system apparently operates via radio signal)...?

    -- since no add'l wireless transmission from this end - stumped...

    -- any suggestions welcome from those with similiar problem.

    Thanks

    CFraulino
    PdR


  2. #2
    cease's Avatar
    cease is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    161
    Images
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Quote Originally Posted by cfa341 View Post
    -- experienced an odd problem with the TPM option on the Cayman S yesterday and seeking a little advice:

    -- got the 'flat tyre' warning & symbols showing on the dash - got concerned so checked all tires w/manual gauge - no significant pressure problems - all tires good - TPM sensors replaced pst year...

    -- so a day later, all tire pressures still holding - but still can't get the on-board computer to clear the the faulty symbol icons.

    -- reviewed owner's manual for possible reasons and only remotely applicable cause appears to be 'too many wireless transmitters' (as TPM system apparently operates via radio signal)...?

    -- since no add'l wireless transmission from this end - stumped...

    -- any suggestions welcome from those with similiar problem.

    Thanks

    CFraulino
    PdR
    Do you keep the TPM display visible for a long period of time? Like always? If so, you've probably drained the batteries in the wheel unit radio transmitters. At least that's what I learned on my 2011 911 when it started doing this. I was told to never leave the TPM display visible; when it's shown the transmitters are using battery power.
    pmonkey and neal981 like this.
    White Base Cayman, 20" Carrera S, PDK, Bose, Front/Rear Parking Sensors, PASM, 14 Way Ventilated Seats, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Smoking Pkg., Model Deletion, Sport Exhaust Tips. 8th Porsche.

  3. #3
    pmonkey's Avatar
    pmonkey is offline Porsche Specialist
    500 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Posts
    598
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    I had a similar situation recently. I made the tpms "relearn" the tire pressures by doing a reset through the stalk on the steering column and now everything seems fine.
    2007 Cayman S, MT, Atlas Grey Metallic/Terracotta.

  4. #4
    Cantrax's Avatar
    Cantrax is offline Porsche Specialist 500 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Calif.
    Posts
    698
    Blog Entries
    1
    Downloads
    22
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    I have a question I cannot find the answer to. When I check how much pressure to add or decrease when the car is stationary it sometimes displays for the some of the wheel (mainly on the driver side) some prompt that looks like "Req". Ultimately the pressures needed appear but I am curious to this display.

    Also is it really true you drain the battery leaving the TPMS in the display as the norm?

  5. #5
    Cantrax's Avatar
    Cantrax is offline Porsche Specialist 500 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Calif.
    Posts
    698
    Blog Entries
    1
    Downloads
    22
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Sorry I forgot to add my right rear wheel takes a lot longer to display than the rest. The need pressure readout is there but the normal display takes about a minute or more. The tire has a plug but does not leak at all. Finally, do the tires have to be rotating to display the readings or just the ignition turned on?

  6. #6
    Noah Fect is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,020
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Quote Originally Posted by cease View Post
    Do you keep the TPM display visible for a long period of time? Like always? If so, you've probably drained the batteries in the wheel unit radio transmitters. At least that's what I learned on my 2011 911 when it started doing this. I was told to never leave the TPM display visible; when it's shown the transmitters are using battery power.
    Weird. You're saying there's a two-way radio link involved? I would think the TPM sensors would just send data in periodic bursts whenever they sense that the car is moving. If they have to listen constantly for HAL to ping them, that would seem to require even more battery power.
    BJR likes this.

  7. #7
    Budman's Avatar
    Budman is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PA & FL
    Posts
    1,458
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Quote Originally Posted by cease View Post
    Do you keep the TPM display visible for a long period of time? Like always? If so, you've probably drained the batteries in the wheel unit radio transmitters. At least that's what I learned on my 2011 911 when it started doing this. I was told to never leave the TPM display visible; when it's shown the transmitters are using battery power.
    Not displaying the tire pressures does NOT stop the tire pressure sensors from working. If the car is running the tire pressure sensors are sending data whether you are looking at it or not. Who ever told you that is misinformed. I've had the pressure sensors in my car, a 2008 Cayman, now for 6 years and ALWAYS show tire pressure on my dash when I'm driving. Why? Because it's the only thing that shows that one can actually do something about if there is a tire problem. Radio station info and averages aren't worth much when you are motoring down the highway. And the sensors are still working fine. I suspect I'll need to change them in another year or two but that's just because that would be the normal life span.

    PS. There is regular outside interference with the radio signal of these sensors that cause them to change from psi to dashes but they will return to psi after a couple miles. It could be your local fire house, another car passing using the same frequency, etc. At least that's my 6 year experience.

  8. #8
    cfa341 is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    -- Seems like a number of glitches with TPM sensors (w/other makes as well): Don't believe that the sensors are continually 'streaming' tire pressure data - only upon start-up or stand-still when requested (or re-set) via steering stalk; Some tires do take longer for sensor(s) to 'learn' the pressure (shown by '--'); Once a problem surfaces - many faulty readings accompanied by the 'flat tyre' symbol and red '!' on dash - which remained for (2) days until finally clearing itself (w/pressure readings returning to normal) while vehicle was parked overnight...

    -- and lastly, may be just a coincidence - but noticed that my mobile phone seized up & became unusable at the same time the TPM problem began...?


    CFarc
    PdR

  9. #9
    cfa341 is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Budman View Post
    Not displaying the tire pressures does NOT stop the tire pressure sensors from working. If the car is running the tire pressure sensors are sending data whether you are looking at it or not. Who ever told you that is misinformed. I've had the pressure sensors in my car, a 2008 Cayman, now for 6 years and ALWAYS show tire pressure on my dash when I'm driving. Why? Because it's the only thing that shows that one can actually do something about if there is a tire problem. Radio station info and averages aren't worth much when you are motoring down the highway. And the sensors are still working fine. I suspect I'll need to change them in another year or two but that's just because that would be the normal life span.

    PS. There is regular outside interference with the radio signal of these sensors that cause them to change from psi to dashes but they will return to psi after a couple miles. It could be your local fire house, another car passing using the same frequency, etc. At least that's my 6 year experience.
    -- do you think the TPM data is set for real-time continual updates - even if not requested via steering stalk...? have noticed that average mph/mpg readings require 'reset' request from time to time...

  10. #10
    Budman's Avatar
    Budman is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PA & FL
    Posts
    1,458
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Quote Originally Posted by cfa341 View Post
    -- do you think the TPM data is set for real-time continual updates - even if not requested via steering stalk...? have noticed that average mph/mpg readings require 'reset' request from time to time...
    My experience and information has them sending data to the receiving unit on a regular, every couple minute basis, regardless of whether or not the results are displayed. It is stored there and available for viewing whenever you like. And because I drive with it showing on my dash, the values change constantly based on outside temperature, tire temperature and/or air loss.

    Comparing them to average speed or miles isn't really valid either. Averages also compute constantly whether displayed or not. The reset is justified, not because they stop working but because the averages become less useful when allowed to just accumulate and average forever. The averages won't change much when the accumulated data becomes so large that the averaged results using those large numbers become insignificant. That result could make it look like it stopped working but it didn't.

  11. #11
    RBT's Avatar
    RBT
    RBT is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    55
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Gents, after washing my car the tyre press system showed up in the cluster with a warning of 0.3 bar air fill required on rear left tyre. I checked the pressure when driving and it was regular, with progress increase after warming up the car (from 2.3 to 2.5 bar), as usual.


    How can I clear the warning icon in the cluster? It seems a malfunctioning, as it never showed up in the winter, with very low temperature.
    RBT - Cayman GTS, PDK, sport suspensions, Carmine red int's, carbon seats.

  12. #12
    AndyE1976's Avatar
    AndyE1976 is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    476
    Blog Entries
    1
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Boxster981S

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    I managed to clear mine by switching into and out of comfort mode.
    Andy

    DBM '13 981S / Sports Suspension / PTV / PSE / SC

  13. #13
    RBT's Avatar
    RBT
    RBT is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    55
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Thanks for letting me know, I'll try over the weekend.
    RBT - Cayman GTS, PDK, sport suspensions, Carmine red int's, carbon seats.

  14. #14
    Budman's Avatar
    Budman is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PA & FL
    Posts
    1,458
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Quote Originally Posted by cease View Post
    Do you keep the TPM display visible for a long period of time? Like always? If so, you've probably drained the batteries in the wheel unit radio transmitters. At least that's what I learned on my 2011 911 when it started doing this. I was told to never leave the TPM display visible; when it's shown the transmitters are using battery power.
    I"ve heard this before and I'm sorry, I don't believe it. The TPMS units in the tires are essentially dumb units powered by batteries. They transmit to a "smart receiver unit" which displays the dash readings. Not displaying the dash message DOES NOT stop the units from transmitting to the receiver and there is no way to stop the battery operated units from transmitting, even when parked in your garage. They do this full time. Whether the receiver unit catures the tranmission of info is something else. I've run my dash display for 7 years, every time I drive the car and for 36,000 miles before the wheel unit batteries went dead. I have fellow club members who never run with the display showing and their batteries went dead at approximately the same time. This is one of those internet info items that people believe are true because it's on the internet. It's not true.
    Last edited by Budman; 07-13-2015 at 04:14 PM.

  15. #15
    Greywolf is offline Site Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1,677
    Downloads
    33
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    I'm with Budman on this. For the system to meet the regs it has to be sending pressure data to the car as long as it's moving in order to warn of a flat/low tire. This function is always there whether or not you're monitoring the display.

    I don't get why they didn't set the things to turn off when the car isn't moving after 20 minutes or so. Battery probably would have lasted well beyond the tires then.
    Les

  16. #16
    Budman's Avatar
    Budman is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PA & FL
    Posts
    1,458
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    I'm with Budman on this. For the system to meet the regs it has to be sending pressure data to the car as long as it's moving in order to warn of a flat/low tire. This function is always there whether or not you're monitoring the display.

    I don't get why they didn't set the things to turn off when the car isn't moving after 20 minutes or so. Battery probably would have lasted well beyond the tires then.
    Actually it sends the data without the car moving also. When I first start my car in the garage, I typically wait the minute or so to make sure my tire reading come up OK. Then I back out of the garage and roll out. This is not disimilar from those who got caught with their old TPMS units in the glove box after swaping them out. Guess what. They transmit from the glove box and confuse the receiver because there are too many units transmitting. Another demonstration that they NEVER stop transmitting until the batteries are so weak or dead and displaying the results has absolutely nothing to do with battery life.

  17. #17
    Greywolf is offline Site Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1,677
    Downloads
    33
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Budman View Post
    Actually it sends the data without the car moving also. When I first start my car in the garage, I typically wait the minute or so to make sure my tire reading come up OK. Then I back out of the garage and roll out. This is not disimilar from those who got caught with their old TPMS units in the glove box after swaping them out. Guess what. They transmit from the glove box and confuse the receiver because there are too many units transmitting. Another demonstration that they NEVER stop transmitting until the batteries are so weak or dead and displaying the results has absolutely nothing to do with battery life.
    Right on.

    Guess I wasn't clear though. Simply meant that while they could shut off while not moving and still meet the regs, at least as I read them, they don't. They stay on all the time, which seems like a good way to sell the things plus all the work involved. Designed in extra service work. Pure gravy. Given the current state of electronics having them shut off when stationary would have been trivial. Sorry for the confusion.
    Budman likes this.
    Les

  18. #18
    MidEngine-Fan's Avatar
    MidEngine-Fan is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    2,000 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,259
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Quote Originally Posted by cfa341 View Post
    -- Seems like a number of glitches with TPM sensors (w/other makes as well): Don't believe that the sensors are continually 'streaming' tire pressure data - only upon start-up or stand-still when requested (or re-set) via steering stalk; Some tires do take longer for sensor(s) to 'learn' the pressure (shown by '--'); Once a problem surfaces - many faulty readings accompanied by the 'flat tyre' symbol and red '!' on dash - which remained for (2) days until finally clearing itself (w/pressure readings returning to normal) while vehicle was parked overnight...

    -- and lastly, may be just a coincidence - but noticed that my mobile phone seized up & became unusable at the same time the TPM problem began...?


    CFarc
    PdR
    I thought maybe your tires were trying to call you...
    '71 914 1.7L. '14 Boxster S (Silver & Black) w/ PDK, PTV, PASM, MFSW, heated SW, headed/vented seats, auto-dimming mirrors, rain sensor, ACC/PAS, light-design pkg, 14-way power seats w/ memory, climate control, Bose PCM & NAV, 20" Carrera classic wheels, PDLS, leather pkg, aftermarket backup camera & grills

  19. #19
    RBT's Avatar
    RBT
    RBT is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    55
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: TPM - Clear dash icons...?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyE1976 View Post
    I managed to clear mine by switching into and out of comfort mode.
    It worked for me too. Unfortunately the warning appeared once again after hrs of driving, after switching off the engine (with tyre pressure at 2.5 bar, absolutely as standard). It seems an issue with TPMS....
    RBT - Cayman GTS, PDK, sport suspensions, Carmine red int's, carbon seats.

Similar Threads

  1. TPMS dash light
    By Johneecatt in forum 981 Cayman and Boxster Service and Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2014, 02:25 PM
  2. TPMS Inactive! Replaced Sensor But Still Have Dash Warning
    By Nice Rumble in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Problems and Complaints
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-14-2014, 04:40 PM
  3. Cayman S TPM problem - clear dash icons...?
    By cfa341 in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 06:10 PM
  4. Clearing TPMS error messages
    By winchester21 in forum Porsche Tires & Wheels
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 10:45 AM
  5. Clear Bra Install Party
    By hvdcman in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Modifications
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 09:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •