Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

PASM: can one soften the suspension?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  paco 
#1 ·
Gentlemen, this is my first posting (in my life)
I have a 987 boxster S with PASM, and it is too hard for Greek roads-where I live...Can one fit the normal shock absorbers in order to soften the car, or it is impossible?:thanks:Dimitris

#2 ·
Welcome to the swamp.

It may be that PASM in non-sport mode provides a more compliant ride than the standard suspension. Do you have 19" wheels and tires? If so, switching to 18s may help. Some tire brands also provide a more compliant ride than others.

Almost any switch is possible, but a proper suspension switch from PASM to the standard suspension might be somewhat expensive, but probably not as costly as going from the standard suspension to the PASM. The standard suspension apparently does have slightly softer spring rates (someone posted the spring rate graphs for the Cayman S here recently), but I don't know how much the shocks differ in their dampening rates. In short, I hope someone who knows more than I steps up to provide a better answer.

#3 ·
You could for one fit springs from a non-PASM car - they are softer. There may also be some aftermarket offerings that have progressive springs which will also be more comliant. Finally, 986 springs may be softer and may fit...

#4 ·
Kalws ton filo mas !!! poy meneis athina?

a friend of mine has boxster s with pasm, 18 inch wheels and the ride is very soft to mine, which i have a boxster with 18 inch wheels. when he presses pasm, then the ride tightens a lot, as tight as i am. but, you should have a very enjoyable ride though with pasm, i know my friend does!

#5 ·
Gentlemen,

thank you for all your informative answers! I have already ordered a set of 18" Cayman S wheels with Michelin PS2s which arrive next week. From your comments it seems that this will solve my problems of too hard suspension (and a bad back). In case further improvement is needed, I will put the standard springs. In case a Greek friend is interested, I am selling the set of (unmarked-perfect) Carrera S 19" wheels I have now...

File SIAM6128, meno stin Filothei, pira tora pou ekana to deutero paidi tin proti moy Porsche! kai exo trelathei na diavazo ola ta periodika (excellence, 911 etc)!!

#6 ·
I honestly don't think you're going to see a ton of difference w/the 18s. I have PASM+18s on my 987s and it's still pretty rough. If this doesn't work out for you, I'd suggest you go a bit further & try 17s. Search for a few threads on this in this forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.