Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Broken shifter cable

  1. #1
    CaymanS_ssa is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Broken shifter cable

    I'm now a "broken shifter cable" victim like so many others that have posted on planet-9. I've broken this post up into five sections: car, the event, the repair, my thoughts, additional resources.

    car

    2006 Cayman S with 34,150 miles on it. I don't race it (on or off the track). 90% of my commute is highway driving at 70 mph, with the occasional acceleration (no downshifting) to 80-90 mph. I bought the car as Certified Pre-owned with 5,000 miles on it. I put ~29,000 miles on the car over an ~8 month period of time

    the event

    I was driving into work. About 1000 yards from my house, I was casually (read: not aggressive, not racing, etc) shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, when the shifter suddenly went limp. I could put the shifter into the slots for 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th gear, but the gears weren't actually shifting. The car was stuck in 2nd! Luckily the car was stuck in a low gear, and I was able to get the car back home.

    The symptoms: car is stuck in a gear; gear shift is limp - moves freely, not able to engage

    The repair

    I had the car towed to the Porsche dealership. They informed me that the gear shift cable had snapped. I've attached 3 photos showing the broken part. Some initial comments: No, i'm not on someone's hit list, and nobody intentionally cut the cable ; I've found other posts with similar photos (links below).

    I had to pay ~$1000 to get the shifter cable replaced. It took about a day to get the car back.

    My thoughts

    This is absolutely ridiculous. A Porsche...a Porsche is supposedly one of the most durable cars in the market. Prestigious brand, insanely expensive, built for high performance.

    I wasn't (nor have I) even stressed the car in any real way, yet somehow the gear shifter cable snapped. There are numerous situations where the outcome could be serious personal injury or death (eg. pulling into traffic, accelerating to pass a car, etc).

    This seemed very fishy to me, so I did some research on the car. It turns out that the previous owner had some warranty work, where the transmission had to be reinstalled. I bought the car Certified Pre-owned, with a clean carfax. This repair order didn't show up on the report, and since it was certified, I assumed Porsche of Flemington (where I purchased the car) did their job.

    I spoke to several Porsche service repair shops, during my investigation:

    - Danbury Porsche, where the shifter cable was repaired, initially thought the cable didn't "look right". After completing the repair, Danbury Porsche couldn't confirm or deny that the cable was installed incorrectly. Danbury Porsche assured me that the Cayman was a very reliable car, and they rarely saw Cayman's come in for major repairs.

    - Autohaus of Lancaster (I spoke to "Justin"), where the initial transmission work was done, told me that "I see the shifter cable fail quite often on Cayman's and 911's."

    - Porsche of Flemington, where I purchased the car, told me it wasn't "their problem, go talk to Autohaus".

    - I called 1-800-PORSCHE, explained the story I've laid out here, and they said, "The car's out of warranty, there's nothing we can do about it". I then asked, "is this a known / systemic issue? Can you tell me what the failure rate is on the part?". Their response, "Porsche doesn't divulge such statistics". I replied,"they will with a subpoena".

    I'm absolutely livid. It's not about the repair money, but rather the principle of the situation. If the part wasn't installed correctly by Autohaus, I would actually be less angry as long as they manned up and fixed it, because mistakes happen. Per the message boards however, this looks to be a more pervasive issue. Perhaps not enough to meet Porsche's recall criteria, but I would argue that their recall criteria is flawed! If this happens to even 1% of their cars, make the simple (relatively cheap) fix, and protect the lives of their customers.

    I'm especially livid with customer support. This part failing at 34,150 miles is ridiculous, regardless of whether it was mis-installed, or there's a fundamental issue with the part. These are expensive cars, designed for high-performance, and critical components like the shifter cable should be rock solid. The moment the customer service agent saw I was out of warranty (and in my case, < 6 weeks out of warranty!!), she could care less about the situation. I expected more from Porsche, in addition to expecting a first-class machine, I expected premium support.

    My faith in the brand is shaken. I was looking to buy a Cayenne for my wife, in fact we were planning to make a purchase in the next couple of weeks. Porsche's inability to man up, take responsibility, and do the right thing means they've lost me as a customer. Porsche's loss of my business means nothing to their bottom line, and they'll certainly go on to make tons of profit.

    My intent for sharing this with the community:

    1. make people aware of the problem
    2. further validate that this is a systemic issue
    3. highlight Porshe's crappy customer service
    4. ensure that current and potential Porsche customers are well-informed about what they are getting themselves into.

    Additional resources

    related discussions:
    http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...ter-cable.html

    http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...ter-cable.html

    http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...t-my-life.html

    Photos from other posts

    http://www.jovy-rework.com/images/jo...link_cable.jpg

    http://www.planet-9.com/attachments/...-cableenda.jpg

    http://www.planet-9.com/attachments/...link_cable.jpg

    Selected quotes from other similar posts on this problem

    Yeah maybe on a cheaper car, but on a Porsche?? these cars are bloody expensive, we pay for the durability.. this is simply unacceptable, I hope Porsche lose a lot of customers, they can't even make a car as reliable as a Nissan these days and charge twice the price

    -----

    The Cayman S is a nice car, but if it is prone to break its shifter cable in 8500 miles then there is something seriously wrong with modern design.

    -----

    It’s a disgrace that Porsche, a so-called premium brand, can skimp on something as critical as a gear shifter and it’s assembly. Also, to those who say that taking legal action is not the way to go – again why? The OP has obviously been deeply traumatised by his experience and has every right to voice his concerns!

    -----

    Thank you for the advice. But with due respect, the law firm that is taking on my case, with specialists on such issues, sees it differently to you.

    They think that this is a serious case of a car being unsafe and that the manufacturer can be held liable. I will file a claim and have provided all the relevant evidence which they will prepare the case.

    I am not asking for the forum members to make a judgement, but simply letting them know that they may be sitting on a time bomb if their linkage is similar to mine.

    As a performance car, most people who buy these cars will likely use its performance, and I can think of a thousand scenarious where the loss of drive could potentially end up in tears. If Toyota can call back all their cars due to erratic gas pedal response, I fail to see why Porsche can get away with a problem far worse than Toyota's.

    I have lost all my confidence in this car and every time I change up or down, I am wondering if the damn thing will break again. If it can break at 8600 miles, it can break at any time.
    It is not as if it will give advance warning before it breaks. Having no drive on a fast bend is massively dangerous. Loosing engine braking is not desirable at any time.

    Why should I drive a car that is potentially a death trap? I paid good money for this car and I expect to get value for money and irrespective of how much fun it may be to drive, it is basically an unsafe car.
    Does anyone have data to show how many accidents may have been caused by this failure that the driver did not survive to tell the story? My story would be untold if I had collided with the oncoming car at a combined speed of over 150mph. What is the justification for Porsche to insist on using this unreliable linkage? Profit is the only thing that comes to my mind.


    ------

    I dare Porsche UK and Porsche USA both to disclose the number of cars they have had to replace the shifter cable. The 14 cases are only on this forum. There are many forums. Not everyone who may own a Porsche and experienced this problem are members of any forum.

    The question is which other makes suffer shifter problems? None in my whole life experience of cars. I've had a 911SC in the past. Apart from a broken hafl-shaft no other problems to speak of. Why should it be acceptable in 2012 for Porsche to offer ashifter cable that is "NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE".

    Is is simply not good enough and at the very least the car should come with a "HEALTH WARNING". If I had known that the Cayman S was prone to breaking the shifter cable for no apparent reason, I would not have bought it in the first place.

    I feel cheated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken shifter cable-img_2236.jpg   Broken shifter cable-img_2237.jpg   Broken shifter cable-img_2238.jpg  


  2. #2
    K-Man S's Avatar
    K-Man S is offline Admin & Founder

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    30,469
    Images
    4456
    Downloads
    253
    Uploads
    118
    Blog Entries
    14
    My Classifieds
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: KenDude

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Quote Originally Posted by CaymanS_ssa View Post
    I'm now a "broken shifter cable" victim like so many others that have posted on planet-9. I've broken this post up into five sections: car, the event, the repair, my thoughts, additional resources.

    car

    2006 Cayman S with 34,150 miles on it. I don't race it (on or off the track). 90% of my commute is highway driving at 70 mph, with the occasional acceleration (no downshifting) to 80-90 mph. I bought the car as Certified Pre-owned with 5,000 miles on it. I put ~29,000 miles on the car over an ~8 month period of time

    the event

    I was driving into work. About 1000 yards from my house, I was casually (read: not aggressive, not racing, etc) shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, when the shifter suddenly went limp. I could put the shifter into the slots for 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th gear, but the gears weren't actually shifting. The car was stuck in 2nd! Luckily the car was stuck in a low gear, and I was able to get the car back home.

    The symptoms: car is stuck in a gear; gear shift is limp - moves freely, not able to engage

    The repair

    I had the car towed to the Porsche dealership. They informed me that the gear shift cable had snapped. I've attached 3 photos showing the broken part. Some initial comments: No, i'm not on someone's hit list, and nobody intentionally cut the cable ; I've found other posts with similar photos (links below).

    I had to pay ~$1000 to get the shifter cable replaced. It took about a day to get the car back.

    My thoughts

    This is absolutely ridiculous. A Porsche...a Porsche is supposedly one of the most durable cars in the market. Prestigious brand, insanely expensive, built for high performance.

    I wasn't (nor have I) even stressed the car in any real way, yet somehow the gear shifter cable snapped. There are numerous situations where the outcome could be serious personal injury or death (eg. pulling into traffic, accelerating to pass a car, etc).

    This seemed very fishy to me, so I did some research on the car. It turns out that the previous owner had some warranty work, where the transmission had to be reinstalled. I bought the car Certified Pre-owned, with a clean carfax. This repair order didn't show up on the report, and since it was certified, I assumed Porsche of Flemington (where I purchased the car) did their job.

    I spoke to several Porsche service repair shops, during my investigation:

    - Danbury Porsche, where the shifter cable was repaired, initially thought the cable didn't "look right". After completing the repair, Danbury Porsche couldn't confirm or deny that the cable was installed incorrectly. Danbury Porsche assured me that the Cayman was a very reliable car, and they rarely saw Cayman's come in for major repairs.

    - Autohaus of Lancaster (I spoke to "Justin"), where the initial transmission work was done, told me that "I see the shifter cable fail quite often on Cayman's and 911's."

    - Porsche of Flemington, where I purchased the car, told me it wasn't "their problem, go talk to Autohaus".

    - I called 1-800-PORSCHE, explained the story I've laid out here, and they said, "The car's out of warranty, there's nothing we can do about it". I then asked, "is this a known / systemic issue? Can you tell me what the failure rate is on the part?". Their response, "Porsche doesn't divulge such statistics". I replied,"they will with a subpoena".

    I'm absolutely livid. It's not about the repair money, but rather the principle of the situation. If the part wasn't installed correctly by Autohaus, I would actually be less angry as long as they manned up and fixed it, because mistakes happen. Per the message boards however, this looks to be a more pervasive issue. Perhaps not enough to meet Porsche's recall criteria, but I would argue that their recall criteria is flawed! If this happens to even 1% of their cars, make the simple (relatively cheap) fix, and protect the lives of their customers.

    I'm especially livid with customer support. This part failing at 34,150 miles is ridiculous, regardless of whether it was mis-installed, or there's a fundamental issue with the part. These are expensive cars, designed for high-performance, and critical components like the shifter cable should be rock solid. The moment the customer service agent saw I was out of warranty (and in my case, < 6 weeks out of warranty!!), she could care less about the situation. I expected more from Porsche, in addition to expecting a first-class machine, I expected premium support.

    My faith in the brand is shaken. I was looking to buy a Cayenne for my wife, in fact we were planning to make a purchase in the next couple of weeks. Porsche's inability to man up, take responsibility, and do the right thing means they've lost me as a customer. Porsche's loss of my business means nothing to their bottom line, and they'll certainly go on to make tons of profit.

    My intent for sharing this with the community:

    1. make people aware of the problem
    2. further validate that this is a systemic issue
    3. highlight Porshe's crappy customer service
    4. ensure that current and potential Porsche customers are well-informed about what they are getting themselves into.

    Additional resources

    related discussions:
    http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...ter-cable.html

    http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...ter-cable.html

    http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...t-my-life.html

    Photos from other posts

    http://www.jovy-rework.com/images/jo...link_cable.jpg

    http://www.planet-9.com/attachments/...-cableenda.jpg

    http://www.planet-9.com/attachments/...link_cable.jpg

    Selected quotes from other similar posts on this problem

    Yeah maybe on a cheaper car, but on a Porsche?? these cars are bloody expensive, we pay for the durability.. this is simply unacceptable, I hope Porsche lose a lot of customers, they can't even make a car as reliable as a Nissan these days and charge twice the price

    -----

    The Cayman S is a nice car, but if it is prone to break its shifter cable in 8500 miles then there is something seriously wrong with modern design.

    -----

    It’s a disgrace that Porsche, a so-called premium brand, can skimp on something as critical as a gear shifter and it’s assembly. Also, to those who say that taking legal action is not the way to go – again why? The OP has obviously been deeply traumatised by his experience and has every right to voice his concerns!

    -----

    Thank you for the advice. But with due respect, the law firm that is taking on my case, with specialists on such issues, sees it differently to you.

    They think that this is a serious case of a car being unsafe and that the manufacturer can be held liable. I will file a claim and have provided all the relevant evidence which they will prepare the case.

    I am not asking for the forum members to make a judgement, but simply letting them know that they may be sitting on a time bomb if their linkage is similar to mine.

    As a performance car, most people who buy these cars will likely use its performance, and I can think of a thousand scenarious where the loss of drive could potentially end up in tears. If Toyota can call back all their cars due to erratic gas pedal response, I fail to see why Porsche can get away with a problem far worse than Toyota's.

    I have lost all my confidence in this car and every time I change up or down, I am wondering if the damn thing will break again. If it can break at 8600 miles, it can break at any time.
    It is not as if it will give advance warning before it breaks. Having no drive on a fast bend is massively dangerous. Loosing engine braking is not desirable at any time.

    Why should I drive a car that is potentially a death trap? I paid good money for this car and I expect to get value for money and irrespective of how much fun it may be to drive, it is basically an unsafe car.
    Does anyone have data to show how many accidents may have been caused by this failure that the driver did not survive to tell the story? My story would be untold if I had collided with the oncoming car at a combined speed of over 150mph. What is the justification for Porsche to insist on using this unreliable linkage? Profit is the only thing that comes to my mind.


    ------

    I dare Porsche UK and Porsche USA both to disclose the number of cars they have had to replace the shifter cable. The 14 cases are only on this forum. There are many forums. Not everyone who may own a Porsche and experienced this problem are members of any forum.

    The question is which other makes suffer shifter problems? None in my whole life experience of cars. I've had a 911SC in the past. Apart from a broken hafl-shaft no other problems to speak of. Why should it be acceptable in 2012 for Porsche to offer ashifter cable that is "NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE".

    Is is simply not good enough and at the very least the car should come with a "HEALTH WARNING". If I had known that the Cayman S was prone to breaking the shifter cable for no apparent reason, I would not have bought it in the first place.

    I feel cheated.
    Have you contacted the law offices of Robert Starr who is a sponsor here? They deal in automotive cases, they have an action vs. Porsche for Intermediate Shafticon failures, maybe they'd like to know about these shifter cable failures as well?

  3. #3
    CaymanS_ssa is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    I just reached out to their offices. Thanks!! I've also filed a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Authority (NHTSA). It should take a few days for the complaint to be searchable, but here are the details:

    NHTSA complaint #: 10483800

    NHTSA site: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/
    Last edited by CaymanS_ssa; 11-09-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: updated with NHTSA complaint number

  4. #4
    jeff alton's Avatar
    jeff alton is offline Silver Sponsor
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    413
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Cable failure is well known to Porsche, they always have losts of cables in stock...

    We replaced cables twice on our 987 S in 40,000 miles.... The cable sees far to much load because of its routing/attachment points.... All of the same end parts etc are on the 996/997 cables and they don't seem to break. They have a much smoother routing and see far less stress at the mounting points.

    Cheers
    Visit our new Full Service/Race Prep facility Turn3 Autosport.


    1.888.304.3953
    http://<div style="text-align: cente...port.com</div>


    JRZ Supsension-PAGID Pads (in stock)-Prospeed RS683 (in stock)
    HRE/Forgeline/Fikse wheel specialists.

  5. #5
    Cantrax's Avatar
    Cantrax is offline Porsche Specialist 500 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Calif.
    Posts
    662
    Downloads
    22
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    I find it disturbing that Porsche does not step up on this issue. Judging by what I am reading here, it seems to be a design issue with so many breaks reported.

  6. #6
    RSchwerer's Avatar
    RSchwerer is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,801
    Images
    61
    Downloads
    30
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    I was talking with my dealer's tech last January - specifically we were talking about reliability of 987s in general (my 2010 was in for a new engine ) and he brought up the issue of clutch cables breaking being one of the common problems they see. I don't remember all the details but his observation was the issue was localized stress on the cable due to the angle of the attachment point to the tranny - due to the necessity to route the cable around the engine block.
    That's not news - seems pretty obvious. But he also stated that it was less of a problem on GenIIs. So, is there any evidence or opinions on whether this is true? Or is there just fewer breaking because the GenIIs haven't been around long enough to have a track record?
    Last edited by RSchwerer; 11-12-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    Belleair Beach, Florida - 2010 Cayman

    "Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"

  7. #7
    M. Zinnen is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    87
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    My shifter cable in my Cayman S went out at 66K, I posted about the incident on the forum on 5/9/2012.

    Sounds like a very similar situation to your issue, 2nd to 3rd upshift on a car just off warranty, Porsche originally said "not our problem". For what it's worth, I did write a letter to the head of customer relations (IIRC) for Porsche North America, and about a month later they sent me a repair voucher equal in value to about half the cost of the total repair bill. As I posted then, it would have been easier for all concerned if they had just taken care of a portion of the repair at the time, but in the end I felt they handled the situation in an acceptable manner.

    Hope you're able to get things worked out.

  8. #8
    rubber_ducky's Avatar
    rubber_ducky is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    3,000 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston-ish, MA
    Posts
    3,579
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    I was under the impression that 996/997 cars have similar issues. I know that there are quite a few of those guys who replace the OE cable with a cup cable.

  9. #9
    4by4's Avatar
    4by4 is online now Crusin worlds most isolated city
    3,000 post club
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    down-under
    Posts
    3,569
    Images
    37
    Downloads
    39
    Uploads
    2
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    My gen 2 broke and guys with newer cars and way less miles than mine have broken.
    Maybe gen 3 will be ok? Certainly gen 1 and 2 is not good.

    In countries where salt on the road is used, the problem is far worse.
    2010 Cayman S, special build.

  10. #10
    123cayman456's Avatar
    123cayman456 is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    154
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Just a point of information. I do not believe this is a problem with the base cayman in that the shift cables do not make the bend that places undo pressure on the cable. On the base both cables are in a direct line on only one side of the tranny.

  11. #11
    Wanderer is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    232
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    I was looking into having custom cables made from aircraft control cable. I made contact with a company but have not followed up yet. I would imagine aircraft control cable would be the strongest..

  12. #12
    markstudy's Avatar
    markstudy is offline Porsche Orator 1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,581
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Quote Originally Posted by 123cayman456 View Post
    I do not believe this is a problem with the base cayman in that the shift cables do not make the bend that places undo pressure on the cable.
    Would the reasoning be that the smaller engine allows more room to run the cable in a straighter more direct path?

  13. #13
    CaymanS_ssa is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    To mitigate any unforeseen mechanical issues, I just signed up for a carchex extended warranty. It's depressing to read about shifter cable and IMSicon bearing issues, and aggravating to think that Porsche is unwilling to stand behind their brand and issue recalls to fix the problem. Hopefully I don't run into problems, but at least I've got some warranty coverage to fall back on.

    I signed up for the Titanium option with Carchex, with additional coverage for seals & gaskets, wear and tear, roadside assistance, and a $50 deductible. I'm covered for 5 years & 100K miles (on the odometer), and it cost me $3600.

    If Porsche is sincere about protecting their brand and image, they should reach out to owners and offer to pay for (or provide) extended warranty coverage for up to 100,000 miles. Hyundai did something similar back in 2004, when the market firmly believed their cars to be junk. They changed their warranty to cover up to 100,000 miles, essentially proclaiming to the market that they would stand behind their vehicles.

    If Porsche's interested in getting more business from me, I'm easy to reach, and I've got $1,000 + $3,600 = $4,600 bill waiting for you.

  14. #14
    kej827 is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    bovingdon
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Happened to me too - 2009 Gen2 Cayman S - 48K miles (I would say gentle miles) Repaired under warranty

  15. #15
    shootermcgavin is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    484
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I was looking into having custom cables made from aircraft control cable. I made contact with a company but have not followed up yet. I would imagine aircraft control cable would be the strongest..
    why wouldn't you just pick up numeric's offering?

  16. #16
    shootermcgavin is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    484
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Quote Originally Posted by CaymanS_ssa View Post
    To mitigate any unforeseen mechanical issues, I just signed up for a carchex extended warranty. It's depressing to read about shifter cable and IMSicon bearing issues, and aggravating to think that Porsche is unwilling to stand behind their brand and issue recalls to fix the problem. Hopefully I don't run into problems, but at least I've got some warranty coverage to fall back on.

    I signed up for the Titanium option with Carchex, with additional coverage for seals & gaskets, wear and tear, roadside assistance, and a $50 deductible. I'm covered for 5 years & 100K miles (on the odometer), and it cost me $3600.

    If Porsche is sincere about protecting their brand and image, they should reach out to owners and offer to pay for (or provide) extended warranty coverage for up to 100,000 miles. Hyundai did something similar back in 2004, when the market firmly believed their cars to be junk. They changed their warranty to cover up to 100,000 miles, essentially proclaiming to the market that they would stand behind their vehicles.

    If Porsche's interested in getting more business from me, I'm easy to reach, and I've got $1,000 + $3,600 = $4,600 bill waiting for you.
    Carchex sounds familiar...is that $3,600 for 2 yrs? any deductibles?

  17. #17
    darreldore's Avatar
    darreldore is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Here is my story about Porsche, CPO and a broken Shift Cable

    This past September Iembarked on my third trip across the United States since I retired in 2007 andmost importantly, my first cross-country in my 2009 Porsche Boxster. The last time I drove cross-country in aPorsche was forty-one years earlier in my then shiny, new Irish Green, 1971Porsche 911T.

    Needless to say, my head wasfilled with nostalgia and excitement!

    Since it had 30,484 miles onthe odometer, I decided to take my still shiny, but not new, Arctic Silver,2009 Porsche Boxster to Baker Porsche in Charleston, SC for an oil and filterchange and an overall checkup.

    The first leg of my tripstarted with a visit to my relatives in east Texas. Then I drove on to Colorado Springs for a drive up PikesPeak. Next was a visit with friends inBreckenridge, Colorado, where my wife, Joan, flew in and joined me. FromBreckenridge, Joan and I went on to visit National Parks at Bryce Canyon, GrandStaircase, Zion and Capitol Reef before meeting my travelin’, gamblin’ 91 yearold mother-in-law, Roz, our son, Ken, and nephew, Bryan, in Las Vegas for acouple of days diversion from sightseeing.

    From Las Vegas it was on tomore sightseeing and driving on the wonderful California roads from Joshua Treeto Palm Springs and over to the San Diego waterfront. I could not resist the winding, picturesque Angeles Crest Highwayhigh above Los Angeles or going up the curvy Highway 33 to quaint Ojai and outto beautiful Pacific Ocean at Cambria. No trip to California would be completewithout driving up the coast on Highway 1 with its breath taking vistas!

    Once we arrived in SanFrancisco, we took time to visit more relatives and sightsee in this town wenever get tired of visiting. Next weturned inland toward Sacramento, where Joan left me to fly back home. Thisroutine is our tried and true formula for a happy married life, since Joan isnot the road tripper that I am!

    Now it was time to drive USHighway 50 across Nevada. Named by AAA as “The Loneliest Road in America,” oneof my favorite roads and one that Nevada State Troopers don’t pay muchattention to. The last part of my tripwould be to Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly, which we did not have time tovisit on the outbound part of our trip.

    After I took Joan to theairport, I visited Niello Porsche since my Boxster now had traveled 36,095miles. This service included an oil and filter change and a multi-pointinspection at, then I was on my way east on US 50 across Nevada!

    But, shortly after I startedmaking my way east, I got a message that, because of a very serious familyemergency, my daughter, Elizabeth, needed me in Charlotte, NC by Monday,October 7th to help her. So,I mapped out trip plans that would get me there in time to help her.

    On Friday, October 4th,while driving through Canyon de Chelly National Park, which is in the Arizonaportion of the Navajo Reservation, I downshifted to climb a hill and my Boxstersuddenly made a pop sound and the shift lever flopped over to one side. TheBoxster was stuck in third gear! Unableto climb the hill, I coasted backwards to a stop to think about my next move.Then ,I looked at my watch, it was 4:25PM on Friday afternoon!

    So here I am, with 37,179miles on my Boxster, broken down, a time when most repair services are closingup for the weekend.

    OK, No problem, I will justcall 1-800-PORSCHE service, which is part of the deal I got with my CPO,Certified Pre-Owned Boxster, but after I dial nothing happens, nothing noringing, no automated messages, nothing. I looked at my phone, which was flashing “no service”!

    So, since there is nothingelse I can do, I sit in my car and try to figure out where the closest Porschedealer is. Hmm, is it Las Vegas orPhoenix or Albuquerque, looks like Albuquerque?

    I sat there for what seemedlike an eternity. Then a very nicelocal, gentleman driving with his wife and family stopped to see if I neededhelp. I explained that I needed a wrecker,but could not call help because my phone had no service. He tried his cell phone…”no service” Then hetried his wife’s phone…again “no service.” He told me “There is no way you canleave your car here, these people are crazy, no telling what they would do toyour car.” I told him that I wasprepared to sleep in the car if necessary.

    He took my information andsaid that he would drive to a place in the park where he could get cell phoneservice and call a local wrecker to come tow my car out of the park to thelocal town of Chinle where it would be safe, which he did. He also said that he would come back in anhour to check on me to be sure I was OK, which he also did. What a nice person!

    While I was waiting for helpto come three other local residents stopped to see if I needed help, but Iassured them that help was on the way. No matter what you hear, the world isfull of kind, helpful people!
    As seven o’clock approached, I was really starting to get concerned since itwas getting dark and there were fewer and fewer people passing by where I wasparked, but about that time the wrecker arrived. The wrecker used a wheel-liftmethod of tow (not the recommended flat bed method) and the operator said thathe had never towed a Porsche. Both of these things bothered me. So, I worked with the operator to be surethat he lifted the rear wheels, since the car was in gear with no way to get itout of gear and to make sure he did not elevate the rear wheels more than necessarydue to the small “approach angle” of the front of the Boxster, which wouldscrape if the rear was elevated too high and I also requested that he drivevery slowly to avoid any damage to the front of the car from bouncing. All of this succeeded in getting my Boxsterto a hotel parking lot safely with no physical damage.


    By 7:30 PM my car was parkedat the Holiday Inn Express in Chinle, Arizona. The tow driver even took me to Wells Fargo to get cash so Icould pay him and he made sure that I was safely checked into the Holiday InnExpress, another nice person!

    Once in my room, I called 1-800-PORSCHE. The very helpful service rep took allmy info and assured me that my car would be towed in to Porsche Albuquerque onSaturday and that I should expect the wrecker anytime after 7:00 AM.


    Saturday, October 5th

    At 7:18 AM, while atbreakfast, I received a call from Porsche Roadside Service. The Service Repapologized for the fact that they could not find a properly equipped tow truckany closer than Albuquerque, New Mexico, which was at least four hours east ofwhere I was. She said that the towtruck should get there about noon and that the truck operator would call as hegot closer, which the tow truck operator did.

    At 8:55 AM I received a callfrom the tow truck driver. He said he would be here in about three and 1/2hours and that he would call again when he reached the Arizona state line.Which he did.

    Tony, the tow truck driver,arrived in Chinle, Arizona about 1:00 PM and loaded the car and me in thewrecker and hauled us to Porsche Albuquerque where we arrived 7:00 PM, about ahalf hour after they closed. We had to park the car at the night drop off andleave it there unsecured until the dealer opened on Monday, October 7th,which I was not very happy about. NextTony took me to the Residence Inn in Albuquerque, where my wife had reserved aroom for me.

    The following morning I flewto Charlotte, NC to help my daughter with her kids, my grandkids, Riley andJack, who I thoroughly enjoy!

    On Monday, October 7thPorsche Albuquerque took my car in the shop and determined that it needed shiftcables, which they ordered. The shiftcables were shipped over night to the dealer from the warehouse and werereceived on Tuesday October 8th. Over the next day and a half amechanic repaired my car. On Wednesday October 9th at 6:16 PM thedealer called me to tell me that my car repair had been completed and that theywould get my car cleaned up ready for me to pickup on Thursday, October 10th.

    On Wednesday evening myson-in-law returned from a trip out of the country, so he could take over thekids while I made my plans to return to Albuquerque to get my Boxster andrestart my journey home.

    On Thursday, October 10thI flew to Albuquerque and picked up my car from Albuquerque Porsche in arepaired and good as new condition. From Thursday to the following Monday, Idrove my Boxster from Albuquerque to Pawleys Island, SC without any furtherproblems.

    I don’t know how easy it isfor the service personnel to see the shifter cables, but neither Baker Porschenor Niello Porsche told me that shifter cables were worn.

    Once I got home, I submittedmy travel expenses to Porsche Roadside. I was very pleased that Porsche North America covered all of myexpenses including my airfare! Needless to say I highly recommend buyingPorsche CPO cars (Certified Pre Owned cars) since Porsche stands behind themand when extenuating circumstances dictate they will exceed the stated $750coverage limits for Trip Interruption.

    So to sum it up, Under thecoverage provided under my CPO warranty not only did Porsche tow my Boxsterhalf way across New Mexico and then repair my it with no charge to me, butPorsche also covered all of my expenses that I had to incur to attend to myfamily emergency that occurred while my car was disabled.

    I certainly do not believethat a major component like shift linkage should fail at 37,000 miles on anycar especially a Porsche, but I can tell you that when the shift linkage didfail, Porsche stepped up and paid every reasonable travel expense that I had toincur because of the failure.
    Darrel J. Doré
    Pawleys Island, SC

  18. #18
    shootermcgavin is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    484
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    My Classifieds

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Wow, that's quite the tale and certainly well beyond my experience w/my broken cable and CPO. It is reassuring however to hear since I've still got well over a year and a half with that coverage.

  19. #19
    skrace's Avatar
    skrace is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    393
    Images
    14
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Which end breaks, the shifter or the transmission ?

  20. #20
    Giff's Avatar
    Giff is online now Site Upgrade Donor
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    89
    Downloads
    10
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Broken shifter cable

    Transmission

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •