Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

  1. #21
    ElusiveDH's Avatar
    ElusiveDH is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    132
    Images
    9
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by gtscayman View Post
    Thx for the suggestion. If a guy wants to get as close as possible do you know if there are any side roads that one can take? Looking at the launch sites it looks like the Atlas V takes off from near the top of the Banana River area?
    Jetty park offers a unique view. Located right at the beach, you see the arc transversely as it goes towards orbit. If you are directly west, it appears flat since the flight path arcs away from you. The other bonus is the sound travels better on the beach view since them ocean helps by reflecting it rather than attenuating it.

    If you want to watch north of Titusville, try the causeway heading towards Playalinda Beach. Never saw a launch there but it offers similar views.
    Last edited by ElusiveDH; 01-04-2014 at 11:00 PM.

    2014 981 Cayman S in DBM with Agate/Amber full leather, PDK, 20" Carrera S, Sport Design Steering Wheel, Convenience Pkg., Smoker's Pkg., Burmester, Seat Ventilation, Model Delete, Auto Dim Mirror and Rain Sensor


  2. #22
    gtscayman's Avatar
    gtscayman is offline Boxster Buddy
    4,000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,100
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveDH View Post
    Jetty park offers a unique view. Located right at the beach, you see the arc transversely as it goes towards orbit. If you are directly west, it appears flat since the flight path arcs away from you. The other bonus is the sound travels better on the beach view since them ocean helps by reflecting it rather than attenuating it.

    If you want to watch north of Titusville, try the causeway heading towards Playalinda Beach. Never saw a launch there but it offers similar views.
    Good heads up on the perspective - the arc would be neat! This one won't have a smoke trail because it isn't running boosters but it should be neat anyway. Somebody should force them to run smoke trails with sparks like some of the amateur rockets! lol
    GT Silver CS
    1980 Honda CBX
    2013 Aqua Boxster S - incoming
    2009 Infiniti FX50
    2012 Arctic Cat ProClimb 800

  3. #23
    gtscayman's Avatar
    gtscayman is offline Boxster Buddy
    4,000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,100
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    This is a sports car forum and a thread on the 24 hours of Daytona is dead and 3 people from North America are going???!!!! What's up with this group. Porsche factory drivers and cars (sort of) are going to be there, this is the first ALMS/GA get together, the new C7R Vette will debut, the Mazda diesel prototype will debut, etc

    I am arriving in Orlando the Saturday before the 24 hours and plan to go to the track early in the week just to get a lay of the land, not having been there before. I'll be buying two day passes for the grandstands and the infield, no camping, and plan to show up Saturday morning for the race. Might get a pit pass too. We'll see how the weather and I stand up but may or may not stay the night at the track. Probably bring a space blanket and a plastic sheet for rain and cold.

    So is there a fair going on 24 hours in the infield? Any tips for a first timer as to where to view from in the stands or the infield? Places to eat? Etc? Is there anybody in this forum listening??!!
    GT Silver CS
    1980 Honda CBX
    2013 Aqua Boxster S - incoming
    2009 Infiniti FX50
    2012 Arctic Cat ProClimb 800

  4. #24
    ralarcon's Avatar
    ralarcon is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,205
    Downloads
    41
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by gtscayman View Post
    This is a sports car forum and a thread on the 24 hours of Daytona is dead and 3 people from North America are going???!!!! What's up with this group. Porsche factory drivers and cars (sort of) are going to be there, this is the first ALMS/GA get together, the new C7R Vette will debut, the Mazda diesel prototype will debut, etc

    I am arriving in Orlando the Saturday before the 24 hours and plan to go to the track early in the week just to get a lay of the land, not having been there before. I'll be buying two day passes for the grandstands and the infield, no camping, and plan to show up Saturday morning for the race. Might get a pit pass too. We'll see how the weather and I stand up but may or may not stay the night at the track. Probably bring a space blanket and a plastic sheet for rain and cold.

    So is there a fair going on 24 hours in the infield? Any tips for a first timer as to where to view from in the stands or the infield? Places to eat? Etc? Is there anybody in this forum listening??!!
    Wow you are brave, there is plenty of places to eat right across the street from the racetrack. How busy they will be its anybody's guess. I'll record the event on my D* TV box and watch it later. Have fun.

    PS. I'm in Valrico FLA.

    Cheers

  5. #25
    wahtab's Avatar
    wahtab is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    48
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    I have the 2-day ticket for the race via Brumos Porsche. But can't find any more news on the Cayman entries though, and I've been digging everywhere! So, any scoop from the forum would be greatly appreciated.
    2011 Cayman 6MT.

  6. #26
    gtscayman's Avatar
    gtscayman is offline Boxster Buddy
    4,000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,100
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by ralarcon View Post
    Wow you are brave, there is plenty of places to eat right across the street from the racetrack. How busy they will be its anybody's guess. I'll record the event on my D* TV box and watch it later. Have fun.

    PS. I'm in Valrico FLA.

    Cheers
    Brave? It's supposed to be -20C where I live and +20C in Daytona. Heck, I could sleep outside in my shorts!

    Been to Mosport, Indianapolis, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, LVS, PIR, Montreal, SIR and now aiming for Daytona. Went to the first year of ALMS in 1999 and now will be at the first TUSC race. By brave you don't mean that I'm moving to the wrong side of town or something?

    I love the atmosphere of sportscar racing, and I'm saying that after attending F1, MotoGP, Indycar, Champcar, NHRA, WoO, NASCAR, etc.
    GT Silver CS
    1980 Honda CBX
    2013 Aqua Boxster S - incoming
    2009 Infiniti FX50
    2012 Arctic Cat ProClimb 800

  7. #27
    gtscayman's Avatar
    gtscayman is offline Boxster Buddy
    4,000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,100
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by wahtab View Post
    I have the 2-day ticket for the race via Brumos Porsche. But can't find any more news on the Cayman entries though, and I've been digging everywhere! So, any scoop from the forum would be greatly appreciated.
    Maybe try Sportscar365??
    GT Silver CS
    1980 Honda CBX
    2013 Aqua Boxster S - incoming
    2009 Infiniti FX50
    2012 Arctic Cat ProClimb 800

  8. #28
    ralarcon's Avatar
    ralarcon is offline Site Upgrade Donor
    1,000 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,205
    Downloads
    41
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by gtscayman View Post
    Brave? It's supposed to be -20C where I live and +20C in Daytona. Heck, I could sleep outside in my shorts!

    Been to Mosport, Indianapolis, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, LVS, PIR, Montreal, SIR and now aiming for Daytona. Went to the first year of ALMS in 1999 and now will be at the first TUSC race. By brave you don't mean that I'm moving to the wrong side of town or something?

    I love the atmosphere of sportscar racing, and I'm saying that after attending F1, MotoGP, Indycar, Champcar, NHRA, WoO, NASCAR, etc.
    The Holiday Inn is roughing it for me

    Cheers

  9. #29
    gtscayman's Avatar
    gtscayman is offline Boxster Buddy
    4,000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,100
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    The 24 hours is less than a week away and it looks like there may be some interest on this forum. REALLLY strange considering this is a sportscar forum. But I digress.

    Just see over on Jalopnik that the Z06 Vette has been leaked - and was just thinking they will probably have one at Daytona, wouldn't ya think? Seeing as the C7-R is debuting next weekend.......something like 600+hp and a DCT tranny. It might be able to beat our 981's, et al.

    Maybe I should start a thread on Trabants or something........hello?? hello?
    GT Silver CS
    1980 Honda CBX
    2013 Aqua Boxster S - incoming
    2009 Infiniti FX50
    2012 Arctic Cat ProClimb 800

  10. #30
    bobk115's Avatar
    bobk115 is offline Porsche Person
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Does anyone know of a Rolex 24 Porsche Corral Pass for sale?

    Bob
    Cayman S
    E46 BMW M3 CM Club Racer

  11. #31
    matttheboatman's Avatar
    matttheboatman is offline Porsche Activist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    283
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Update: I did sell my PCA coral pass, so it is no longer available.

    I am really disappointed that I will not be able to attend the Rolex 24s. It really should like it could be an awesome Porsche experience - hope the new Cars do well.

    If anyone goes, PLEASE post some pictures of the racing and other track activities so we can enjoy vicariously.

    Matt
    On Order - 2015 Cayman GTS, Guards red, black Alcantara, Carrera S Wheels in Plantinum Satin, PDK, X73 Sport Suspension, PTV, and some other nice Porsche Exclusive sporty bits.

    SOLD
    - 2014 Cayman S Guards red, PDK, Sports Chrono, 20" Carrera Classics, Infortainment with Bose, PASM, 14 way Seats, Beige interior

  12. #32
    wahtab's Avatar
    wahtab is offline Porsche Chatter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    48
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by gtscayman View Post
    The 24 hours is less than a week away and it looks like there may be some interest on this forum. REALLLY strange considering this is a sportscar forum. But I digress.

    Just see over on Jalopnik that the Z06 Vette has been leaked - and was just thinking they will probably have one at Daytona, wouldn't ya think? Seeing as the C7-R is debuting next weekend.......something like 600+hp and a DCT tranny. It might be able to beat our 981's, et al.

    Maybe I should start a thread on Trabants or something........hello?? hello?
    Perhaps the lukewarm response from this forum is due to the fact that Caymans are not competing in the 24-Hours - but only in the companion event the day prior on Friday. I am personally a little bummed about this; but will go watch team Sahlens ( and possibly other Caymans?) compete on Friday in the 2 1/2 hour race.
    2011 Cayman 6MT.

  13. #33
    Nifster's Avatar
    Nifster is offline Porsche Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    164
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by gtscayman View Post
    This is a sports car forum and a thread on the 24 hours of Daytona is dead and 3 people from North America are going???!!!! What's up with this group. Porsche factory drivers and cars (sort of) are going to be there, this is the first ALMS/GA get together, the new C7R Vette will debut, the Mazda diesel prototype will debut, etc

    I am arriving in Orlando the Saturday before the 24 hours and plan to go to the track early in the week just to get a lay of the land, not having been there before. I'll be buying two day passes for the grandstands and the infield, no camping, and plan to show up Saturday morning for the race. Might get a pit pass too. We'll see how the weather and I stand up but may or may not stay the night at the track. Probably bring a space blanket and a plastic sheet for rain and cold.

    So is there a fair going on 24 hours in the infield? Any tips for a first timer as to where to view from in the stands or the infield? Places to eat? Etc? Is there anybody in this forum listening??!!
    You can watch from anywhere in the grand stands. I usually go up top close to the turn into the infield. You can eat anywhere. Stuff inside is expensive. There is a Cracker Barrel outside the track. I used to stay over night but have a hotel room about 10 minutes away. I didn't get a car camping spot - just the corral pass.
    gtscayman likes this.

  14. #34
    gtscayman's Avatar
    gtscayman is offline Boxster Buddy
    4,000 post club
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    4,100
    Images
    2
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Went to the track today and picked up the tickets!
    GT Silver CS
    1980 Honda CBX
    2013 Aqua Boxster S - incoming
    2009 Infiniti FX50
    2012 Arctic Cat ProClimb 800

  15. #35
    halfbreeded's Avatar
    halfbreeded is offline Platinum Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    76
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    does anyone know if it is live streaming online anywhere? Fox is covering very limited time and I would like to see full coverage.
    ** 2013 Porsche Premier Dealer
    ** Porsche of the Main Line
    ** Internet Sales Manager

  16. #36
    STLPCA's Avatar
    STLPCA is offline PCA Member
    2,000 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    2,524
    Downloads
    102
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by gtscayman View Post
    I love the atmosphere of sportscar racing, and I'm saying that after attending F1, MotoGP, Indycar, Champcar, NHRA, WoO, NASCAR, etc.
    You absolutely must go to Le Mans for the 24. This June will be my third time (2005 & 2010) and although I've been to many other pro races, there's nothing else like it on the planet. Should be on every race fan's bucket list.

    However, the garage access at Daytona is incredible. Make sure your tickets include it.
    Last edited by STLPCA; 01-24-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    gtscayman likes this.
    Dan
    National PCA DE Instructor
    2006 Cayman S 3.8L 997S X51 Turbo

  17. #37
    stratman's Avatar
    stratman is offline PCA Member
    3,000 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    3,415
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by halfbreeded View Post
    does anyone know if it is live streaming online anywhere? Fox is covering very limited time and I would like to see full coverage.

    http://www.imsa.com/races/rolex-24-daytona. IMSA SITE.

    TVRacer.com - TV Racing Schedule. TV schedule.



    "FOX network to air first two hours of 15 total hours of FOX Sports coverage

    The 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona will make history on Jan. 25-26 as the inaugural race of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, and race fans can see the event in its entirety across multiple platforms including the FOX Network.

    Leading the way will be a two-hour live telecast on FOX beginning at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 25. FOX’s over-the-air coverage will feature 10 minutes of pre-race action before the green flag drops at 2:10 p.m. ET. The start of the race has been moved up 20 minutes to accommodate the network telecast.

    "There is no better way to introduce the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship than to televise the first moments of the new series' existence to a national audience through FOX Network television," said David Pettit, International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) vice president of marketing. "The Rolex 24 At Daytona will serve as the official launch of our five-year partnership with FOX Sports, and will provide fans with unprecedented access. This year's Rolex 24 is perhaps the most anticipated North American sports car race in history, and FOX Sports will anchor our live coverage options."

    Just as each of the 68 teams entered for the twice-around-the clock event will utilize multiple drivers, this year's Rolex 24 broadcast will feature multiple platforms with a wide variety of ways to watch and listen. The full TV coverage plan is as follows:

    Saturday, Jan. 25

    2-4 p.m. ET on FOX

    4-9 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 2

    Overnight (Jan. 25-26)

    9 p.m. – 7 a.m. ET on IMSA.com (includes live images, in-car cameras and announcers)

    Sunday, Jan. 26

    7 a.m. – 3 p.m. on FOX Sports 1

    Live streaming of the Rolex 24 At Daytona also will be available on the FOX Sports GO mobile application for iOS devices.

    Bob Varsha once again leads a broadcast booth that includes Calvin Fish, Dorsey Schroeder, Brian Till, Tommy Kendall and Justin Bell. Calling the action on pit lane will be Chris Neville, Jamie Howe, Andrew Marriott and Matt Yocum.

    International television coverage of the Rolex 24 At Daytona will be available in more than 335 million households across 144 countries and territories. Networks carrying Rolex 24 coverage include SPEED (Canada), Fox Sports Latin America, Motors TV (Europe) and Network Ten (Australia), among others.

    In addition to the live telecasts, Motor Racing Network, kicking off its 45th year of broadcasting, will air live flag-to-flag radio coverage of the Rolex 24 At Daytona along with 12 races in the inaugural TUDOR Championship. All Motor Racing Network races also are streamed live at MotorRacingNetwork.com - MotorRacingNetwork.com. Live coverage of the Rolex 24 At Daytona also can be heard on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio (channel 90) starting at 2 pm ET. The entire TUDOR Championship season can be heard on Sirius channel 117.

    IMSA.com will offer streaming of all MRN broadcasts as part of its impressive arsenal of live online coverage. IMSA.com and the brand-new IMSA mobile app also provide live timing and scoring data from every on-track session, social media integration and up-to-the minute news coverage. IMSA.com will have a full-race replay of the Rolex 24 available on demand 24 hours after the FOX Sports telecast.

    In addition to streaming on-board coverage, SPEED: The Motors on FOX Blog covers the event all week with hourly race blog updates, photo galleries, fast-turn video and active social media participation.

    The 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona kicks off the inaugural, 12-race TUDOR Championship season. The race is also the first of the four-race Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup.

    The IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge also launches its 2014 campaign at Daytona International Speedway on Friday, Jan. 24. FOX Sports 2 will have same-day television coverage of the season opener at 6 p.m. ET.
    Last edited by stratman; 01-23-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    paperclip likes this.
    2012 CS, Guards Red, black leather, PDK, red seat belts, red gauges, sport design wheel with paddle shift.

  18. #38
    Mike R.'s Avatar
    Mike R. is offline PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
    2,000 post club
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,632
    Images
    124
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    34
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: SpacialCoder

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    And when you are there, please cheer (and maybe even donateicon) to Team Seattle's "Heart of Racing" entry into the GTD class (#23):


    Attended the Heart of Racing fund raiser
    Current cars: 2013 racing yellow Porsche Boxster 981 S (Leipzig delivery) / 1994 Subaru SVX LSi / 2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R
    Past cars (owned/driven): 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500ccm (RIP on German highway) / 1963 Mercedes Unimog S (military) /1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton wagon (now my daughter's)
    Read my blog for the European delivery and trip reports.

  19. #39
    enthuz's Avatar
    enthuz is offline Porsche Idealist 500 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    774
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    19
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Thanks Stratman for posting the goofy coverage. I wish Comcast would get Fox2, but at least I'll be able to view the stream on imsa.com.


    I wish Fox would put all the coverage on 1 channel. This bouncing around sure won't help gain viewership from the casual fan-to-be.


    I wonder if & when the Continental race will be rebroadcast on something other than Fox2.
    2006 Basalt Black Cayman S
    2003 Titanium Miata

  20. #40
    Blue Spur's Avatar
    Blue Spur is offline Porsche Specialist 500 post club
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    663
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Rolex 24 hours at Daytona 2014

    Buried under nearly a foot of snow and spent an 1-1/2 hours standing at Grand Central Terminal yesterday.
    Can't wait for the weekend and the 24 Hours from relatively warm Daytona!
    2008 Cayman S
    2012 A7

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •