Mileage Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Mileage Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    454
    Likes (Given)
    185
    Likes (Received)
    177
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Mileage Thread

    One of the things I love about my 981 is how great it is as a long distance tourer -- fun to drive but also very comfortable.

    A pleasant surprise to me was the fuel economy you can get from a high-performance naturally aspirated engine. I'm no hyper-miler but this past weekend I took some twisty hilly back roads that were relatively slow in the speed limit department and was shocked when I checked the trip's fuel consumption. 7.1 l/100km (33 mpg US).

    Mileage Thread-img_0576-jpg

    The next time I filled up I checked the computer against the actual mileage on the tank and it is very accurate.

    What's your best or worst fuel economy numbers? I'm sure there are some folks out there with track day numbers that are entirely different. Post pictures if you have them.

  2. Remove Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    627
    Likes (Given)
    212
    Likes (Received)
    241
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Mileage Thread

    The computer bottoms out at 8mpg on the track although it is worse than that. I'm curious if anyone has actually calculated true track mpg. I don't fill at the pump so i dont really know... I estimate the approx amount to add without overfilling with my flofast pump.

    Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk
    2015 Cayman S | 6spd | X73 | SC | PTV | IPD Plenum | K&N |Cargraphic Race Headers | Borla Exhaust | COBB Tuned | 331 whp 277 wtrq

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    903
    Likes (Given)
    339
    Likes (Received)
    391
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    I am curious as to what engine you have - the 2.7 or the 3.4? I have only seen mileage like that on straight highway cruising with my S. On my usual jaunts up to the highlands that you are familiar with, I usually wind up around 10 L/100 km, and my average speed is not that much higher than yours. I do cane it pretty hard in the fun stretches - it's always in Sport mode and I wind it out when I can.
    2016 CS, Guards Red, Black Interior, 20" Carrera S partially black, PDK, Sport Chrono, SportDesign Steering Wheel, Sports Seats +, PDLS with HBA, Convenience, Red Belts, Bose, SS sills illuminated, Wailing NA flat 6!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Planet-9.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    152
    Likes (Given)
    283
    Likes (Received)
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: beavanjb

    Re: Mileage Thread

    My 981 BS can average around 28 mpg on the highway doing 70 mph, but typically I average around 20 mpg doing my 25 mile round-trip commute with spirited driving.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    2013 Porsche Boxster S, Guards Red, 6-speed, 19" S wheels, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, AP Exhaust, AP Sport headers, BMC air filters

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    172
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    28
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    I'm also not seeing anywhere near that kind of mileage with the 3.4. I get perhaps 28 mpg (US) on a long distance cruise on the highway. Daily driving in Bay Area traffic I get 17-20 mpg. For twisty back roads, forget it!

    The 2.7 I rented before buying into the platform got the kind of mileage the OP is talking about. The gas meter on those would sit around 450-500 miles to go for freeway driving on a full tank. Mine shows about 350, maybe 375 under the same conditions.

    I also get a lot of soot on my exhaust tips. Has to be cleaned off every time I wash the car (1-2 weeks).

  8. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,287
    Likes (Given)
    497
    Likes (Received)
    578
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Round trip to Orlando airport, yesterday (260 miles), I showed 33.9 mpg on the computer as I pulled off I95 exit for home. This was averaging 70-75 mph most of the way. This was running in rain for about half the return trip with lights, wipers, and AC on.............not the first time I have seen this type of mileage. I saw some similar mileage in my 2014 too. 2.7L, PDK 19" PZeros, X73 running air at 30 front 32 rear.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    454
    Likes (Given)
    185
    Likes (Received)
    177
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSteve View Post
    I am curious as to what engine you have - the 2.7 or the 3.4?
    I have a Cayman GTS, so the 3.4. You can see that I managed to average 90kph over the drive so I wasn't holding back on what was mostly 80kph roads. But I started out early in the morning and the temp was perfect (AC not needed but warm enough for an efficient warm-up process).

    It may have something to do with my oil now that I think about it. I'm running Mobil-1 5w-50 (which is an approved weight).

    Transmission is 6M.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    FL - Florida
    Posts
    398
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    128
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    I've never paid much attention to the trip computer, but running down to an appointment last week 80 miles away on mostly county/state roads (no pure highway), I noticed I was having supernatural luck with the occasional traffic lights. I was most of the way there w/o stopping for a single red light, so I checked the computer and it was over 30mpg. When I got there it was at 32.0mpg. It had turned into a game by then, but on the return trip I started hitting all those lights I missed on the way down. I turned on the start/stop feature, and that plus the coasting feature allowed me to get home at 32.1mpg for 160 miles. I didn't really try any blatant mileage tricks. I drove using the CC set 7mph over the sped limit as much as traffic would allow.

    Can't say it was all that much fun driving that way, but I was pretty curious to see how it would end up. Now that I know, I can pretty much guarantee it won't happen again. Mileage Thread-lol-gif
    2015 CS, Agate Gray Metallic, PDK, PSE, X73, SC

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    61
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    38
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    My '15 BGTS with a PDK, on the open highway averaging 70-75 mph, will get 32-34 mpg. I too was amazed in the beginning and thought it was an anomaly, but over the past two years those numbers have been consistent. Pretty impressive for a 3.4 l. sports car that will crank out 330 HP!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    454
    Likes (Given)
    185
    Likes (Received)
    177
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GTS981 View Post
    My '15 BGTS with a PDK, on the open highway averaging 70-75 mph, will get 32-34 mpg. I too was amazed in the beginning and thought it was an anomaly, but over the past two years those numbers have been consistent. Pretty impressive for a 3.4 l. sports car that will crank out 330 HP!
    I was wondering if the top would have a detrimental effect on mileage, but clearly your experience indicates that it doesn't.

    My last NA sports car engine was a VR6 2.8L and on average the mileage was about the same as the 981. 20 years later and you get twice the HP with the same fuel economy. It's amazing!

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,065
    Likes (Given)
    57
    Likes (Received)
    241
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    43
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingMouse View Post
    I'm also not seeing anywhere near that kind of mileage with the 3.4. I get perhaps 28 mpg (US) on a long distance cruise on the highway. Daily driving in Bay Area traffic I get 17-20 mpg. For twisty back roads, forget it!

    The 2.7 I rented before buying into the platform got the kind of mileage the OP is talking about. The gas meter on those would sit around 450-500 miles to go for freeway driving on a full tank. Mine shows about 350, maybe 375 under the same conditions.

    I also get a lot of soot on my exhaust tips. Has to be cleaned off every time I wash the car (1-2 weeks).
    My ride: 2015 CGTS with PDK. in Sport mode, I generally get that 28 mpg for cruising... but with Sport mode turned off, e.g. "non-sport-y" but with auto-stop disabled, cruising I routinely get 30-31+ mpg, as when I come to the bay area from my "perch" up in the foothills (so, most of the trip is not in that nasty traffic you talk about. interestingly, on the same sort of trips with my first Cayman (an '07 2.7L), I would dearly get up to 30. I think the PDK's 7th gear and the more torquey 3.4 makes up for the increase in displacement.. Just my 2 cents.
    D

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    172
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    28
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D&D View Post
    My ride: 2015 CGTS with PDK. in Sport mode, I generally get that 28 mpg for cruising... but with Sport mode turned off, e.g. "non-sport-y" but with auto-stop disabled, cruising I routinely get 30-31+ mpg, as when I come to the bay area from my "perch" up in the foothills (so, most of the trip is not in that nasty traffic you talk about. interestingly, on the same sort of trips with my first Cayman (an '07 2.7L), I would dearly get up to 30. I think the PDK's 7th gear and the more torquey 3.4 makes up for the increase in displacement.. Just my 2 cents.
    D
    I'm on 6MT, sport mode off for my example figures That extra tall gear with the PDK might be making the difference. Not really worried about it. I've accepted the fact that my CS slurps fuel compared to the 128i I was driving previously. Completely different animal, and 28 really is not bad. The computer will show 30+ if I drive economically on smooth highway, but final numbers never work out that way once you add the town driving required.

    Which foothills is your perch in? I live at the base of the hills near where alum rock splits to highway 130.
    Last edited by TheFlyingMouse; 06-19-2017 at 04:35 PM.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    390
    Likes (Given)
    107
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Images
    4
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by syzdanski View Post
    The computer bottoms out at 8mpg on the track although it is worse than that. I'm curious if anyone has actually calculated true track mpg. I don't fill at the pump so i dont really know... I estimate the approx amount to add without overfilling with my flofast pump.

    Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk
    I've seen 16L/100km with the 3.2 Boxster,on the track, and as low as 25L/100km with the 981CS, which was also 10sec/lap faster!Mileage Thread

    In the real world 7 to 8L/100km is common.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2014 Cayman S
    2007 Cayman
    2000 Boxster S (Boxster owner since 1997)
    PCA National DE Instructor
    BMW CCA Instructor

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    7
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Around town (Columbia/Nashville) the trips are usually about 10-20 miles. Mid 20s is typical for what I see.
    My commute from Columbia to Huntsville, AL is usually 28-31 depending on how spirited I am and how much I play with the 'coast' feature on the PDK.
    Saw similar on trips to Knoxville and Gulfport MS. Even in Sport mode on long haul trips, we are talking 27+ MPG without effort.

    I find my GTS cruises the most comfortable (and efficient) at around 85 mph. 70 is not optimal.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    333
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    65
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    1

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by canux View Post
    What's your best or worst fuel economy numbers?
    Haven't been on the track or had a full tank of highway cruising.

    Best: 25.9
    Worst: 17.3
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-20-2017 at 07:59 AM.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    FL - Florida
    Posts
    398
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    128
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post

    I find my GTS cruises the most comfortable (and efficient) at around 85 mph. 70 is not optimal.
    What do you mean by efficient? Are you saying you get better mpg at 85mph than you do at 70mph? How do you burn less gas at higher rpms? That is a trick I'd like to learn.
    2015 CS, Agate Gray Metallic, PDK, PSE, X73, SC

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    632
    Likes (Given)
    84
    Likes (Received)
    125
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordan Shumway View Post
    What do you mean by efficient? Are you saying you get better mpg at 85mph than you do at 70mph? How do you burn less gas at higher rpms? That is a trick I'd like to learn.
    In top gear, my Cayman gets better mpg at 65 than 55 mph. And some speeds above 65 seems even better, but I haven't pinned them down exactly yet.

  20. #18
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,287
    Likes (Given)
    497
    Likes (Received)
    578
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    PDK sport mode 65 is probably 7th and 55 is 6th gear...engine rpm likely making the difference. That is what I see in my 2.7L.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    172
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    28
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordan Shumway View Post
    What do you mean by efficient? Are you saying you get better mpg at 85mph than you do at 70mph? How do you burn less gas at higher rpms? That is a trick I'd like to learn.
    Speed is a factor in the mileage equation. That's why we don't get the best mileage crawling in traffic at idle. But I am surprised that he's seeing improvements at 85 vs. 70 mph. We would need tabulated data with multiple samples to really find out though. This is all rough guesswork so far.

    (Edit: I really hope no one goes there... These are not hybrids afterall...)

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    632
    Likes (Given)
    84
    Likes (Received)
    125
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Mileage Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingMouse View Post
    We would need tabulated data with multiple samples to really find out though. This is all rough guesswork so far.

    (Edit: I really hope no one goes there... These are not hybrids afterall...)
    I get your point, but it might be nice to know "just in case" for situations where it's needed.

  23. Remove Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Instant gas mileage?
    By Santa Fe in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 10:26 AM
  2. Pictures Only new owners new thread
    By Papa in Austin in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Pictures & Video
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 12:36 PM
  3. Definative Ride-Height Thread!
    By JackWood in forum United Kingdom, Ireland Region
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-07-2006, 02:27 PM
  4. The Introductions Thread
    By john boggiano in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 07:22 PM
  5. Official Cayman Gathering Thread
    By K-Man S in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 01:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
« Back