Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Mike_in OH's Avatar
    Mike_in OH is offline Porsche Purist 1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,009
    Downloads
    22
    Uploads
    0

    IMS failures--is the Cayman/Boxster 987 exempt?

    There's been quite a bit of chatter recently on Pete's Boxster board regarding failures of the Intermediate Shafticon assembly (bearing/bolt failure) which usually takes the engine out when it fails. More often than not, the 2000-2004 models cars are mentioned, both the 2.7l and 3.2l models are affected.

    Does anyone one know if the this assembly was redesigned when the 987 model was released?


  2. #2
    K-Man S's Avatar
    K-Man S is online now Admin & Founder

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    30,291
    Images
    4249
    Downloads
    253
    Uploads
    118
    Blog Entries
    14
    My Classifieds
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: KenDude
    There is a larger bolt used in the Intermediate Shafticon that Porsche believes prevents or helps to prevent an IMS failure. When my engine was apart I inquired and was told mine already had the beefier bolt. Since mine was 2006 I assumed all after were fine, but actually was told that some later cars still have the problem because they phased in the beefier bolt over time.

  3. #3
    PCA-TECH's Avatar
    PCA-TECH is offline PCA Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    349
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    All engines and Reman's since late 2005 or MY 2006 have been getting the newer style 3.8 IS bearing and cover. This is the larger nut that you would find. This though is all being replaced or should I say eliminated in the new 987 DFI Boxster and Cayman variant in Jan 2009 that the states will see in a March release. No more Intermediate Shafticon and a design that I would have liked 10 years ago.



    Best,
    Scott Slauson

  4. #4
    Mike_in OH's Avatar
    Mike_in OH is offline Porsche Purist 1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,009
    Downloads
    22
    Uploads
    0

    Thanks for the replies

    Scott--good to see you on the board. My '06' 987 is a October 2005 build. Is it fair to say that it should have the beefier bolt?

    K -Man: the comment your dealer made about the phasing in of the fix seems mind boggling; if Porsche knew they had a problem with this part, why wouldn't they just replace the component altogether? I'm sure they don't like junking parts but if the design isn't what it needs to be, they risk a $10K warranty charge if it happens in the first 4 years.

  5. #5
    K-Man S's Avatar
    K-Man S is online now Admin & Founder

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    30,291
    Images
    4249
    Downloads
    253
    Uploads
    118
    Blog Entries
    14
    My Classifieds
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: KenDude
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_in OH View Post
    Scott--good to see you on the board. My '06' 987 is a October 2005 build. Is it fair to say that it should have the beefier bolt?

    K -Man: the comment your dealer made about the phasing in of the fix seems mind boggling; if Porsche knew they had a problem with this part, why wouldn't they just replace the component altogether? I'm sure they don't like junking parts but if the design isn't what it needs to be, they risk a $10K warranty charge if it happens in the first 4 years.
    I think they meant by phasing in just what PCA-TECH said that if a motor came in for remanufacturing that had the problem it went out with the new bigger nut/bolt combo to try and stop the problem. On the assembly line there were probably motors that slipped out that didn't have the fix yet if they had a surplus of motors left over from the year before, in other words Porsche didn't tear down their whole inventory of motors and implement the fix, they simply started fixing new motors and some point and the rest of the "old" motors (even though brand new) still continued to go into cars.

  6. #6
    zedd06's Avatar
    zedd06 is offline PCA Member
    500 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    726
    Images
    3
    Downloads
    9
    Uploads
    0

    IMS failures - early '06 model

    Quote Originally Posted by K-Man S View Post
    I think they meant by phasing in just what PCA-TECH said that if a motor came in for remanufacturing that had the problem it went out with the new bigger nut/bolt combo to try and stop the problem. On the assembly line there were probably motors that slipped out that didn't have the fix yet if they had a surplus of motors left over from the year before, in other words Porsche didn't tear down their whole inventory of motors and implement the fix, they simply started fixing new motors and some point and the rest of the "old" motors (even though brand new) still continued to go into cars.
    These comments concern me. I just read an article on truth about cars about M96 IMSicon failures. My 2006 was an earlier '06. I believe #621 from VIN. Any way to check by engine serial number? My warranty is done in 1.3 years. Your helpful suggestions appreciated.

    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wil...gine-failures/
    Last edited by zedd06; 11-07-2008 at 07:23 PM.

  7. #7
    Autofarm's Avatar
    Autofarm is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    81
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: IMS failures - early '06 model

    We have been rebuilding Porsche engines in the UK with IMS failures for some time now.

    Here's some info that may prove useful to you:

    Autofarm Intermediate Shaft Tech

    In our experience, since the upgraded M97 (997, 987, 987C) engine replaced the M96 (996, 986) there has been minimal issues with IMS failures.

    This may also be due to the fact that the majority of these cars are still within the dealer network under warranty, but we have heard no problems on the grapevine.

  8. #8
    Autofarm's Avatar
    Autofarm is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    81
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: IMS failures - early '06 model

    [QUOTE=zedd06;309467] My 2006 was an earlier '06. I believe #621 from VIN. Any way to check by engine serial number? My warranty is done in 1.3 years. Your helpful suggestions appreciated. QUOTE]

    All caymans have an engine no. starting M97 (M97/21 for an S and M97/20 for a 2.7). The majority of failures concern engines starting M96.

    The Cayman is a much more reliable motor.

  9. #9
    sandiegan is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: IMS failures - early '06 model

    2 years later, is it a fairly safe to buy a used 2005 987S? I'd hate to have to deal with an engine going kablooey down the line...

  10. #10
    extanker is offline On Probation 500 post club
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    trenton nj
    Posts
    582
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: IMS failures - early '06 model

    [QUOTE=Autofarm;314325]
    Quote Originally Posted by zedd06 View Post
    My 2006 was an earlier '06. I believe #621 from VIN. Any way to check by engine serial number? My warranty is done in 1.3 years. Your helpful suggestions appreciated. QUOTE]

    All caymans have an engine no. starting M97 (M97/21 for an S and M97/20 for a 2.7). The majority of failures concern engines starting M96.

    The Cayman is a much more reliable motor.
    iirc there is an after market bearing kit maker that stopped selling/sending based on VIN ...they want bearing in hand

  11. #11
    Point2Point's Avatar
    Point2Point is offline Porsche Prophet
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    77
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: IMS failures--is the Cayman/Boxster 987 exempt?

    Just to be clear, do all MY06-MY08 Caymans have the beefier IMSicon parts or do some of the early MY06 cars still use the older parts?

  12. #12
    zedd06's Avatar
    zedd06 is offline PCA Member
    500 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    726
    Images
    3
    Downloads
    9
    Uploads
    0

    Re: IMS failures--is the Cayman/Boxster 987 exempt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Point2Point View Post
    Just to be clear, do all MY06-MY08 Caymans have the beefier IMSicon parts or do some of the early MY06 cars still use the older parts?
    Be careful. I bought a very early build 2006 new in May '06. It was built in July 2005.

    I was told by my mechanic that I have a M96 motor with a small bolt.

    Oh well, I will change oil often per recommendation of mechanic and enjoy the car! If it blows then good excuse to invest in an engine swap.
    Last edited by zedd06; 01-25-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    My german athletes (gone but not forgotten) included ...
    '76 912E (blue)
    '00 Jetta (black)

    My hot rods included ....
    '71 Vette convertible (white w/ bent frame)
    '67 Galaxy 500 hot rod (powder blue)
    '67 Mustang hot rod (black)

    My most loved late daily driver ....
    '99 Subaru wagen (9/15/2003 - 5/27/2010 w/ 218K miles)

  13. #13
    Zip's Avatar
    Zip
    Zip is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    196
    Downloads
    10
    Uploads
    0

    Re: IMS failures--is the Cayman/Boxster 987 exempt?

    Coincidentally, I was at my dealership last week and their mechanic was in the process of rebuilding the engine of a 07 Boxster because of a IMSicon failure. He said it was his first of this series. He also stated that the sound was a bit different than the earlier models. Instead of a rattling sound as the notice of impending failure; the IMS in the 07 Boxster made a sound that at first they thought it was coming from the belts. I guess you can say more of a high pitch whirling noise.

    From what I have read it would pay to run your car more often. The garage queens are prone to failure. Move up a click to 5-40 oil (regardless of what Porsche states). Change out the oil every 6 months (regardless what Porsche states). Get your RPM's above 3500 more frequently (no problem here). Track cars have less of a problem.

    The location of the IMS puts it in an area that if there is water in the case, it gets it first. Hence, the more frequent oil changes. I would also get away from the Mobil 1 stuff but that is another story.

  14. #14
    zedd06's Avatar
    zedd06 is offline PCA Member
    500 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    726
    Images
    3
    Downloads
    9
    Uploads
    0

    Re: IMS failures--is the Cayman/Boxster 987 exempt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Coincidentally, I was at my dealership last week and their mechanic was in the process of rebuilding the engine of a 07 Boxster because of a IMSicon failure. He said it was his first of this series. He also stated that the sound was a bit different than the earlier models. Instead of a rattling sound as the notice of impending failure; the IMS in the 07 Boxster made a sound that at first they thought it was coming from the belts. I guess you can say more of a high pitch whirling noise.

    From what I have read it would pay to run your car more often. The garage queens are prone to failure. Move up a click to 5-40 oil (regardless of what Porsche states). Change out the oil every 6 months (regardless what Porsche states). Get your RPM's above 3500 more frequently (no problem here). Track cars have less of a problem.

    The location of the IMS puts it in an area that if there is water in the case, it gets it first. Hence, the more frequent oil changes. I would also get away from the Mobil 1 stuff but that is another story.
    interesting advice. my mechanic recommended oil chnages every 6 months. unfortunately my car is a garage queen at 15500 after ~5 years.
    My german athletes (gone but not forgotten) included ...
    '76 912E (blue)
    '00 Jetta (black)

    My hot rods included ....
    '71 Vette convertible (white w/ bent frame)
    '67 Galaxy 500 hot rod (powder blue)
    '67 Mustang hot rod (black)

    My most loved late daily driver ....
    '99 Subaru wagen (9/15/2003 - 5/27/2010 w/ 218K miles)

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 10-16-2013, 08:11 PM
  2. 07-20-2013, 06:11 AM
  3. 04-27-2013, 11:57 AM
  4. 02-08-2013, 12:03 PM
  5. 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM
  6. 07-06-2012, 10:37 PM
  7. 07-06-2012, 05:14 AM
  8. 06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
  9. 05-29-2012, 11:31 AM
  10. 05-28-2012, 01:10 PM
  11. 05-28-2012, 01:01 PM
  12. 05-15-2012, 07:20 PM
  13. 05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
  14. 05-09-2012, 07:38 PM
  15. 09-21-2011, 01:14 PM
  16. 09-25-2010, 05:17 AM
  17. 09-09-2010, 10:59 PM
  18. 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM
  19. 08-04-2009, 02:09 AM
  20. 07-31-2009, 08:51 AM
  21. 07-25-2009, 04:00 PM
  22. 07-25-2009, 01:35 PM
  23. 07-25-2009, 10:01 AM
  24. 03-22-2009, 10:28 PM
  25. 03-16-2009, 11:46 PM
  26. 02-24-2009, 07:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •