Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

CHALK 718 CAYMAN S AT SONOMA RACEWAY - FEATURING 18" APEX SM-10 WHEELS

We’ve been lucky enough to shoot quite a few well prepared 987 and 981 Caymans since we first introduced our 18” SM-10 Porsche wheel line. As they age, the two mid-engine chassis have proven to be very capable track cars, offering up a well balanced, nimble and ultimately rewarding driving experience while still being relatively affordable. As a result, an increasing number of 911 owners and enthusiasts from other marques are finding themselves behind the wheel of a Cayman. On the Porsche Club Racing front, Spec Cayman (SPC) and GTB classes are also growing in popularity.

2017 was the first model year for the 718, and while a majority in circulation are still fulfilling their duties as daily drivers or weekend warriors, it is only a matter of time before it too serves as common basis for track and race builds. Our customer Ed is early to the game with his beautifully modified Chalk Grey 718 Cayman S, and we jumped at the opportunity to tag along as he attended an HPDE at Sonoma Raceway. The pictures tell the rest of the story.

Car Specs
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman S
Chalk Grey
PASM
Sport Chrono
Torque Vectoring

Wheel Setup
Front:
APEX SM-10 18x9" ET46 Wheels in Satin Black
Nitto NT01 245/40-18
Rear:
APEX SM-10 18x10" ET36 Wheels in Satin Black
Nitto NT01 275/40-18

Modifications
Elephant Racing Front Lower Control Arms
-2.5° Camber front & rear
OMP HTE-R Halo Seats
BBI Sliding Seat Base
CMS Competition Roll Bar
Schroth 6 Point Harness
Girodisc 350mm F. / 330mm R. Slotted Brake Rotors
Hawk DT70 Brake Pads
VBOX HD2 Data Logger
Full Front PPF

- Ryan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm really confused by the +46 in the front and the +36 in the rear.

The widest factory front wheel is a 8.5"+57. To keep the same inset, but a half inch wider, a 9"+51 would be specified. Why, then, did you choose +46?

The widest factory rear wheel is a 10"+50. No width change yet you've chosen a +36. Why did you choose a +36?

·
Registered
322 Posts
They built wheels for the most aggressive possible fitment, so they are flush with the fenders and provide the widest possible stance, without use of spacers.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have two Forged Monoblock lightweight 18 wheelsets, Titan 7 TS-5 which are +46 f 9 in, +35 10 r and Signature SV-104 +47, 9 in f and +35 10 in r. The reason for this offset is while running Ohlins with a smaller coilover spring compared to OEM, I get tire rub on the spring set with Hoosiers 255/35/18 f. Not bad but when changing my tires back to street tires, I find black rub marks. So, they should be +43 to make sure no rubbing on the inner springs. I am having Cantrell Motorsports change my camber to -3.0 with Tarett LCA 3-4 mm shims, which is better than wheel spacers. I have no issues with the fender rub so, I can push them out a little. In the rear, I run 10mm spacers on top of the +35 offset and 4mm internal shims on the Tarett Cup LCA's to get the tires to the fender lip. I can 4 wheel drift through key corners, using slip angle of 8 or so, before the straights to get maximum speed at the end with this well balanced Hoosier A7 setup.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't speak to the differences between the 987 and the 981 so I'll just state why I'm asking.

I have a 981 with PASM, front camber plates, and front and rear split arms. With OEM wheels there is gobs of room to the fender with a 245 on an 8.5"+57 and 4-5mm to the strut. There is even more room to the fender in the rear with a 265 on a 10"+50 and more inside as well.

With aftermarket wheels I have very light rubbing on the fender liner with a 255/35-R19 on a 9"+48 front. This is at -3.2* camber and 7.9* caster. I can likely tweak the wheel position with caster and eliminate the rubbing (or make it worse). I have moderate rubbing in the rear with a 275/35-R19 on a 10"+35. This is at -2.7* camber.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts