Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm waiting on the arrival of a new Cayman S in January... so like every other day i've watched about 20 YouTube videos about the Cayman S.

One thing i am starting to notices is the huge difference in times quoted for 0-60

One video review stated 4.0 seconds, another 4.2... 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8

Does anyone know what the correct 0-60 times is (i presume with launch control)?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
There is no "correct" 0-60 time. As has been discussed in other threads recently, 0-60 times are largely irrelevant snippets of advertising fodder.

0-60 times of the same exact vehicle can vary hugely depending on traction, driver weight, driver technique, tire temperature, tire pressure, engine oil temperature, coolant temperature, gearbox oil temperature, ambient temperature, humidity, elevation, fuel tank level, and the equipment used to measure it, to name a few variables.

I can produce 0-60 times of less than three seconds on my little 40 mpg two-seater commuter, but 99% of the general population would have an extremely hard time doing any better than six seconds on the same vehicle.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, PDK

Yes I know they can all vary, but they still have an 'official' 0-60 time... but what is it?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
are you asking for the number that Porsche uses in its advertising literature?

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I can produce 0-60 times of less than three seconds on my little 40 mpg two-seater commuter, but 99% of the general population would have an extremely hard time doing any better than six seconds on the same vehicle.
Really, faster than a 911 Turbo you say? :burnout:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Really, faster than a 911 Turbo you say? :burnout:
Quite handily...

Here's a video of the most pissed-off 911 ever produced by Porsche, the 620-horsepower 911 GT2 RS lightweight, on a drag strip prepared to give it the maximum amount of traction possible, against a 40 mpg commuter that's slower than mine.

Fast forward to about nine minutes for the actual race:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Official 0-60: 4.7 (MT), 4.6 (PDK), 4.4 (PDK w/Sports+)

PAG published numbers are widely considered slightly conservative, much like with their horsepower claims. Indeed, most of the car magazine have lower times for the Cayman S and one of the magazines claimed a 0-60 time of 4.0 (PDK w/Sport+), though that seems like a bit of a stretch.

·
Banned
550 Posts
The magazines pretty much all use a 1-foot rollout for 0-60 times, which chops off about 0.3s. When you take that into consideration, the numbers are pretty consistent. For instance, Car & Driver says the Cayman S with PDK does 0-60 in 4.1s, Porsche says 4.4s. C&D says the 918 Spyder does 0-60 in 2.2s, Porsche says 2.5s. C&D says the 991 GT3 does 0-60 in 3.0s, Porsche says 3.3s. Etc. etc.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
...and they're still irrelevant and vary hugely...

·
Banned
550 Posts
I don't know about that. For most people looking to buy a sports car, the acceleration times are very relevant. For instance, what are the differences between a base 981 and 981S? About the only difference is the acceleration (and eventual top speed) since the two cars are essentially identical aside from the engines (yes, I know the S has slightly larger brakes). If you were driving, say, a Honda Accord V6, and wanted to get a sports car that was faster, and you got a base 981 without looking at the numbers, you might be disappointed if acceleration was important since they have similar 0-60 times. So the step up (for you) might be the 981S, or some other car altogether, depending on how much faster you wanted.

Another good example is if you already had a Porsche (of some ilk) and you wanted a faster Porsche, you could take your car's times (from Porsche) and compare it to other times (from Porsche). I'm willing to bet Porsche's numbers are an accurate measurement of relative performance between the cars.

The key, and you alluded to this, is to make sure your results come from the same source under the same conditions. This is something the magazines do pretty well (at least the major three: R&T, Car and Driver, and Motor Trend). If you compare Car and Driver with its professional driver, tens of thousands of dollars of test equipment, and ideal conditions to the guy from the other 0-60 thread that gets 10 seconds in a BRZ, then yea, they vary, but that is not a valid comparison.

I will acquiesce that once you start approaching 3.X-second 0-60, the times become less of a determining factor since that sort of speed is hard to (legally) exploit in day-to-day usage, and the cars in that range usually have significant other differences (cosmetic, handling characteristics, etc.) that will be more important than simple bragging rights. But I still think the information is valuable to a certain degree.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would completely disagree from my own preferences.

If the Cayman S 0-60 was over 5.0 seconds i would not have ordered one.

0-60 is one of the first things i look at when reviewing a car, then the BHP... and so on.

No... i don't ever need to get to 60 in 4.5 seconds... but i think the 0-60 figure tells a bigger story about a car IMO.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Porsche website lists MT and PDK times under 'Technical Specifications' for each model.
Used for comparison purposes, its; the best data base.-Richard

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Porsche published 0-60 times are met or slightly exceeded. Just look at the specs on the site.

They are all fast... also only expensive high CC sport bikes are faster... normal 'commuter bikes' or 'cruisers' are 6+ sec to 60.

If you look at videos, they will vary based on how they did the tests. A slight uphill is enough to make you .5 sec slower. Bad gas will definitely reduce performance. Traction will be a huge factor. Weather matters.

Regardless, under a mix of these conditions these cars do perform per spec, but an extreme can make you faster or slower. Some have got near 4 sec in an S model under ideal 'drag strip' conditions. Realistically you're looking at about 4-5 for S and the base is 5-6.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quite handily...

Here's a video of the most pissed-off 911 ever produced by Porsche, the 620-horsepower 911 GT2 RS lightweight, on a drag strip prepared to give it the maximum amount of traction possible, against a 40 mpg commuter that's slower than mine.

Fast forward to about nine minutes for the actual race:
Wonder how that bike would fare against a top fuel dragster? :)

From Reddit...
Lets say the you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin turbo-powered Corvette Z06.
Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass by it. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. Just as you pass the Top Fuel Dragster the 'tree' goes green for both of you.
The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within three seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it---from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH and not only caught you, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320-foot-long race!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would completely disagree from my own preferences.

If the Cayman S 0-60 was over 5.0 seconds i would not have ordered one.

0-60 is one of the first things i look at when reviewing a car, then the BHP... and so on.

No... i don't ever need to get to 60 in 4.5 seconds... but i think the 0-60 figure tells a bigger story about a car IMO.
I agree that it is a good comparison spec, but it is also a range, usually about 0.4 seconds, for all cars.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts