Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

  1. #1
    geopoman is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    24
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Hi,

    Am considering upgrading my base Cayman to a Cayman R. If I go with Peridot Green, do board members think the color will be a pro or con in terms of desirability for resale down the road?

    Especially when compared with white?

    Thanks!


  2. #2
    cayman ace's Avatar
    cayman ace is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    93
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    I'm hoping since it is the "signature" R color being promoted that it will do as well as the other colors. I plan on keeping mine for awhile though.

  3. #3
    NE Spyder's Avatar
    NE Spyder is offline Porsche Specialist 500 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Greater Kansas City
    Posts
    660
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Quote Originally Posted by geopoman View Post
    Hi,

    Am considering upgrading my base Cayman to a Cayman R. If I go with Peridot Green, do board members think the color will be a pro or con in terms of desirability for resale down the road?

    Especially when compared with white?

    Thanks!
    Based upon what I have heard at car shows (where a Peridot Cayman R was present) people either really like it or hate it. It's one of those colors.

    But who are you buying the car for, yourself or the next owner? Buy it because you like it, not because the next owner might like it. That's the beauty of ordering a car, you choose exactly what you want!
    Afshin

    2011 Spyder - Basalt Black, Black Full Leather, 6MT, Sport Buckets, PSE

  4. #4
    meisme33's Avatar
    meisme33 is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    203
    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Personally... I think it is a plus. I would seek out and pay more for the color... but not everyone wants the same thing. Funny that my car is grey when I really wanted red, yellow, or blue... I echo the previous comment that you should get what YOU want, not what you think others will want later.

  5. #5
    ronaldvetteron's Avatar
    ronaldvetteron is offline Site Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,273
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    +1 on getting what you want. That is why I just ordered a Dark Blue Metallic Cayman R. For me, the combination with the silver trim is outstanding. I am not worried what others do or do not think about it.

  6. #6
    Singletrack's Avatar
    Singletrack is offline Porschiste
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,282
    Images
    7
    Downloads
    37
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    I'm not a fan of the Peridot, but totally agree with the others. Buy what you like - this car is for you. No one else.
    The Exocet - Cayman R - Black/Silver Contrast, Sport Bucket Seats, Full Leather/Alcantara, PCM, XM, SP+, Park Assist, Xenons, PDK, Sport Chrono+, Auto A/C, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Rain Sensor, Alcantara Sport Design Wheel, Silver hood emblem, "Copeland" Mesh, Carnewal GT Exhaust mod.

  7. #7
    drPhilGandini's Avatar
    drPhilGandini is online now Cayman GTS ordered...Dec delivery
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,086
    Images
    84
    Downloads
    18
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NE Spyder View Post
    ...
    But who are you buying the car for, yourself or the next owner? ...
    +1 If you are buying a car (or house, or <insert consumer durable here>) for its resale value, then it's an investment, not a consumption good. Then cars are, generally, poor investments. Even Porsches. Yes, some do appreciate in value, but generally they don't, and I doubt a Cayman R is among those that will appreciate. In fact, I personally hope they depreciate just like most cars, because I want to buy one in about 2-3 years!
    So, I sure hope you bought the Peridot R because you like the color. I saw one in the flesh at Rennsport and it's a great color. I'd choose it, but it is a personal preference. I also like very dark blue cars...

  8. #8
    zekeman's Avatar
    zekeman is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    58
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Agree, personal preference. I would prefer Meteor Grey - used to have a 997 in that color & really miss it. Have Black now, and would NEVER get another.
    Z
    jpccarguy likes this.

  9. #9
    workhurts is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    432
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    From my limited but fanatical experience with the M Coupe (also relatively low production numbers) and other 911 variants - it seems that initially wierd colors put off more customers than they pull in. In later years, they will pull in more customers because it increases the collectibility/uniqueness of the car.

    I put most of this to the fact that if you buy a 20 year old car chances are you aren't driving it every day so it's like a really loud tie. Most people wouldn't wear a really loud tie every day of the year but they'll bring one every now and then. Same with cars.

    I'm a fan of signature colors so I'd vote for the Peridot.

    I'm all for getting what you want but if you aren't 100% set on what you want or don't care that much then thinking about resale makes sense. Investment or not, who cares ... it's all about minimizing losses whenever you can.

    To all the people that say get what you want, you would not say the same thing if I said 'hey, I know you like blue but I know for sure that the resale on a blue car will be 20k worse than a black car'. I would hope that your color preference isn't worth $20k in cost to your pocket book. If I said the exact same thing but said $200 instead then you wouldn't care.

    It's all about the numbers regardless of how many of us thinking we're doing something because we 'like' it.

  10. #10
    NE Spyder's Avatar
    NE Spyder is offline Porsche Specialist 500 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Greater Kansas City
    Posts
    660
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Quote Originally Posted by workhurts View Post
    From my limited but fanatical experience with the M Coupe (also relatively low production numbers) and other 911 variants - it seems that initially wierd colors put off more customers than they pull in. In later years, they will pull in more customers because it increases the collectibility/uniqueness of the car.

    I put most of this to the fact that if you buy a 20 year old car chances are you aren't driving it every day so it's like a really loud tie. Most people wouldn't wear a really loud tie every day of the year but they'll bring one every now and then. Same with cars.

    I'm a fan of signature colors so I'd vote for the Peridot.

    I'm all for getting what you want but if you aren't 100% set on what you want or don't care that much then thinking about resale makes sense. Investment or not, who cares ... it's all about minimizing losses whenever you can.

    To all the people that say get what you want, you would not say the same thing if I said 'hey, I know you like blue but I know for sure that the resale on a blue car will be 20k worse than a black car'. I would hope that your color preference isn't worth $20k in cost to your pocket book. If I said the exact same thing but said $200 instead then you wouldn't care.

    It's all about the numbers regardless of how many of us thinking we're doing something because we 'like' it.
    I doubt that a difference in color will have that much of a negative impact on price. Yes it may make it harder to sell if you decide to do it yourself or a dealer may offer a couple thousand less but honestly why would anyone buy a color they don't like so they can save a couple thousand dollars? These cars are about emotion and that emotion is usually derived from the driving characteristics and looks. If it were only about money there are many other cars which will significantly reduce your financial risk and would be a much better choice. My opinion of course.
    Last edited by NE Spyder; 11-08-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Afshin

    2011 Spyder - Basalt Black, Black Full Leather, 6MT, Sport Buckets, PSE

  11. #11
    workhurts is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    432
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    I don't disagree. For a couple of grand, get the color you like. All I was saying is that it is about the numbers and not just pure emotion. I think the fact that you say 'if it's only a couple of grand' illustrates the point exactly.

    Since the OP is asking for an opinion, I'd say get whatever you like because the consequences of the decision are not huge.

    As much as I like Peridot, I'd be tempted by Signal Green if they hadn't already done it on the Cayman S Sport.

  12. #12
    hack's Avatar
    hack is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,237
    Images
    25
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    You can cut the price $5k, if I didn't like the color I wouldn't buy the car (for what it's worth I'm not a fan of Peridot). I think if the color appeals to the next owner he will pay fair market price for it or maybe more, you just need to find the right buyer.
    5-speed MT, 19" Carrera S wheels, Bi-Xenon Headlamps, Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor, Automatic Climate Control. Pioneer AVIC-X930BT NAV/CD/DVD/Bluetooth/Back Up Camera/HD Radio, Infinity Reference speakers, JL Audio 10" subwoofer, JL Audio Xd600/6 amplifier, Escort 9500ci detector/jammer, Porsche Mesh, Schild Frunk protector, LLoyds frunk mat, aluminum sport pedals, LED Spars, OEM SSK, Sprint Booster, BMC Air Filter, GT Exhaust

  13. #13
    STLPCA's Avatar
    STLPCA is offline Site Donor
    2,000 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    2,564
    Downloads
    102
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Quote Originally Posted by geopoman View Post
    Am considering upgrading my base Cayman to a Cayman R. If I go with Peridot Green, do board members think the color will be a pro or con in terms of desirability for resale down the road?

    Especially when compared with white?
    To answer your question - a Peridot car will have reduced desirability and hence lower resale/trade value down the road.
    Dan
    National PCA DE Instructor
    2006 Cayman S 3.8L 997S X51 Turbo

  14. #14
    3G3T7I's Avatar
    3G3T7I is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    500 post club
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    644
    Images
    11
    Downloads
    69
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Unfortunately or otherwise color can not be quantified by the time I sell or trade my cars. I think the majority opinion points to getting what you want, but if you want something with future value I'm sure there is an appropriate color.

  15. #15
    dave-t's Avatar
    dave-t is offline Porsche Idealist 500 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    909
    Images
    6
    Downloads
    63
    Uploads
    0
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: rockexcalibur

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Color is preference not everyone likes the wild exotic colors. White, black and silver are safe colors. I picked up today my Cayman R which is white. Online pictures do not do white any justice at all. All I can say is wow, when I saw my car today I fell in love second time. My first was my wife.

    dave-t
    2010 Black Cayman (Deceased)
    2012 Cararra White Cayman R and Black 2011 Cayenne V6

  16. #16
    geopoman is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    24
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Quote Originally Posted by STLPCA View Post
    To answer your question - a Peridot car will have reduced desirability and hence lower resale/trade value down the road.
    Thanks...but why do say this? You may well be correct -- just wondering if this comment is based on observation / data points, or personal perception. Please clarify.

    Here's a question for you. If, all things being equal, you could get a Peridot for $5k less than other colors, would you consider that to be a bargain despite the potential for lower resale value?

  17. #17
    Budman's Avatar
    Budman is online now Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PA & FL
    Posts
    1,251
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    I think Peridot is a great color for a sports car and should add a premium not a discount. Our Caymans all say "look at me" to a great extent, but the Peridot just says it louder. Now Peridot in a minivan..... not so good. I wouldn't hesitate buying a Peridot Cayman at all. And I'd be willing to take the risk of it being a premium resale color because I think it will be. Enjoy what every color you get. They're all great.

  18. #18
    CrocRDoc's Avatar
    CrocRDoc is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dave-t View Post
    Color is preference not everyone likes the wild exotic colors. White, black and silver are safe colors. I picked up today my Cayman R which is white. Online pictures do not do white any justice at all. All I can say is wow, when I saw my car today I fell in love second time. My first was my wife.

    dave-t
    Well said. For my 2012 CR I was gray, white, peridot, silver, black, all over the place trying to decide... looked at pics and not much help... I went with white even though the pictures hardly ever do it justice... had a white 944 and thought it was really nice, so thought it should be safe bet... and it was . I can't imagine anything prettier, but I'm sure we all say that. I know I picked the right color now... for me, anyway... has anyone ever said a Cayman doesn't look good in X color? I really like the Peridot, but I was afraid too flashy for an old fart like me. So, that leaves the Perfect color as: whatever you like the best.
    2012 Cayman R / PDK, SC
    Delivery 11/1/11

  19. #19
    DaveN007's Avatar
    DaveN007 is offline Caymaniac
    5,000 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,613
    Images
    12
    Downloads
    37
    Uploads
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CaymanGT

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    I have created a chart for you that answers your question as best as can be possibly answered. This is why I went with white. That and the fact that they only had one R, and it was white. Just think if your livelihood depended upon selling AYDS weight loss candy back in the 80s.


    Year Sold Percentage +/- for Peridot

    2015-2020 -2
    2021-2025 -90 (color will be associated with discharge associated with flu that kills millions in 2021)
    2025-2050 +80 (car readily hidden in the bushes from UN Car Confiscation patrols)
    2050-2100 0
    2112 and beyond +1000 (only Peridot cars will be considered truly R cars after comet collides with Earth, wiping out all sources of information except one issue of Road and Track.

    For the youngsters:

    2007 Speed Yellow Cayman GT 2.7 (retired)
    2008 Guards Red Cayman GT 3.4 (retired)
    2012 Carrara White Cayman R (retired)
    "Carpe Cayman"

  20. #20
    Chomper's Avatar
    Chomper is offline Northeast Group Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    296
    Images
    29
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Peridot Green | Cayman R: Eventual Resale ?

    I think if one puts too much emphasis on resale value in purchasing a car you are doing yourself a disservice and won't be able to fully enjoy the Cayman experience. First you worry about color...what next? Options? Mileage? Seems like you're getting rid of the car before you even driven it home. As its been said get what YOU want. Most of all...don't settle.

    As far as Peridot goes ... I love the color when it's on someone else's car.
    2007 PORSCHE Cayman S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •