Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    kjm's Avatar
    kjm
    kjm is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Sticky Clutch Pedal

    I experienced a "sticky clutch pedal" recently. Releasing clutch in 1st gear, and it only came back about 1/3 to 1/2 from the wall. Pulled over immediately and turned off engine. Played with pedal roughly half-dozen times --- pushing full in and releasing, then repeat, etc --- and eventually the pedal popped back out to its normal position. Re-started, and off I went without any more (apparent) problems.

    However, I am curious if anyone else has seen this, and what the remedy or consequences might be.

    N.B. The car was "hot" at the time --- had just been parked for 2-3 minutes after a good run of about 10 to 15 minutes.
    06 CayS, AS/Black, PASM, SportSteer, ShortShifter, Gt3 MasterCyl, Pagid Yellow
    --------------------------------------------------------


  2. #2
    Gator Bite's Avatar
    Gator Bite is offline PCA Register Coordinator
    7,000 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,269
    Images
    721
    Downloads
    171
    Uploads
    16
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    I see your car is an 06, and you said it was hot at the time. Has the clutch come back?

    This sounds a lot like the clutch slave problem that affected some 07/08 cars, from a bad batch of slaves, but I've never heard of that effecting 2006 cars.

    Your car might benefit from a fluid flush. Have you ever changed the brake/clutch fluid?
    Gator Bite
    PCA Cayman Register Advocate

    I don't visit very often. If you'd like to contact me, you can send me an e-mail.

  3. #3
    beez's Avatar
    beez is offline Site Donor
    6,000 post club
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    6,825
    Images
    13
    Downloads
    55
    Uploads
    3

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Bite View Post
    I see your car is an 06, and you said it was hot at the time. Has the clutch come back?

    This sounds a lot like the clutch slave problem that affected some 07/08 cars, from a bad batch of slaves, but I've never heard of that effecting 2006 cars.

    Your car might benefit from a fluid flush. Have you ever changed the brake/clutch fluid?
    I believe there were some late-build '06 cars caught in the "bad clutch slave" snafu -

    To the OP- you might want to talk with a dealer and see if your VIN is in the range for the replacement campaign. If not, you should keep a very watchful eye on it. You should have flushed the brake (and thus clutch) fluid at the two year mark, if not, it might be something you want to get done.

    brad
    22-year PCA Member
    PCA DE Instructor

  4. #4
    kjm's Avatar
    kjm
    kjm is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by beez View Post
    I believe there were some late-build '06 cars caught in the "bad clutch slave" snafu -

    To the OP- you might want to talk with a dealer and see if your VIN is in the range for the replacement campaign. If not, you should keep a very watchful eye on it. You should have flushed the brake (and thus clutch) fluid at the two year mark, if not, it might be something you want to get done.

    brad
    Car is a relatively early build (11/05).

    Brake fluid last flushed about 6 weeks ago by professional shop with which I have had good experience.
    06 CayS, AS/Black, PASM, SportSteer, ShortShifter, Gt3 MasterCyl, Pagid Yellow
    --------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    kjm's Avatar
    kjm
    kjm is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Bite View Post
    I see your car is an 06, and you said it was hot at the time. Has the clutch come back?

    This sounds a lot like the clutch slave problem that affected some 07/08 cars, from a bad batch of slaves, but I've never heard of that effecting 2006 cars.

    Your car might benefit from a fluid flush. Have you ever changed the brake/clutch fluid?
    Yes, the clutch came back in a minute or two. Fluid changed ~6 weeks ago.
    06 CayS, AS/Black, PASM, SportSteer, ShortShifter, Gt3 MasterCyl, Pagid Yellow
    --------------------------------------------------------

  6. #6
    beez's Avatar
    beez is offline Site Donor
    6,000 post club
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    6,825
    Images
    13
    Downloads
    55
    Uploads
    3

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by kjm View Post
    Car is a relatively early build (11/05).

    Brake fluid last flushed about 6 weeks ago by professional shop with which I have had good experience.
    In that case, keep a good eye on it, this might be the signs of the clutch slave on it's way out...

    brad
    22-year PCA Member
    PCA DE Instructor

  7. #7
    ninja's Avatar
    ninja is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    glasgow
    Posts
    63
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    i thought something similar was happening to my cayman but it seems that the footwell mat was catching on the pedal when it was fully depressed.

    very annoying thought

    ninja

  8. #8
    Gator Bite's Avatar
    Gator Bite is offline PCA Register Coordinator
    7,000 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,269
    Images
    721
    Downloads
    171
    Uploads
    16
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    OK, if it came back, then it's intermittent. That means you dodged the loose pressure plate bullet and are probably looking at a slave issue.

    Talk to your dealer, tell them to check your car against workshop campaign W-802. If it gets stuck again, pull off the road and when safe, reach down and pull it up. It should get you home.
    Gator Bite
    PCA Cayman Register Advocate

    I don't visit very often. If you'd like to contact me, you can send me an e-mail.

  9. #9
    extanker is offline On Probation 500 post club
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    trenton nj
    Posts
    582
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    i see you had the clutch serviced [fluid] but you said "hot" so i think it still can be a fluid issue. check with the shop and see if they used a high temp and most important fresh fluid.i think the fluid has a shelf life of 4/6 weeks after that it gets water in it and it 'boils' thats why your pedal fail when hot

  10. #10
    kjm's Avatar
    kjm
    kjm is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by beez View Post
    In that case, keep a good eye on it, this might be the signs of the clutch slave on it's way out...

    brad
    Thanks for the advice. I will do so. Any other signs to watch?
    06 CayS, AS/Black, PASM, SportSteer, ShortShifter, Gt3 MasterCyl, Pagid Yellow
    --------------------------------------------------------

  11. #11
    kjm's Avatar
    kjm
    kjm is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by extanker View Post
    i see you had the clutch serviced [fluid] but you said "hot" so i think it still can be a fluid issue. check with the shop and see if they used a high temp and most important fresh fluid.i think the fluid has a shelf life of 4/6 weeks after that it gets water in it and it 'boils' thats why your pedal fail when hot
    Interesting...High temp (racing) fluid was installed in June. Haven't noticed any issues with the brakes. If the fluid were off, would this affect the brake feel as well?

    By "hot" I mean simply that I had been running strong for 5-10 minutes, then stopped (engine on) for 2-3 minutes or so, and on re-engaging 1st gear the first time is when the clutch pedal became temporarily sticky.
    06 CayS, AS/Black, PASM, SportSteer, ShortShifter, Gt3 MasterCyl, Pagid Yellow
    --------------------------------------------------------

  12. #12
    kjm's Avatar
    kjm
    kjm is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Bite View Post
    OK, if it came back, then it's intermittent. That means you dodged the loose pressure plate bullet and are probably looking at a slave issue.

    Talk to your dealer, tell them to check your car against workshop campaign W-802. If it gets stuck again, pull off the road and when safe, reach down and pull it up. It should get you home.
    Thanks a lot for the advice! I will do so.
    06 CayS, AS/Black, PASM, SportSteer, ShortShifter, Gt3 MasterCyl, Pagid Yellow
    --------------------------------------------------------

  13. #13
    kjm's Avatar
    kjm
    kjm is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by ninja View Post
    i thought something similar was happening to my cayman but it seems that the footwell mat was catching on the pedal when it was fully depressed.

    very annoying thought

    ninja

    If only that would explain my experience! .... The mats were out of the car at the time.

    Thanks, though.
    06 CayS, AS/Black, PASM, SportSteer, ShortShifter, Gt3 MasterCyl, Pagid Yellow
    --------------------------------------------------------

  14. #14
    beez's Avatar
    beez is offline Site Donor
    6,000 post club
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    6,825
    Images
    13
    Downloads
    55
    Uploads
    3

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by kjm View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I will do so. Any other signs to watch?
    Only other sign would be hydraulic (brake) fluid on the floor, but the under-body cladding might catch it. Many folks have reported no leakage before the pedal went flat... As Gator said, pulling the pedal up will probably get you home, but sometimes these intermittent problems can be hard to duplicate once you get the car to the dealer. Another way is (if you have the time, and where the car stops is not dangerous) if this happens again - leave the pedal on the floor and call roadside assistance to take the car to the dealer - they will have the problem in front of them, and have to fix it, rather than having to duplicate it for the dealer - but of course that's a lot of time and hassle.

    brad
    22-year PCA Member
    PCA DE Instructor

  15. #15
    extanker is offline On Probation 500 post club
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    trenton nj
    Posts
    582
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by kjm View Post
    Interesting...High temp (racing) fluid was installed in June. Haven't noticed any issues with the brakes. If the fluid were off, would this affect the brake feel as well?

    By "hot" I mean simply that I had been running strong for 5-10 minutes, then stopped (engine on) for 2-3 minutes or so, and on re-engaging 1st gear the first time is when the clutch pedal became temporarily sticky.
    we are missing something here....do you have a hyd. clutch ? does it use the same type fluid as the brakes do [ie dot 3/dot4/dot5] ?many autos use the same fluid for brakes and hyd clutch[seperate systems] look at the clutch fluid,if its funky black flush it with fresh high temp fluid. brake/clutch fluid is hydoscopic and the old stuff will boil at a lower temp making air in a hyd system which will give you a stuck/funkadellic pedal...corvettes are notorious for it. once it cools down at bit the pedal returns [pun intended] to normal

  16. #16
    beez's Avatar
    beez is offline Site Donor
    6,000 post club
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    6,825
    Images
    13
    Downloads
    55
    Uploads
    3

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by extanker View Post
    we are missing something here....do you have a hyd. clutch ? does it use the same type fluid as the brakes do [ie dot 3/dot4/dot5] ?many autos use the same fluid for brakes and hyd clutch[seperate systems] look at the clutch fluid,if its funky black flush it with fresh high temp fluid. brake/clutch fluid is hydoscopic and the old stuff will boil at a lower temp making air in a hyd system which will give you a stuck/funkadellic pedal...corvettes are notorious for it. once it cools down at bit the pedal returns [pun intended] to normal
    In the late-model Porsches, the master cylinder uses the same reservoir for both the brakes and the clutch.

    brad
    22-year PCA Member
    PCA DE Instructor

  17. #17
    extanker is offline On Probation 500 post club
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    trenton nj
    Posts
    582
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    thank you....can the clutch slave be bled/flushed ?

  18. #18
    kjm's Avatar
    kjm
    kjm is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by beez View Post
    Only other sign would be hydraulic (brake) fluid on the floor, but the under-body cladding might catch it. Many folks have reported no leakage before the pedal went flat... As Gator said, pulling the pedal up will probably get you home, but sometimes these intermittent problems can be hard to duplicate once you get the car to the dealer. Another way is (if you have the time, and where the car stops is not dangerous) if this happens again - leave the pedal on the floor and call roadside assistance to take the car to the dealer - they will have the problem in front of them, and have to fix it, rather than having to duplicate it for the dealer - but of course that's a lot of time and hassle.

    brad

    Will report further after trip to dealer for in-warranty service. They asserted that "are no outstanding service items on your car." Porsche service protocol seems to be to bleed the clutch fluid, then see if the problem re-appears. FWIW... Hopefully (or not!) more to say later...
    06 CayS, AS/Black, PASM, SportSteer, ShortShifter, Gt3 MasterCyl, Pagid Yellow
    --------------------------------------------------------

  19. #19
    kjm's Avatar
    kjm
    kjm is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Well, dealer *did not* bleed or replace clutch fluid, instead, deciding on an inspection, that came up negative. Hopefully no more issues with a sticky clutch pedal...

    At least the wimpy horn is fixed!
    06 CayS, AS/Black, PASM, SportSteer, ShortShifter, Gt3 MasterCyl, Pagid Yellow
    --------------------------------------------------------

  20. #20
    extanker is offline On Probation 500 post club
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    trenton nj
    Posts
    582
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Sticky Clutch Pedal

    Quote Originally Posted by kjm View Post
    Well, dealer *did not* bleed or replace clutch fluid, instead, deciding on an inspection, that came up negative. Hopefully no more issues with a sticky clutch pedal...

    At least the wimpy horn is fixed!
    if it happens again and its a real hot day and you have been really running the car hard it maybe the fluid...i,m a tad surprised the dealer didnt flush it..did they "stick" the fluid for water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •