Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 185
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

  1. #101
    CaymanPower is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    464
    Images
    53
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    That makes the 1M Coupe even more appealing rigth now.


  2. #102
    CaymanPower is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    464
    Images
    53
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe


  3. #103
    peterbigblock's Avatar
    peterbigblock is offline Built for speed AND comfort.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    199
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by CaymanPower View Post
    That makes the 1M Coupe even more appealing rigth now.
    I agree with that. While I'll choose the Porsches in terms of dynamics and driver feel, especially on the track, and as the "can afford either one" option (if you can, that is), the 1M is the most enticing BMW to me in a while. Especially since it's a boosted motor, which is very easy to coax appreciable power out of. It is here that Porsche has left the Cayman on the shelf a bit, throwing a measly 10 hp at the "R".

    For the cost of the Cayman R, and if one were mod-inclined, you could imagine a hell of a 1M in terms of handling, power, and balance. Not to go off-topic, but oh how I wish Porsche would leave the 911-protection aside and put the 3.6 or 3.8 into a Cayman "RS", Boxster "R" or some-such.

    But I digress. I like the looks of the 1M and so does my wife. Could make a great addition to our stable: a great track day car for her, and she can pick the kids up with it, too! Can't do that with a Cayman. Hmmm...
    2005 Boxster S -- Midnight Blue/Sand Beige full leather with a few modifications here and there.

  4. #104
    CaymanPower is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    464
    Images
    53
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by peterbigblock View Post

    But I digress. I like the looks of the 1M and so does my wife. Could make a great addition to our stable: a great track day car for her (...)
    Be careful she might embarrass you on the track...

  5. #105
    BobbyK is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Nirvana,

    I've owned BMW 3 & 5 Series since 1993, but have always been interested in Porsches. I've been seriously considering the next-gen Cayman S but still confused between it and the 911. So I decided to attend the 2-day Porsche Sport Driving School in Alabama.

    I attended this past Tuesday and Wednesday, and what an amazing experience. I've only been home from the airport 6 hours.

    For me, Porsche now resides on a completely different level from BMW. I drove Cayman S's with manuals and PDK's, a Boxster with PDK, a Boxster Spyder with PDK, Cayenne S's and 911's with manuals and PDK's. I also did an AX in a Panamera Turbo and hot laps (instructor driven) in the Panamera Turbo and 911 Turbo.

    We drove the snot out of those cars, from 9am-4pm, and not one single car developed a problem. These were all factory stock cars. The build quality and performance of each of these cars was amazing, including the base Boxster.

    It was a humiliating experience for me, because I didn't realize I didn't know how to drive. But I now have respect for the brand that I never felt for any automobile. Porsches are truly special vehicles. Although I still haven't decided between the Cayman S and 911S, probably the most impressive car for me was the Spyder. Really a special vehicle, and one I would buy in a heartbeat if I could afford a weekend car.

    There is no substitute. Believe it! Good luck in your quest.

  6. #106
    CaymanPower is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    464
    Images
    53
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe


  7. #107
    CaymanPower is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    464
    Images
    53
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Some information:

    April 20, 2011 - New York - Scion unveiled the rear-wheel drive FR-S Concept sports coupe today at the 2011 New York International Auto Show. The concept, which sets out to stimulate the souls of true driving enthusiasts, will be at the Scion display through May 1. The FR-S Concept will inspire a new model coming to the Scion brand next year.

    The FR-S Concept, which stands for Front-engine, Rear-wheel drive, Sport; is Scion’s definition of an authentic rear-wheel-drive sports car with compelling style, exceptionally balanced performance and handling, flexible utility and surprising MPG.

    “Scion is always experimenting with new things,” said Jack Hollis, Scion vice president. “The brand is iconic with the xB, adrenalized by the tC, and groundbreaking with the iQ. The FR-S will expand the brand into yet another new dimension that I know it is truly destined for.”

    The FR-S is a true “scion,” born into a lengthy history of Toyota performance cars and motorsports. The sports coupe is most inspired by the AE86 generation of the Corolla, better known as the Hachi-Roku, meaning “8-6” in Japanese. The front-engine, rear-wheel drive coupe was lightweight and well balanced, making it a solid choice for driving enthusiasts.

    Inspired by the AE86, the FR-S is built around the core goal of achieving “pure balance,” which begins with the strategic placement of a flat 2.0-liter boxer engine in a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration. The engine’s compact size and shape allows the FR-S’ powertrain to be mounted lower and further back towards the rear, giving the car a lower center of gravity and a dynamically favorable front-to-rear weight ratio.

    The FR-S’ naturally-aspirated engine is innovative, being the first boxer to incorporate Toyota’s D4-S injection system, which utilizes both direct and port injection, resulting in increased horsepower and torque throughout the entire powerband, without sacrificing MPG.

    The flat-four can mate with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual offers quick and precise shifts with a short-throw, while the automatic transmission features aggressive, sporty shifts that are initiated by steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Power is distributed effectively via a limited-slip differential.

    The idea of “pure balance” is further realized by the FR-S’ lightweight design and short wheelbase. The combination allows the car to be quick and nimble into and out of any corner, with dynamic maneuverability and confident stability.

    “Akio Toyoda has mentioned that he is going to bring the fun-to-drive spirit back to Toyota,” Hollis said. “I know that the Scion FR-S Concept is one of the ways that he plans to accomplish that.”

    Toyota USA Newsroom | Scion Introduces FR-S Sports Coupe Concept at 2011 New York Auto Show
    Last edited by CaymanPower; 05-20-2011 at 03:11 AM.

  8. #108
    CaymanPower is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    464
    Images
    53
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Some more photos:






  9. #109
    CaymanPower is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    464
    Images
    53
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    And more:








    What do you think?

  10. #110
    jpccarguy's Avatar
    jpccarguy is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,105
    Images
    5
    Downloads
    43
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by CaymanPower View Post
    What do you think?
    Are you for real? A 2 liter engine in a Toyota? On a Porsche Cayman forum?

    Calls into question exactly what you're looking for in a vehicle. Driving dynamics count more for me than what it looks like. Though one factor for me that eliminated the 1M is the fact that it looks like a circus wagon. If I can get the sublime handling and have it look like one of the coolest cars on the planet, then the R suddenly makes the grade.

    YMMV

    John

  11. #111
    preetham is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    124
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Love what i see and have read about the toyota so far. Will surely be the first to line up to drive this...would be a great daily driver alongside my Spyder If they get it right, this will surely be one of the most exciting cars under 100K in recent time.
    Due to the unfortunate events in Japan, i hope its release does not get delayed further.

  12. #112
    CaymanPower is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    464
    Images
    53
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by jpccarguy View Post
    Are you for real? A 2 liter engine in a Toyota? On a Porsche Cayman forum?
    You will see 2 liter engines with a turbo in Caymans and Boxsters. BMW has already started replacing their inline six engines by a new 2.0 liter TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine .

    Besides, this Toyota has a boxer engine and driving dynamics is its main goal. (Also, the Lotus Evora has a Toyota engine.)

    Don't deny what you don't know.
    Last edited by CaymanPower; 05-20-2011 at 09:56 AM.

  13. #113
    K-Man S's Avatar
    K-Man S is offline Admin & Founder

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    30,471
    Images
    4456
    Downloads
    253
    Uploads
    118
    Blog Entries
    14
    My Classifieds
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: KenDude

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    I don't think you can open the trunk on that Scion, the rear tail lights are single piece and attached to the trunk lid and fender.

    Could be an interesting car, but might also have a cheap $12K car interior, etc. so I'll wait to see how the production car really comes out.

  14. #114
    ralarcon's Avatar
    ralarcon is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,248
    Downloads
    41
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    This car is clearly a new Celica, with a better engine and updated stiling. This car will not be anywhere near the ball park where the Cayman plays, and is designed towards a different customer profile. I'm not saying that this is not a worthwhile car, nor that at its price point, it might not be an outstanding car, however this is not Cayman competition.

    Cheers

  15. #115
    Norra Norra is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    54
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    I've been intrigued by the new scion as well, it loooks amazing, but these are concept car pics and the production models are usually not as appealing. However the fact that it will be a lightweight front engine design, rather inexpensive, and likely offer Toyota reliabily has me considering this as well as a used 2009 base Cayman. I just wish they had made this as a Lexus or at least a Toyota. I doubt you'll see the luxury items & quality most buyers on this forum are used to. But even with a NA 4 cylinder it should be a hoot to drive. Maybe even better then an S2000.

  16. #116
    CaymanPower is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    464
    Images
    53
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by ralarcon View Post
    This car is clearly a new Celica, with a better engine and updated stiling. This car will not be anywhere near the ball park where the Cayman plays, and is designed towards a different customer profile. I'm not saying that this is not a worthwhile car, nor that at its price point, it might not be an outstanding car, however this is not Cayman competition.

    Don't know why you say that... the S2000 was also a japanese 2 liter engined roadster that really was in the same ballpark as the Boxster.

    Why can't the FR-S Coupé be in the same ballpark as the Cayman?

    Power is cheaper these days.

  17. #117
    ralarcon's Avatar
    ralarcon is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,248
    Downloads
    41
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by CaymanPower View Post
    Don't know why you say that... the S2000 was also a japanese 2 liter engined roadster that really was in the same ballpark as the Boxster.

    Why can't the FR-S Coupé be in the same ballpark as the Cayman?

    Power is cheaper these days.
    I'm glad you used the S2000 analogy. It never competed in the same market as the Boxster base or S form. The evidence is , that the S2000 has been discontinued, for lack of interest and profitability, The Boxster is still with us. The performance profile of this new Toyota is, as of today, no where near the Cayman, as it stands at this moment, and it will be no where near the 2013 model Cayman S or base.

    Cheers

  18. #118
    preetham is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    124
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by ralarcon View Post
    I'm glad you used the S2000 analogy. It never competed in the same market as the Boxster base or S form. The evidence is , that the S2000 has been discontinued, for lack of interest and profitability, The Boxster is still with us. The performance profile of this new Toyota is, as of today, no where near the Cayman, as it stands at this moment, and it will be no where near the 2013 model Cayman S or base.

    Cheers
    It is incorrect to state that just because the S2000 has been discontinued is evidence that it never competed in the same space as the Boxster. Price too it not the only way to judge what market they compete in. They are a host of parameters like buyer interest, power, handling, etc.

    As a buyer, when i shop for a boxster\cayman, i was also considering a s2000, 370z and would surely consider the FR-S. i dont care about badge (agree with an earlier post though that would have loved it to be a Lexus for other reasons) or price (i have a ceiling, not a lower limit).
    Factors like, If i take a car to a track, how how they compare (especially for a track novice), how they compare as a daily driver are more important.
    Hence, as a buyer, as far as i am concerned all these cars fall in the same market.

  19. #119
    CaymanPower is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    464
    Images
    53
    Downloads
    13
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by ralarcon View Post
    I'm glad you used the S2000 analogy. It never competed in the same market as the Boxster base or S form. The evidence is , that the S2000 has been discontinued, for lack of interest and profitability, The Boxster is still with us.
    You are wrong. The S2000 was introduced to celebrate Honda's 50th anniversary and it was initially thought to be a limited edition model. However, the public demand was so high that Honda decided to sell it as a normal production model. The Boxster, on the other hand, was and still is absolutely strategic for Porsche sales.


    Quote Originally Posted by ralarcon View Post
    The performance profile of this new Toyota is, as of today, no where near the Cayman, as it stands at this moment, and it will be no where near the 2013 model Cayman S or base.
    You don't know that. And, most probably they are going to add a turbo version of the FR-S as this has basically a Subaru engine with Toyota's D4-S injection system which results from the Toyota/Subaru joint-venture in making this coupe.

    As I said, power is cheaper these days.

  20. #120
    ralarcon's Avatar
    ralarcon is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,248
    Downloads
    41
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Cayman S or BMW 1 Series M Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by preetham View Post
    It is incorrect to state that just because the S2000 has been discontinued is evidence that it never competed in the same space as the Boxster. Price too it not the only way to judge what market they compete in. They are a host of parameters like buyer interest, power, handling, etc.

    As a buyer, when i shop for a boxster\cayman, i was also considering a s2000, 370z and would surely consider the FR-S. i dont care about badge (agree with an earlier post though that would have loved it to be a Lexus for other reasons) or price (i have a ceiling, not a lower limit).
    Factors like, If i take a car to a track, how how they compare (especially for a track novice), how they compare as a daily driver are more important.
    Hence, as a buyer, as far as i am concerned all these cars fall in the same market.
    The fact of the matter is , the Honda S 2000 did not compete with the Boxster then, and is not competing now, notwithstanding what you prefer or like.

    Cheers

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 06-24-2012, 06:52 PM
  2. 02-25-2012, 09:47 PM
  3. 10-19-2011, 05:08 PM
  4. 10-19-2011, 05:04 PM
  5. 10-19-2011, 05:02 PM
  6. 06-05-2011, 12:13 PM
  7. 06-05-2011, 10:33 AM
  8. 06-05-2011, 08:22 AM
  9. 06-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •