painting lug nuts
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: painting lug nuts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    306
    Likes (Given)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    30
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    painting lug nuts

    Getting ready to paint the calipers (in-place). While I'm at it, taking care of cleaning up the wheels, wheel wells, rust around the rotors and lug nuts etc. The nuts now look very good after
    soaking in Evopo-Rust overnight but the paint on them is not in good condition. So, thinking of painting them. In old threads on this topic, I saw some comments about paint chipping off
    after awhile. Anyone has good paint recommendation? Just go with VHT wheel paint/primer?

    Also, started the preparation few days ago and the car has been on jack stands and looks like I'm going to take few more days to complete this. OK to leave the car on jack stands for
    extended time?

  2. Remove Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,538
    Likes (Given)
    102
    Likes (Received)
    255
    Images
    15
    Downloads
    61
    Uploads
    0

    Re: painting lug nuts

    Painting success/durability is all about the surface preparation. Skimp on that process, and you'll get whatever results you've earned.
    A few days with the car perched on jack stands won't hurt the car, but long-term storage in that state, with the suspension unloaded, is not recommended as I recall.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Best regards,
    Croc'ed
    Metro NY PCA Deputy Chief DE Instructor

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    104
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    26
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0

    Re: painting lug nuts

    I painted mine with Wurth European Blend Silver Wheel paint and they have held up well (1.5 years with multiple wheel removals). I put a stainless brush on a Dremel and cleaned the scale and surface rust off of them. I then prepped them with some rubbing alcohol, then sprayed them with Wurth self etching primer, the Wurth Sliver then the Wurth clear. I individually taped the threads and collar on each bolt so I ended up just spraying the heads. A pizza box with some holes drilled in it makes for an easy way to spray them all at once (and carry them around). Next time I will go buy some titanium boltsicon :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails painting lug nuts-20170831_145145-jpg   painting lug nuts-20170903_115546-jpg   painting lug nuts-20170903_105551-jpg  
    2009 Boxster Base

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Planet-9.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    4,809
    Likes (Given)
    1064
    Likes (Received)
    1177
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    30
    Uploads
    0

    Re: painting lug nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by zuch View Post
    I painted mine with Wurth European Blend Silver Wheel paint and they have held up well (1.5 years with multiple wheel removals). I put a stainless brush on a Dremel and cleaned the scale and surface rust off of them. I then prepped them with some rubbing alcohol, then sprayed them with Wurth self etching primer, the Wurth Sliver then the Wurth clear. I individually taped the threads and collar on each bolt so I ended up just spraying the heads. A pizza box with some holes drilled in it makes for an easy way to spray them all at once (and carry them around). Next time I will go buy some titanium boltsicon :-)
    They turned out great, but I went with the Titanium route...

    https://www.acerracing.com/collections/porsche
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails painting lug nuts-acer-racing-titanium-lug-bolts-jpg   painting lug nuts-20170601_164700-jpg   painting lug nuts-20170601_164714-jpg  
    2016 BGTS since Sept 8th, 2015! Previous rides:
    2013 Boxster 981-S
    2006 Boxster Base
    2003 Boxster Base "First convertible"
    1990 RX-7 "Rotary Rocket"/ 1988 Z51 Corvette/ 1975 280Z

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    104
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    26
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0

    Re: painting lug nuts

    Yeah, those look great. Techie question....do you still use Optimoly lube with those? I assume you still need to use some kind of thread lube? Switching metal alloys always scares me, especially when you are connecting to a different alloy (obviously neither the wheel nor the hub are titanium) and I have never seen a statement on what thread lube to use with the titanium boltsicon. Lots of people use titanium and have good luck so this is primarily a curiosity question. I freaked myself out similarly with an ignition coil bolt. I stripped one of the original ones and replaced it with stainless but after a week I ordered the OEM version just because I was worried about the different alloys :-) I should have paid more attention in my materials classes in college.
    2009 Boxster Base

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    4,809
    Likes (Given)
    1064
    Likes (Received)
    1177
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    30
    Uploads
    0

    Re: painting lug nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by zuch View Post
    Yeah, those look great. Techie question....do you still use Optimoly lube with those? I assume you still need to use some kind of thread lube? Switching metal alloys always scares me, especially when you are connecting to a different alloy (obviously neither the wheel nor the hub are titanium) and I have never seen a statement on what thread lube to use with the titanium boltsicon. Lots of people use titanium and have good luck so this is primarily a curiosity question. I freaked myself out similarly with an ignition coil bolt. I stripped one of the original ones and replaced it with stainless but after a week I ordered the OEM version just because I was worried about the different alloys :-) I should have paid more attention in my materials classes in college.
    According to my reading (Porsche owners manual), no lubrication should be used, and as always clean wheel bolts before fitting. It is my understanding that lubrication will alter the torque values and of course Porsche does not recommend nor endorse anything but genuine Porsche wheel bolts.

    I have been running Titanium bolts installed clean and dry, torqued to 118ft/lbs on the wheels pictured above for nearly 4 years now, no evidence of dissimilar metal interaction or corrosion has been noted. This has been my experience, but as usual YMMV.
    2016 BGTS since Sept 8th, 2015! Previous rides:
    2013 Boxster 981-S
    2006 Boxster Base
    2003 Boxster Base "First convertible"
    1990 RX-7 "Rotary Rocket"/ 1988 Z51 Corvette/ 1975 280Z

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    104
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    26
    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0

    Re: painting lug nuts

    Interesting. My 2009 owners manual calls for lube and a lower torque value of 96 ft-lbs (shhhh, don't tell anybody I'm in the 981 section).
    Last edited by zuch; 05-21-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    2009 Boxster Base

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    4,809
    Likes (Given)
    1064
    Likes (Received)
    1177
    Images
    1
    Downloads
    30
    Uploads
    0

    Re: painting lug nuts

    Quote Originally Posted by zuch View Post
    Interesting. My 2009 owners manual calls for lube and a lower torque value of 96 ft-lbs (shhhh, don't tell anybody I'm in the 981 section).
    No worries, you're among friends, and contrary to popular belief we even like 718's!

    Yes, on previous Boxsters that I have had (2003,2006), the wheels bolts were silver and the torque spec as you mentioned was 96 ft/lbs, the 981's have black bolts which spec out to a higher torque, curious why the change in lubrication...
    2016 BGTS since Sept 8th, 2015! Previous rides:
    2013 Boxster 981-S
    2006 Boxster Base
    2003 Boxster Base "First convertible"
    1990 RX-7 "Rotary Rocket"/ 1988 Z51 Corvette/ 1975 280Z

  11. Remove Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. Lug Bolts vs Lug Nuts
    By Coloradocurt in forum Porsche Tires & Wheels
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2019, 05:15 PM
  2. Powder coating lug nuts?
    By oregonduckman in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Modifications
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 07:58 PM
  3. Chrome Lug Nuts on the Cheap
    By iremembercliford in forum Porsche Tires & Wheels
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
  4. Anyone know where to find black open end lug nuts?
    By dustindb in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Modifications
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 12:40 PM
  5. where can i find open ended lug nuts for the CS?
    By fafnir in forum 987 Cayman and Boxster Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •