Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

How do you wash your Porsche during warm weather?

• Wash your own car by hand.

Votes: 82 92.1%
  • Automatic car wash touchless or not.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • You pay someone else to wash your car by hand.

Votes: 5 5.6%

How do you wash your Porsche during warm weather?

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Capercat 
#1 ·
I was wondering how our members wash their Porsche during warm weather.

#2 ·
In Florida, warm weather is most of the time....but not as much as the Philippines! There are numerous threads here on how to wash your car and there are a number of sponsors here that specialize in detailing. I wash my car because I am certain I will take more care than anyone else and I find it both relaxing and fun.

#4 ·
A neighbor a couple of doors down walked by yesterday and said I should never wash a car in the sun. I yelled back, "its fine, the paint is cool to the touch." (50F) outside. "It's not what I read", he yells back. He owns a BMW 335i and he never washes his car at home, always takes it to those automatic washes with the soft cloth rags that hang down. I yell back again, "You don't even wash your own car." He yells back, "Yeah right! I wash it at night at the car wash and then take it home and spray it with detailer spray in the garage." Don't you love it when people offer up advice that you never asked for.

Ispain yes the Philippines is very warm. I actually live Kansas and sometimes I think the sun is hotter here.

#5 ·
I regligously always wash it myself.....use the 3 bucket system, 3 different mitts for different regions, foam gun, out of sun if possible, water softner filter, pat dry with towel, etc, etc.

When I take my car to the dealer I tell them "DO NOT WASH MY CAR"!

I wash mine weekly and even my other cars I (before I stopped caring for them) never really got a swirl mark problem after many years of weekly wasking.

I take pride in seeing the results of my efforts.......

#7 ·
I hand wash my car weekly. I actually do the wheels first including the iinside of the wheels using a soft broush. I then use a completely new pail of water and totally different micro-fiber covered sponge. Water blad for excess water and micro-fiber for finish drying. I wash in the sun but keep all surfaces wet until I am ready to dry (this is why I do the wheels first....).

#8 ·
I try to wash my car once a week, and a good wax at least once every 3 months. I got a foam gun when it's really dirty and then the two bucket method.

What do you guys do with dust that accumulates on the car while in the garage? Heard good and bad things about the California duster.

I just discovered a decent wax that can by bought at Walmart of all places. It's called Autoglym. Pricey at $34 but I heard it sells twice this price in Europe.

#10 ·
Greetings,

I have used a California Duster for many years on several black automobiles. I'm not sure what the secret is, however, I gently use the duster to lightly dust the car. I do NOT use the duster to rub off the dust.

I'm not sure that's proper grammar, however, the operative word is gently dusting the car.

A good wax should eliminate any micro-abrasions from the dust.

Be gentle and you should be fine.

Semper Fi

#9 ·
Greetings,

We generally have warm weather throughout the year in Southern California. Therefore, my procedures do not change.

1. Rinse car and wheels thoroughly - be generous with water.
2. Add soap to my Griot's Garage Auto Soap Sprayer and liberally apply a soapy solution to the entire car.
3. Use a microfiber mit to gently wash car. i wash the car every week, sometimes two times a week and therefore, I don't have to "scrub" the paint.
4. Rinse car thoroughly.
5. Wheels get Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner spray. The brake dust comes right off. I designed a rotary brush (from microfiber strips attached to a plastic dowel) inserted in my cordless drill to clean inside rims.
6. Rinse wheels thoroughly.
7. With a microfiber towel, I lightly and gently drag the towel over the car in the same direction of the wind flowing over the car to remove excess water.
8. With the car still wet, I spray Griot's Garage Spray Wax and then wipe dry with a microfiber towel.
9. I dress the tires with a water based tire dressing by using a cotton wipe.
10. I sometimes spray the windshield with glass cleaner and wipe dry with a microfiber towel.

I sometimes repeat the process two days later because the car is black - and black is challenging to keep clean.

If I take a short drive, I will use Griot's Garage Speed Shine or Spray Wax to remove the water drops from mirrors, crevices, wheels, etc.

Good luck - the key is to be gentle and use liberal and copious quantities of water to remove most of the dirt.

A good waxing every so often helps the washing process.

Semper Fi

#12 ·
I wash my car in the sun...but I have a water treatment thing that takes all of the stuff out of the water that would cause spots. No drying required, although I usually do. Hooked up to a low pressure, electric pressure washer. (Not a paint stripping monster.)

CRSpotless.com - Wash, Rinse, and Walk Away

If a sponsor sells this...you should get one from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.