0-60 Cayman 981 S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    0-60 Cayman 981 S

    All the published 981 S 0-60 times range from 4.3 to 4.6 seconds. But I can’t get mine to break 6! WTF?

    Look I’m not a professional driver ... but with a PDK and good launch I should be able to turn 5 sec 0-60... no?

    Educate me please. What am I doing wrong?

    Here’s my prep:

    1- Sport more on traction control off

    2-L foot on brake right on accelerator

    3-step in accelerator ... engine revs to 6-7k release brake and launch car.

    The best time I’ve pulled off is 5.9 secs 🤮

    There is a passenger with stop watch ...monitoring speedo he weighs 220. I weigh 200

    Temperature outside is about 100 degrees F ...maybe an issue .. but a full second??

    Any help or encouragement is greatly appreciated

  2. Remove Advertisements

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    759
    Likes (Given)
    100
    Likes (Received)
    282
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu2 View Post
    All the published 981 S 0-60 times range from 4.3 to 4.6 seconds. But I can’t get mine to break 6! WTF?

    Look I’m not a professional driver ... but with a PDK and good launch I should be able to turn 5 sec 0-60... no?

    Educate me please. What am I doing wrong?

    Here’s my prep:

    1- Sport more on traction control off

    2-L foot on brake right on accelerator

    3-step in accelerator ... engine revs to 6-7k release brake and launch car.

    The best time I’ve pulled off is 5.9 secs

    There is a passenger with stop watch ...monitoring speedo he weighs 220. I weigh 200

    Temperature outside is about 100 degrees F ...maybe an issue .. but a full second??

    Any help or encouragement is greatly appreciated
    Read this thread especially post #13.

    https://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/14...boxster-s.html

    A few thoughts /questions.

    2 people in the car isn’t helping your 0 to 60 times.

    Outside temps definitely hurting.

    Stop watch isn’t all that accurate - you’d get much more precise data with something like this:
    https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...performancebox

    Are your tires properly inflated and do they have decent tread ?

    What tires are you running ?

    Road surface condition also factors in to getting a good launch.

    Are you getting tire spin ?
    Agate Gray 2016 Cayman GTS, 6 Speed, GTS interior.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Lexani Tires .... new with good tread and yes I have a slight spin issue (tires bark) in some launches but not others. Inflated to 39

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Planet-9.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    759
    Likes (Given)
    100
    Likes (Received)
    282
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu2 View Post
    Lexani Tires .... new with good tread and yes I have a slight spin issue (tires bark) in some launches but not others. Inflated to 39
    I’m not familiar with Lexani tires.

    I’d definitely say your rear tire pressures are too high - try lowering them to 33 # and see if you get better results. If you get better results at 33 # try going to 35 and see what happens -mid times get worse at 35 try 31 #.

    Also, try finding someone that weighs less than 220 # to help you.
    Agate Gray 2016 Cayman GTS, 6 Speed, GTS interior.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    1,017
    Likes (Given)
    81
    Likes (Received)
    287
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu2 View Post
    All the published 981 S 0-60 times range from 4.3 to 4.6 seconds. But I can’t get mine to break 6! WTF?

    Look I’m not a professional driver ... but with a PDK and good launch I should be able to turn 5 sec 0-60... no?

    Educate me please. What am I doing wrong?

    Here’s my prep:

    1- Sport more on traction control off

    2-L foot on brake right on accelerator

    3-step in accelerator ... engine revs to 6-7k release brake and launch car.

    The best time I’ve pulled off is 5.9 secs 🤮

    There is a passenger with stop watch ...monitoring speedo he weighs 220. I weigh 200

    Temperature outside is about 100 degrees F ...maybe an issue .. but a full second??

    Any help or encouragement is greatly appreciated
    Heat is a HP killer and so is any extra weight. You also mention you turned the traction control off for some reason and are getting a little bit of wheel spin which is hurting you. Despite our best efforts, its very inaccurate for humans to try to manually start and stop using stopwatch in the car when things are being measured in 10ths of a second. The slightest delay in the start/stop is much larger than that and can have a huge impact on the time. The average human reaction time is 0.25 seconds despite them thinking they are doing the task instantly. All of these things combined are hurting your times.
    Last edited by ICNU; 07-21-2019 at 06:55 AM.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,943
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    638
    Images
    50
    Downloads
    32
    Uploads
    4

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu2 View Post
    All the published 981 S 0-60 times range from 4.3 to 4.6 seconds. But I can’t get mine to break 6! WTF?

    Look I’m not a professional driver ... but with a PDK and good launch I should be able to turn 5 sec 0-60... no?

    Educate me please. What am I doing wrong?

    Here’s my prep:

    1- Sport more on traction control off

    2-L foot on brake right on accelerator

    3-step in accelerator ... engine revs to 6-7k release brake and launch car.

    The best time I’ve pulled off is 5.9 secs 🤮

    There is a passenger with stop watch ...monitoring speedo he weighs 220. I weigh 200

    Temperature outside is about 100 degrees F ...maybe an issue .. but a full second??

    Any help or encouragement is greatly appreciated

    You mention Sport mode. Do you have Sport Plus? You describe Launch control in your post.

    I have used a VBOX Sport to measure my 0-60. Best is 4.3 seconds at a drag strip with sticky stuff on the concrete to aid traction. My car has a 3.8L X51 engine/PDK with 375 HP st the wheels and I am disappointed I was not below 4 seconds.

    General rule of thumb at the strip is 100 lbs cost 0.1 seconds in 1/4 mile time.

    Be careful of adjusting tire air pressures too much. The following video shows what happens with Launch Control and PSM when front air pressure is 40 psi and rears are 27. I tried this as drag strip 'lore' is to improve times by decreasing front rolling resistance by increasing air pressure and to increase rear contact patch by decreasing air pressure. This changed the effective diameters of front to rear outside of PSM tolerance and the car cut throttle at launch. Once air pressures were adjusted to the same all around the car launched properly.




    V6
    Last edited by Voyager6; 07-21-2019 at 07:54 AM.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    22
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    3
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    I just picked up my 2014 CS a few days ago and haven't tried launch control yet, but I don't think you're doing it right and just bogging down the engine and overheating the clutch.

    Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paQZK800TeA

    One thing it doesn't mention is that you'll see "Launch Control" light up either above or on the steering wheel (depends on which steering wheel you have).
    Last edited by JohnnyG; 07-21-2019 at 08:25 AM.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks for all the help.

    I did try it again this AM and the best I got 4.68. The rest of the tries ranged from 5.2 - 4.8.

    Much improved. I think a lot of this in the technique of engaging the kickdown switch. Also I did it solo with a remote button on the steering wheel to a stop watch and it was 62 degrees F.

    I’m not sure if this S has launch control or not. It’s a 3.4 L PDK. It has Sport mode but not Spirt plus. I haven’t messed with the tire pressures ... left them at 39.

    Forgive me! I’m a total rookie with a Porsche... this is my first one and I’m just tinkering with it right now.

    Hey it may not be the quickest on the street but the damned thing is fun and just a very sexy car. Wife loves the look of it.

    Thanks for all the input!
    😁

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,943
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    638
    Images
    50
    Downloads
    32
    Uploads
    4

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
    I just picked up my 2014 CS a few days ago and haven't tried launch control yet, but I don't think you're doing it right and just bogging down the engine and overheating the clutch.

    Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paQZK800TeA

    One thing it doesn't mention is that you'll see "Launch Control" light up either above or on the steering wheel (depends on which steering wheel you have).
    When in Launch Control, when holding on the brake and flooring the throttle, it will turn off and reduce RPM after 10 seconds to prevent the clutch wear/overheating you describe. This makes it difficult at the drag strip as you need to stage last, engage LC, and hope the starter starts the lights before the 10 seconds are up. Without launch control I don't think you can get the car to 6500 RPM, perhaps 4k. The only way this could happen is if you can get the clutch to disengage via the paddles or manual shift.

    V6

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,943
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    638
    Images
    50
    Downloads
    32
    Uploads
    4

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu2 View Post
    Thanks for all the help.

    I did try it again this AM and the best I got 4.68. The rest of the tries ranged from 5.2 - 4.8.

    Much improved. I think a lot of this in the technique of engaging the kickdown switch. Also I did it solo with a remote button on the steering wheel to a stop watch and it was 62 degrees F.

    Iím not sure if this S has launch control or not. Itís a 3.4 L PDK. It has Sport mode but not Spirt plus. I havenít messed with the tire pressures ... left them at 39.

    Forgive me! Iím a total rookie with a Porsche... this is my first one and Iím just tinkering with it right now.

    Hey it may not be the quickest on the street but the damned thing is fun and just a very sexy car. Wife loves the look of it.

    Thanks for all the input!
    😁

    4.68 is not bad on dry pavement. The tires used and if they are heated up and the surface will be the only variables left. I am sure the factory uses the most optimum configuration (slicks warmed up via a burnout, good gas, and a sticky pavement) to generate their numbers.

    V6

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    1,017
    Likes (Given)
    81
    Likes (Received)
    287
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu2 View Post
    Thanks for all the help.

    I did try it again this AM and the best I got 4.68. The rest of the tries ranged from 5.2 - 4.8.

    Much improved. I think a lot of this in the technique of engaging the kickdown switch. Also I did it solo with a remote button on the steering wheel to a stop watch and it was 62 degrees F.

    I’m not sure if this S has launch control or not. It’s a 3.4 L PDK. It has Sport mode but not Spirt plus. I haven’t messed with the tire pressures ... left them at 39.

    Forgive me! I’m a total rookie with a Porsche... this is my first one and I’m just tinkering with it right now.

    Hey it may not be the quickest on the street but the damned thing is fun and just a very sexy car. Wife loves the look of it.

    Thanks for all the input!
    😁
    If you dont have the sport chrono option or Sport +, then you dont have launch control. The sport chrono option has a lap timer clock in the middle of the dash and includes the Sport + button. You are basically just flooring it with the brakes on which is not the same thing as the factory launch control which acts more like a trans brake like drag cars use. This is something you may not want to keep doing considering that the PDK is not a serviceable transmission, even for some minor issues and is $25,000 to replace if anything gets damaged.
    Last edited by ICNU; 07-21-2019 at 08:17 PM.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    22
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    3
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Yup...you don't have launch control. First, try just mashing the throttle Then, try holding the brake, mash the throttle, and release the brake when RPMs hit about 3K. Your foot should only be on the brake for a second or so. More RPM or longer brake hold and you will just make it worse - for both your 0-60 time, and for your poor Porsche! With either method, you will likely have to modulate the go pedal to manage wheel spin.
    Last edited by JohnnyG; 07-22-2019 at 09:40 AM.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,943
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    638
    Images
    50
    Downloads
    32
    Uploads
    4

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    FYI, Cobb PDK tune reportedly gives Launch Control to non Sport Chrono/Sport Plus cars. So lack of a Sport Plus button may not mean a car does not have Launch Control.

    V6

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    22
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    3
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    But if a Cobb tune provides a launch control function, then it must be ADDING something, no? It's just coding afterall...but the cars without Sport Plus button simply don't have that coding from the factory.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    1,017
    Likes (Given)
    81
    Likes (Received)
    287
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager6 View Post
    FYI, Cobb PDK tune reportedly gives Launch Control to non Sport Chrono/Sport Plus cars. So lack of a Sport Plus button may not mean a car does not have Launch Control.

    V6
    That's an astronomical stretch V6. So you are saying that there is a chance he has the Cobb PDK Tune that the previous owner loaded on and for some reason didn't remove it when he sold the car despite the fact that he could have easily removed it and sold the Cobb device for almost what he paid for it like everyone else does, and that this guy bought the car without knowing any of this and what he is doing might just be OK just because there might be a one in a billion chance simply because the Cobb PDK tune exist in the first place? Sorry, but he has a greater chance of winning the lottery two weeks in a row than this actually being the case here

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,943
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    638
    Images
    50
    Downloads
    32
    Uploads
    4

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by ICNU View Post
    That's an astronomical stretch V6. So you are saying that there is a chance he has the Cobb PDK Tune that the previous owner loaded on and for some reason didn't remove it when he sold the car despite the fact that he could have easily removed it and sold the Cobb device for almost what he paid for it like everyone else does, and that this guy bought the car without knowing any of this and what he is doing might just be OK just because there might be a one in a billion chance simply because the Cobb PDK tune exist in the first place? Sorry, but he has a greater chance of winning the lottery two weeks in a row than this actually being the case here
    Note the words "may " and "a car". I was correcting your statement for another possibility that you overlooked. I was not specifically implying his car had a Cobb PDK tune.

    V6
    Last edited by Voyager6; 07-22-2019 at 06:45 PM.

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I’ll take ICNU’s advice.

    I obviously don’t have launch control... and I certainly don’t wanna FUBAR my PDK to the tune of $25 grand.

    So I’ll just be happy as an “old man”’with a beautiful Dark Metallic Blue 981 S.

    Besides ... if I really wanted serious straight line speed ... this WOULD NOT be the model of choice.

    Thanks again for the replies. I apparently have a lot to learn about this car. 😁😁

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    1,017
    Likes (Given)
    81
    Likes (Received)
    287
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager6 View Post
    Note the words "may " and "a car". I was correcting your statement for another possibility that you overlooked. I was not specifically implying his car had a Cobb PDK tune.

    V6
    We are talking about HIS specific car here and the factory Sport Chrono and launch control. Yes, technically there is the option to get a poor man's version of launch control with a Coob PDK tune, and in that case you could have a similar function (its not the exact same thing as the factory launch control according to Cobb) without a Sport + button on the console. I dont think there was any confusion by anyone regarding what was actually being discussed here, but OK and thanks for the "correction".

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1,943
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    638
    Images
    50
    Downloads
    32
    Uploads
    4

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Quote Originally Posted by ICNU View Post
    We are talking about HIS specific car here and the factory Sport Chrono and launch control. Yes, technically there is the option to get a poor man's version of launch control with a Coob PDK tune, and in that case you could have a similar function (its not the exact same thing as the factory launch control according to Cobb) without a Sport + button on the console. I dont think there was any confusion by anyone regarding what was actually being discussed here, but OK and thanks for the "correction".
    Having a bad day?

    V6

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SATX
    Posts
    4
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Re: 0-60 Cayman 981 S

    Not encouraging recklessness but the PDK transmission isn't a dainty flower that should be phased by a few 0-60 launches: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-65-7-roa0314/
    2011 Boxster Spyder

  23. Remove Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts