Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    4by4's Avatar
    4by4 is offline Crusin worlds most isolated city
    3,000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    down-under
    Posts
    3,588
    Images
    37
    Downloads
    40
    Uploads
    2
    Blog Entries
    8

    Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Ive had enough!
    If you have had the dreaded wheel hop problem or have noticed an extreme vibration on launch or when powering down, please post here.

    Problem:
    On a hard launch, or in other situations like a wet road in second gear with power down, I can get what appears to be a wheel hoping vibration or a vibration where there is a loud banging sound.

    I wrote an offical letter to Porsche about this and the reply was they "we have not had any other complaints about it" WTH?? Is no one complaining to Porsche about this or is it just a few of us that that put up with it and dont say anything to our dealer or is the dealer not passing this on?? [admitally I did not complain about my last CS doing this] No ones complains so it must not exist!?? WTH? Bad case of denial going on here .

    Well something I observed when watching a HD recording of an episode of Top Gear on TV today may shed a bit of light on the problem. If you watch the Stig launch the Boxster Spyder around the Top Gear track you can see what appears to be this problem . Its interesting to note that the wheels do not actually hop but that the exhaust tip vibrate up and down a huge amount. This I figure must be due to the engine vibrating on the mounts and the longish exhaust pipes moving a larger amount owing to the axis of moment (leverage effect). As the exhaust is super stiff, I very much doubt it is actually just the exhaust pipes flexing and resonating. In any case I note that an '06 with stock and Milltek exhausts and current '10 with stock and Capristoicon also does it.

    With this thought I will recontact the offical channels and tell them to watch the video (need a HD clip).
    Other thoughts, feedback, theories etc, please comment.
    2010 Cayman S, special build.


  2. #2
    stevewen1's Avatar
    stevewen1 is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    126
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    I think what you have experience was PSM kicking on.

  3. #3
    extanker is offline On Probation 500 post club
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    trenton nj
    Posts
    582
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    can you make wheel hop go away on IRS ? no ! but some can lessen it by different tires,psi and temp....next are things that can help with wheel hop BUT make the car unlikeable to drive....fully adjustable coil overs ,solid mounts: engine/trans,suspension,alignment,ride height...to make matters worse you can have 2 cars alike...one will hop one wont

  4. #4
    HassaanAbdeen's Avatar
    HassaanAbdeen is online now Life is a wonder.. My life that is!
    4,000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jordanian in Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    4,710
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Everybody knows I have a wheel hop but my case won't help your case!

    My 2 cents:
    1) Take it to the dealer and show him the wheel hop for him to back you up.
    2) Check with Porsche club in your city for other members who are having the smae problem.
    2015 991 turbo (Rhodium Silver on Black/Garnet Red)... ordered
    2006 3.7L Cayman turbo S (Arctic Silver on black)... sold

    "Remember, it only took Marty Mcfly 88mph to travel through time in the DeLorean! I would hate for you to accidentally land in a time without petrol!" ...JB

  5. #5
    gasman1's Avatar
    gasman1 is offline Site Donor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    424
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    The only time I ever launched at full power, I had such severe wheel hop that I had to shut down. The combination of the motor and wheel movement caused my passenger side half-axle to scrape against the Fabspeedicon head pipe on that side and leaving both scratched up. The pipes shouldn't have ever touched the axle, but the Fabspeed fitment on that side is too close for my particular Cayman. I've heard that harder motor mounts help reduce hop but they also cause a lot more motor vibration to be felt. I'm sure that an LSD or a TBD would also help reduce ping-pong hop.
    Gary

    2009 2.9L Guards Red Cayman: 18" S wheels + SC + PSM + PDK. Added: FVD exhaust,
    GIAC DME code, Evoms V-Flow filter with partial desnork, SS brake lines, H&R rear bar
    with Tarett links, matte black side vents and front grill mesh, and 3M 50% window tint.

  6. #6
    DrKareem's Avatar
    DrKareem is offline Porsche Orator 1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bahrain
    Posts
    1,648
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: kareem330

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    is it only in manuals?

    PDK in LC never gave me wheel hops launching at 6.5/7k RPM.
    2010 Porsche Cayman S PDK

  7. #7
    4by4's Avatar
    4by4 is offline Crusin worlds most isolated city
    3,000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    down-under
    Posts
    3,588
    Images
    37
    Downloads
    40
    Uploads
    2
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by stevewen1 View Post
    I think what you have experience was PSM kicking on.
    With PSM off it still does it.


    Quote Originally Posted by HassaanAbdeen View Post
    Everybody knows I have a wheel hop but my case won't help your case!

    My 2 cents:
    1) Take it to the dealer and show him the wheel hop for him to back you up.
    2) Check with Porsche club in your city for other members who are having the same problem.
    Other members have it. The dealer does trys to fob it off.


    Quote Originally Posted by DrKareem View Post
    is it only in manuals?

    PDK in LC never gave me wheel hops launching at 6.5/7k RPM.
    I dont know about LC but I did see a brand new CS PDK do it, just not as bad.
    2010 Cayman S, special build.

  8. #8
    gtscayman's Avatar
    gtscayman is offline Boxster Buddy
    4,000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,102
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    I thought this was quite common knowledge - maybe it isn't? I've read about it in the car mags, and experienced wheel hop many times in both my CS and Boxster. Porsche even offers an adjustable engine mount option on the GT3 to minimize this.

    Given that 911's and 987's carry a lot of weight on the back, have relatively high rear spring rates, and quite sticky tires, something is going to give if it either doesn't hook up immediately or get quite a lot of wheel spin.

    I can see Porsche saying no one has 'complained' but I would be surprised if they don't know about it - the factory sure does.

    IRS isn't known as the hot set up for drag launches.
    GT Silver CS
    1980 Honda CBX
    2013 Aqua Boxster S - incoming
    2009 Infiniti FX50
    2012 Arctic Cat ProClimb 800

  9. #9
    Downunderporsche's Avatar
    Downunderporsche is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    222
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    I have experienced it numerous times, especially at motorkhana's with aggressive take off's.

    I saw the same episode with the Stig and it didn't look or sound to good on the take off.

    An Aussie car mag has also reported it with both Cayman and boxster models.

    Interestingly, I was taking a friend for a drive just yesterday for the first time, showing him the merits of the car. I did a launch at around 5K rpm, no wheel hop, just a bit of smoke and a lot of fun. The only difference was the car was facing slightly up hill and 2 people in the car, so more weight on the back of the car preventing the wheel hop.

    Try the old bag of cement in the rear boot, see if that helps.

  10. #10
    Mini Me's Avatar
    Mini Me is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    239
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4by4 View Post

    Well something I observed when watching a HD recording of an episode of Top Gear on TV today may shed a bit of light on the problem. If you watch the Stig launch the Boxster Spyder around the Top Gear track you can see what appears to be this problem . Its interesting to note that the wheels do not actually hop but that the exhaust tip vibrate up and down a huge amount.
    Check out this video at 41 seconds and at 2 minutes 28 seconds.

    2010 Tesla Roadster Sport vs 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder Comparison - Motor Trend Video

  11. #11
    harryrcb's Avatar
    harryrcb is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    80
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Smile Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4by4 View Post
    Ive had enough!
    If you have had the dreaded wheel hop problem or have noticed an extreme vibration on launch or when powering down, please post here.

    Problem:
    On a hard launch, or in other situations like a wet road in second gear with power down, I can get what appears to be a wheel hoping vibration or a vibration where there is a loud banging sound.

    I wrote an offical letter to Porsche about this and the reply was they "we have not had any other complaints about it" WTH?? Is no one complaining to Porsche about this or is it just a few of us that that put up with it and dont say anything to our dealer or is the dealer not passing this on?? [admitally I did not complain about my last CS doing this] No ones complains so it must not exist!?? WTH? Bad case of denial going on here .

    Well something I observed when watching a HD recording of an episode of Top Gear on TV today may shed a bit of light on the problem. If you watch the Stig launch the Boxster Spyder around the Top Gear track you can see what appears to be this problem . Its interesting to note that the wheels do not actually hop but that the exhaust tip vibrate up and down a huge amount. This I figure must be due to the engine vibrating on the mounts and the longish exhaust pipes moving a larger amount owing to the axis of moment (leverage effect). As the exhaust is super stiff, I very much doubt it is actually just the exhaust pipes flexing and resonating. In any case I note that an '06 with stock and Milltek exhausts and current '10 with stock and Capristoicon also does it.

    With this thought I will recontact the offical channels and tell them to watch the video (need a HD clip).
    Other thoughts, feedback, theories etc, please comment.
    my 2 cents - had this problem with my box, took it to the dealer, nothing. jacked it up in my garage and found a broken motor mount. Not easy to see but it does all the things you are talking about. you almost have to remove the mount to see the damage.
    good luck
    Crazy Austrian
    http://www.ws-ab.com

  12. #12
    4by4's Avatar
    4by4 is offline Crusin worlds most isolated city
    3,000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    down-under
    Posts
    3,588
    Images
    37
    Downloads
    40
    Uploads
    2
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
    my 2 cents - had this problem with my box, took it to the dealer, nothing. jacked it up in my garage and found a broken motor mount. Not easy to see but it does all the things you are talking about. you almost have to remove the mount to see the damage.
    good luck
    Good idea, something I would not have expected to be possible.
    2010 Cayman S, special build.

  13. #13
    HassaanAbdeen's Avatar
    HassaanAbdeen is online now Life is a wonder.. My life that is!
    4,000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jordanian in Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    4,710
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4by4 View Post
    Good idea, something I would not have expected to be possible.
    It's a brand new car, I'd be surprised if this was the case and wonder how could it happen... but please update us!
    2015 991 turbo (Rhodium Silver on Black/Garnet Red)... ordered
    2006 3.7L Cayman turbo S (Arctic Silver on black)... sold

    "Remember, it only took Marty Mcfly 88mph to travel through time in the DeLorean! I would hate for you to accidentally land in a time without petrol!" ...JB

  14. #14
    harryrcb's Avatar
    harryrcb is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    80
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Smile Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4by4 View Post
    Good idea, something I would not have expected to be possible.
    BTW they make aftermarket semi rigid mounts to solve this problem as well
    Crazy Austrian
    http://www.ws-ab.com

  15. #15
    4by4's Avatar
    4by4 is offline Crusin worlds most isolated city
    3,000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    down-under
    Posts
    3,588
    Images
    37
    Downloads
    40
    Uploads
    2
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by harryrcb View Post
    BTW they make aftermarket semi rigid mounts to solve this problem as well
    From what I have read, semi solid mounts will also add a lot of vibration and some of this vibration may effect the knock sensors in the engine.
    2010 Cayman S, special build.

  16. #16
    harryrcb's Avatar
    harryrcb is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    80
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Smile Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4by4 View Post
    From what I have read, semi solid mounts will also add a lot of vibration and some of this vibration may effect the knock sensors in the engine.
    dont know about that since I put the oem back in, I suppose anything is possible
    Crazy Austrian
    http://www.ws-ab.com

  17. #17
    harryrcb's Avatar
    harryrcb is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    80
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4by4 View Post
    From what I have read, semi solid mounts will also add a lot of vibration and some of this vibration may effect the knock sensors in the engine.
    here is what they say about the semi solid mounts, these are used in spec racing
    Racing Engine Mount, Wevo, Boxster (986, 987)
    Crazy Austrian
    http://www.ws-ab.com

  18. #18
    dc216 is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    34
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    I get that when I launch hard with my manual or if the roads are slick. I always thought it was because my 2006 doesn't have LSD.

  19. #19
    harryrcb's Avatar
    harryrcb is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    80
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Smile Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by dc216 View Post
    I get that when I launch hard with my manual or if the roads are slick. I always thought it was because my 2006 doesn't have LSD.
    I'm pretty (99%) sure its you motor mount, it definately was in my case, I always launch hard and then one day I started getting the hop, which got worse over a short period of time, but like I said I always launch hard, why, cause it's fun! when I took it to the dealer (warranty) he claimed not to be able to see any problem with the mount, so I took matters into my own hands and jacked it up, pried here and there then spotted where the mount was moving excessively, unfortunately I should have checked around and found these competition mounts but I was in a hurry and got the OEM locally, good luck with yours . BTW you can change out your own if you can handle a wrench, the only trick is to support the front of the engine and be able to lower it just a little to get the mount out.
    Crazy Austrian
    http://www.ws-ab.com

  20. #20
    blueone's Avatar
    blueone is offline Site Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,847
    Images
    23
    Downloads
    51
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Wheel hop / vibration problem at launch. Porsche deny it so please log here.

    Quote Originally Posted by extanker View Post
    can you make wheel hop go away on IRS ? no ! but some can lessen it by different tires,psi and temp....next are things that can help with wheel hop BUT make the car unlikeable to drive....fully adjustable coil overs ,solid mounts: engine/trans,suspension,alignment,ride height...to make matters worse you can have 2 cars alike...one will hop one wont
    I agree, you can lessen it. Stiffer shocks and bushings often help. I know someone with adjustable shocks on a Cayman that swears uneven rebound adjustment on the rears lessen hop.

    On Corvettes GM uses asymmetric axle shaft diameters to dull it, and in some 911s Porsche offers dynamic motor mounts, which they claim eliminates hop. The real solution is probably a torque arm, but there's no room to mount such a thing on the Cayman I can see, except underneath the engine and transaxle. I thought the more sophisticated 911 rear suspension would hop less than the trailing arms in the 987s, but 911s actually seem to hop just as much or more.

    My advice to people wanting to get perfect launches is to get a C4 Corvette and stick a 600hp engine in it. Due to the C4 suspension design they launch better than any car I've owned without a full-custom suspension. By modern standards the car itself isn't very good, but at least you'll have great launches. For whatever reason the BMW Z3 M Coupes also launch very nicely.

    I think I'll stick with the Cayman, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 10:25 AM
  2. N. Carolina X-post: Panamera Launch at Leith Porsche, Cary TONIGHT
    By Speedy in forum U.S. Southern Region
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 06:13 AM
  3. Panamera Launch at Leith Porsche, Cary TONIGHT
    By Speedy in forum Panamera Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 06:00 AM
  4. Broken Tabs No Problem at Factory
    By ed1 in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 08:53 AM
  5. Buy this at your Porsche Dealer!
    By Crazy_fast in forum Video Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 07:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •