Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

CHALK 718 CAYMAN S AT SONOMA RACEWAY - FEATURING 18" APEX SM-10 WHEELS

We’ve been lucky enough to shoot quite a few well prepared 987 and 981 Caymans since we first introduced our 18” SM-10 Porsche wheel line. As they age, the two mid-engine chassis have proven to be very capable track cars, offering up a well balanced, nimble and ultimately rewarding driving experience while still being relatively affordable. As a result, an increasing number of 911 owners and enthusiasts from other marques are finding themselves behind the wheel of a Cayman. On the Porsche Club Racing front, Spec Cayman (SPC) and GTB classes are also growing in popularity.

2017 was the first model year for the 718, and while a majority in circulation are still fulfilling their duties as daily drivers or weekend warriors, it is only a matter of time before it too serves as common basis for track and race builds. Our customer Ed is early to the game with his beautifully modified Chalk Grey 718 Cayman S, and we jumped at the opportunity to tag along as he attended an HPDE at Sonoma Raceway. The pictures tell the rest of the story.

Car Specs
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman S
Chalk Grey
PASM
Sport Chrono
Torque Vectoring

Wheel Setup
Front:
APEX SM-10 18x9" ET46 Wheels in Satin Black
Nitto NT01 245/40-18
Rear:
APEX SM-10 18x10" ET36 Wheels in Satin Black
Nitto NT01 275/40-18

Modifications
Elephant Racing Front Lower Control Arms
-2.5° Camber front & rear
OMP HTE-R Halo Seats
BBI Sliding Seat Base
CMS Competition Roll Bar
Schroth 6 Point Harness
Girodisc 350mm F. / 330mm R. Slotted Brake Rotors
Hawk DT70 Brake Pads
VBOX HD2 Data Logger
Full Front PPF

- Ryan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for posting, very nice looking track set up!

Is the -2.5° Camber front & rear much different from stock?

I'm also looking at wheel/tire and girodisc upgrade so good to see what you are using.

I notice over standard you have a large increase in track on the front ~ 20mm, but at the rear ~ 9mm.

Any reason for having more track on the front? I would have thought a little wider track at the back would be good?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Really nice photos of a beautiful car. We need photos of the beautiful owner of the car, not her husband!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for posting, very nice looking track set up!

Is the -2.5° Camber front & rear much different from stock?

I'm also looking at wheel/tire and girodisc upgrade so good to see what you are using.

I notice over standard you have a large increase in track on the front ~ 20mm, but at the rear ~ 9mm.

Any reason for having more track on the front? I would have thought a little wider track at the back would be good?

The Stock set up is approx. 1.3 degrees. The reason I needed more is because I chewed up the outside edge of the brand new stock tires after one track day. The extra track on the front end helps on corner exit under power. The back end rotates nicely with this set up. As for the brakes, they made a huge difference. I am thinking of going to the DT60 instead of the DT70 because the DT60's initial bite is so strong and it's very tricky to get on the brakes without upsetting the suspension. I have to be very delicate with initial foot pressure. I will say, there is very minimal squealing on and off the track with this set up compared to other track pads I have used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts