Hello Planet 9! I thought there might be a few 987 owners out there thinking about a switch from the 987 to GT4, so I thought I'd share some pics and thoughts
After 4 years of owning my Meteorite Grey 987S and about 20k miles, I wasn't sure I would ever replace it. I have loved the mid engine balance, light weight, lack of (or at least very little) depreciation, and the practicality for road trips. But, I found myself watching every GT4 video on youtube... and I couldn't pass up an opportunity to pick up a Guards Red GT4 w/ CPO
A few thoughts so far on the difference between the two cars:
- I can't believe how much more modern the 981 platform feels (both good and bad). I guess this shouldn't be such a big shock going ~10 years into the future development wise, but the 987 feels downright analog in every way when driven back to back with the GT4
- Going 6/10 in the 987 is more fun than 6/10 in the GT4
- Going 10/10 in the GT4 is way more fun than 10/10 in the 987
- The capabilities of the GT4 and the Cup 2 tires (lateral grip, braking, etc) are a huge step up, maybe more than I was expecting
- It has been a big adjustment to what the limits of the GT4 are compared to the limits of the 987. I better understand now what auto journalists are talking about when they say how you can drive a miata 10/10ths on the street and have a ton of fun, and it feels like you have to be on a track to really have fun in a supercar. While the GT4 isn't supercar territory, I never quite understood those comments until now.
- A few friends and I went for a weekend drive recently with the GT4, a GT350, and an E46 M3. One of my friends drove the GT4 and Shelby back to back, and said that while the GT4 felt incredibly competent in all areas, and just devoured the back roads with little effort, while still being a ton of fun, the Shelby scared him
That's all for now!
My 987S is up on Bring a Trailer for sale now. It's been fun so far with the comments of perspective bidders. It is going to be sad to see it go!