Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By josephsdesimone

Thread: Power Window problem with door open/closing

  1. #1
    Crispy's Avatar
    Crispy is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    253
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Power Window problem with door open/closing

    '07 Cayman 2.7 w/ 54k. I have an intermittent problem where my window goes down slightly as it should when I pull the handle from outside but then goes back up when I let go. It's then in the up position when I go to close the door. Does this feature of the window cracking open when operating the doors need retraining or is that just the power up and down/home position?

    Second question- If I disconnect my battery, will my CDR24 need a security code to restart? Thanks, C.


  2. #2
    KS-CS's Avatar
    KS-CS is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    3,000 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    DFW TX
    Posts
    3,880
    Images
    425
    Downloads
    169
    Uploads
    8
    Blog Entries
    23
    My Classifieds

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Totally normal behavior - as least that's also what mine does.

    You do not need a security code for the CDR-24 if you disconnect the battery; it also has a non-volatile memory for your radio presets.

  3. #3
    Crispy's Avatar
    Crispy is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    253
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Quote Originally Posted by KS-CS View Post
    Totally normal behavior - as least that's also what mine does.
    Why do you say normal? There's a problem somewhere. It works properly from the inside and sometimes from the outside. And, this just started last week.... Pass side door seems OK. Thanks, C.

  4. #4
    PistolPete's Avatar
    PistolPete is offline Super Mod
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,391
    Images
    5262
    Downloads
    74
    Uploads
    1
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Try the reset procedure on the drivers side window. I believe it's just holding it in the up position for 15 seconds, look in the manual.

    Since the window goes back up, does it slam into the rubber lip of the window trim when trying to close the door now?

    If that doesn't do it you may need access to a dealer computer to run diagnostics on the door. There must be some sensor in there that controls this behavior.
    Pete
    2008 Meteor Grey Cayman S
    2007 Blue Slate Infiniti G35s 6-speed

  5. #5
    Budman's Avatar
    Budman is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PA & FL
    Posts
    1,257
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Quote Originally Posted by KS-CS View Post
    Totally normal behavior - as least that's also what mine does.

    You do not need a security code for the CDR-24 if you disconnect the battery; it also has a non-volatile memory for your radio presets.
    Mine doesn't go back up to the full close position until I close the door, not when I let go of the handle.

  6. #6
    josephsdesimone's Avatar
    josephsdesimone is offline The 2006-08 Cayman LED spar guy!
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,207
    Downloads
    211
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    '07 Cayman 2.7 w/ 54k. I have an intermittent problem where my window goes down slightly as it should when I pull the handle from outside but then goes back up when I let go. It's then in the up position when I go to close the door. Does this feature of the window cracking open when operating the doors need retraining or is that just the power up and down/home position?

    Second question- If I disconnect my battery, will my CDR24 need a security code to restart? Thanks, C.
    Hello Crispy,

    I had the exact same symptoms on the driver's side door of my CS. Mine was caused by an unrepairable microswitch located in the driver's door latch mechanism. Once removed from the door, I examined the latch assembly and found the tiny, delicate switch was beyond repair do to unattainable parts and a latch assembly that is un-openable.

    You'll probably notice that your interior light doesn't come on anymore either. With the door latch microswitch malfunctioning, the computer doesn't recognize that your door has been or is open.

    My CS was just out of warranty when this problem developed. The total repair was $388.55 (part # 3D1-837-015-C DOOR LOCK $156.65, labor and tax $223.90).

    My dealer said they've had quite a few of these go bad. If you examine the design of the microswitch, you'll see it is not a matter of abuse of hard use but simply a rather un-robust design.

    Best regards,

    Joe
    Last edited by josephsdesimone; 02-15-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added part # and pricing
    Jypson likes this.

  7. #7
    KS-CS's Avatar
    KS-CS is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    3,000 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    DFW TX
    Posts
    3,880
    Images
    425
    Downloads
    169
    Uploads
    8
    Blog Entries
    23
    My Classifieds

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Why do you say normal? There's a problem somewhere. It works properly from the inside and sometimes from the outside. And, this just started last week.... Pass side door seems OK. Thanks, C.
    Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you were describing . . .

  8. #8
    Crispy's Avatar
    Crispy is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    253
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Thanks J, Damn, this was not the answer I was looking for. If I remember, and hold the exterior latch handle up while closing the door and let it go right when the door closes, I can be the human microswitch. This may be my job for a while because I don't see diving into this one right away.

    Just for the record if it can help someone else, I fixed this same problem in my bro-in-law's TT by shimming the microswitch at the top of the windshield. It was in the convertible top latch. All it took was a small piece of duct tape on the switch lever in the driver side latch hole at the top of the windshield. C.

  9. #9
    VIEZUAUSTRALIA is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    9
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Hi guys

    I've come across a similar problem with my DE1 recently - if anyone can help with this I'd much appreciate it !

    It's been living outside for a few weeks and it's been raining a fair bit.

    The passenger side window decided to start dropping and then shutting as I'd start the car (dropping and then shutting as if you've half pulled the door handle to open the car - but don't open the door).

    It did this for 3 days - then on the 4th it did the same thing, but opened that little bit and then shut again, but this time did this twice.

    Day 5, it did the same as day 4. However I went out to see a load of clients - all fine - then when I get home in the evening I pull into the garage and as I turned the ignition OFF it decided to repeatedly open and close itself just that little bit - half an inch or so and shut -repeatedly.

    I couldn't over ride it with the door switch(es).

    I then managed to keep pressing down a few times and the window went all the way down.

    Then refused to come back up !

    Day 6 - start car - nothing happens - put window up - all fine so far.

    Try resetting the windows - all the way up for 15 seconds - all the way down for 15 seconds - all the way up again for 15 seconds - all fine again.

    Then - turn ignition off with window up - and it repeats again - up-down-up-down-up-down repeatedly and continues repeatedly(!)

    So I manage to get it down again and it stays there again.

    I've checked the window tracks for blockages. I've reset the windows. I found a website referring to Boxster problem with erratic windows saying it might be water damage shorting everything out - and to get it fixed quicksharp before it shorts everything else and it ends up in the shop for a week and a $5k bill.

    Any thoughts ?! I'm not touching it until I have a few more ideas...!

    thanks v much for any input

    Simon
    Last edited by VIEZUAUSTRALIA; 02-23-2012 at 05:17 PM.

  10. #10
    Rockster is offline Porsche Idealist 500 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    799
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    '07 Cayman 2.7 w/ 54k. I have an intermittent problem where my window goes down slightly as it should when I pull the handle from outside but then goes back up when I let go. It's then in the up position when I go to close the door. Does this feature of the window cracking open when operating the doors need retraining or is that just the power up and down/home position?

    Second question- If I disconnect my battery, will my CDR24 need a security code to restart? Thanks, C.
    The door latch switch is bad.

    When you pull on the inside/outside door handle the action causes the window to drop.

    If you release handle without opening the door the window should close.

    If you open the door to the point the door latch in the door frame releases this blocks the window from going up.

    Only when the door is closed again and that door latch secures the door closed should the window go up again.

    The switch in the door latch that signals the door is fully open is not working and this causes the window to raise.

    I do not know about the radio/stereo security code question other than the time I changed the battery in my 02 Boxster I made sure I had the code so when the car powered up again I had the code at hand to enter into the radio. I do not even remember how I did this. IIRC though I think in my case the code's written down somewhere. IIRC, there is also a way to query the radio for the code, I do not recall the technique. It probably is in the owners manual though.

    Sincerely,

    Rockster.

  11. #11
    Crispy's Avatar
    Crispy is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake George, NY
    Posts
    253
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Thanks Rockster, that's exactly what's happening. Got a quote of $125.22 for a door latch mechanism. I saw a fix on an older Boxster where the cracked solder joint was reheated. Any chance you can still do this or has the design changed?
    Simon, Whew, I can't help you?? Thanks, C.

  12. #12
    Deutsch's Avatar
    Deutsch is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Goldsboro, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    51
    Images
    6
    Downloads
    21
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Door latch switch. Exact same thing happened to me two days after driving it off the lot. It was warranted, so I let Porsche diagnose and repair the switch. No issues since.

  13. #13
    Rockster is offline Porsche Idealist 500 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    799
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Thanks Rockster, that's exactly what's happening. Got a quote of $125.22 for a door latch mechanism. I saw a fix on an older Boxster where the cracked solder joint was reheated. Any chance you can still do this or has the design changed?
    Simon, Whew, I can't help you?? Thanks, C.
    I don't know. I talked to a tech about the symptom and he demo'd the right behavior using another car and a pen to fool the door latch into thinking it was closed when it was open and explained to me what was going on with my car.

    When I had the car and the time I just dropped the car off and asked the problem be fixed. Picked it up a day or so later with a new latch installed. I have the old latch but I do not recall looking at it that much.

    Sincerely,

    Rockster.

  14. #14
    Jypson's Avatar
    Jypson is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Yokosuka
    Posts
    99
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Antz N Pantz

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Quote Originally Posted by josephsdesimone View Post

    My CS was just out of warranty when this problem developed. The total repair was $388.55 (part # 3D1-837-015-C DOOR LOCK $156.65, labor and tax $223.90).
    This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for posting!

  15. #15
    elkin is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Quote Originally Posted by VIEZUAUSTRALIA View Post
    Hi guys

    I've come across a similar problem with my DE1 recently - if anyone can help with this I'd much appreciate it !

    It's been living outside for a few weeks and it's been raining a fair bit.

    The passenger side window decided to start dropping and then shutting as I'd start the car (dropping and then shutting as if you've half pulled the door handle to open the car - but don't open the door).

    It did this for 3 days - then on the 4th it did the same thing, but opened that little bit and then shut again, but this time did this twice.

    Day 5, it did the same as day 4. However I went out to see a load of clients - all fine - then when I get home in the evening I pull into the garage and as I turned the ignition OFF it decided to repeatedly open and close itself just that little bit - half an inch or so and shut -repeatedly.

    I couldn't over ride it with the door switch(es).

    I then managed to keep pressing down a few times and the window went all the way down.

    Then refused to come back up !

    Day 6 - start car - nothing happens - put window up - all fine so far.

    Try resetting the windows - all the way up for 15 seconds - all the way down for 15 seconds - all the way up again for 15 seconds - all fine again.

    Then - turn ignition off with window up - and it repeats again - up-down-up-down-up-down repeatedly and continues repeatedly(!)

    So I manage to get it down again and it stays there again.

    I've checked the window tracks for blockages. I've reset the windows. I found a website referring to Boxster problem with erratic windows saying it might be water damage shorting everything out - and to get it fixed quicksharp before it shorts everything else and it ends up in the shop for a week and a $5k bill.

    Any thoughts ?! I'm not touching it until I have a few more ideas...!

    thanks v much for any input

    Simon

    I've had the same problem described here. Does Simon or anyone else have the solution? Is it the microswitch in the door lock assembly that is at fault?

    Thanks for your help!

    Ron

  16. #16
    VIEZUAUSTRALIA is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    9
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Hi Ron

    The Porsche Centre came to the conclusion eventually thatit needed a new micro switch - and the door interior panels off to double check prior to ordering the part...

    Mine progressed to not even wanting to close fully a week or two after I came on here last.

    That was in Wet Season here in the tropics - however, since dry season started I was curious as to whether it'd dry out so after a few hot dry days and a few more of leaving the car with windows open, and then closed - it dried out and now works as if it were never playing up after about a week of that.......

    Maybe a dehumidifier would work well too in a garage with the windows left open.

    Not sure that's entirely helpful (?!)

    Cheers
    Simon

  17. #17
    elkin is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem with door open/closing

    Thanks for the prompt reply Simon! I hope dry weather is the answer for you but weather is not likely much of a critical factor here. Whatever the influence of weather, that switch has to be a poor design, execution, or both.

    Also earlier in this thread is a cheap proposed solution to extract the plunger from a certain $6.00 switch and transplant into the existing Porsche switch. Not sure I have the time or talent for that. I think I'll try the new microswitch approach.

    Regards and thanks again, Ron

  18. #18
    elkin is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Power Window problem

    My 2007 Cayman S passenger window for the past month -

    It's as if the window can't decide if the door is openor shut, so it goes up and down for that last 1/2 inch travel to seat and unseat in rubber door seal anywhere from 1-15 cycles, usually 3-5. This seems to happen unpredictably, and with the least electrical provocation, including opening or shutting driver door, using remote to lock or unlock, putting key in ignition, or starting car. Seems worse when car is cold.

    Tried resetting memory, then took a flyer and replaced door lock containing the notorious microswitch. Seemed to work perfectly for 3-4 days, but now back to square one.

    Any ideas out there? Thanks for reading.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •