Are you an auto enthusiast trapped in the body of a Project Manager who works on boring cogs and widgets all day? Do you wish you could use your skills to make race cars go faster instead? Have you been waiting for the right opportunity to align your career with your passion and hobby? If so, now’s your chance.
APEX is looking for the right individual to be our Engineering Project Manager to organize the development of all our new race wheel projects. In addition to our existing line of flow formed wheels, we recently unveiled our new fully forged wheels. Our desire to offer more designs cater to more vehicle applications, and to work with more suppliers means we need a dedicated individual to keep projects flowing smoothly while our other engineers focus on modeling and FEA. At any given moment there will be many projects in various phases of development. With your help, we can keep track of every to-do item and have a better overall view of what’s going on.
You would work directly with our Project Lead Engineer, Product Development Engineer, and supplier’s engineers. You would also be the primary contact point for our other departments, working closely with Sales and Marketing as needed. As the engineering team continues to expand, this role has the opportunity to become our dedicated Program Manager.
To be successful, you need an engineering background and know-how to navigate 2D/3D models in SolidWorks, but the skills that really matter most are your organizational, communication, and critical thinking skills. We need to see a history of exceptional organization to know you can help us achieve our goals. With all the different parties you’ll be interacting with, your written and verbal communications will make or break your effectiveness. Because you’d be representing the Engineering team in many group discussions, your ability to think many steps ahead, and to ask the right questions will make a big difference in how much value you bring to each project.
The hardest part of your job will be overcoming language and cultural barriers with some of our overseas suppliers. Our largest suppliers are organized, professional, and easier to work with. Our smaller suppliers lack well spoken and experienced representatives, which results in disorganization, mistakes, and delays. Success in this role is much more heavily weighted towards project management and communication skills vs. CAD skills for this reason.
Our Engineering Project Manager is:
- A college graduate, preferably with a degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3+ years of Program or Project Management experience
- Proficient in engineering software such as SolidWorks etc.
- Experienced with communicating with overseas suppliers
- Ideally fluent in Mandarin Chinese, but we will consider exceptional people who have solutions to overcome language barriers
- Ideally experienced with CAM but not required
- Available for travel to our overseas manufacturing suppliers (rarely needed)
- Is comfortable working in a small business environment
- An avid car enthusiast with a passion for the industry
- Organize all projects within the engineering department
- Act as engineering liaison to all other departments
- Oversee all communication with suppliers
- Maintain a product development roadmap
- Manage market research documents
- Conduct ROI, Bandwidth, cost, pricing... analysis
- Manage product requirement documents
- Assist Production Manager with forecasting for new products
- Oversee quality control issues from recognition to solution
- Select and administrate all Project Management tools and systems
- Communicate with suppliers
- Full-time position with $90-$150k salary depending on experience
- Medical benefits package
- Vacation and holiday pay
- Access to our full shop with lift and tools to work on your car
- Drive and participate in the build of our race car for employees (Spec E46)
- Work in your underwear - occasional telecommuting supported
- Support your track addiction with reimbursements for HPDE and autocross event registration fees
- Eligibility for the SEMA college grant and loan forgiveness program
- Casual dress environment where T-shirts and jeans are welcome
- Get employee discounts and freebies on APEX products and schwag
- Participate in company activities including karting, BBQ’s and VR racing
To apply, respond to this posting by email with a copy of your resume and a cover letter sent to [email protected]. In your cover letter, please give us some background details on the type of car enthusiast you are.
Do NOT contact us directly by phone or in person. All applicants must apply via email to be considered.
APEX is an equal opportunity employer.
Who are we?
APEX Race Parts is a close-knit team with a burning passion for anything with 4 wheels that can set a lap time on a race track. We’ve been in business since 2007 and our core competency is lightweight performance wheels. The growth of our team and the maturing of our company has opened a new chapter where we expand into every active enthusiast community that attends track days.