Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an '06 Boxster S (987.1) and noticed a leak of some sort when doing my oil change the other day. I could not figure out where the source was until I removed the rear wheel. This is the passenger side rear. You can make out part of the CV boot in the attached picture. The fluid is rustic in color. Is this part of the coolant plumbing or ? Also, is this easy to repair/replace? In looking at it, it looks impossible to get to from the bottom. I've done the oil/air seperator from top but I can't recall if I saw this particular assembly or not. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
It doesnt look wet in the pic. But it does look like a sloppy sealant job on that connection. It looks too small for a coolant line. Probably oil related or possibly AC.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It doesnt look wet in the pic. But it does look like a sloppy sealant job on that connection. It looks too small for a coolant line. Probably oil related or possibly AC.
I agree, I don't think it's a leak. My first thought was also A/C.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
It looks like Pentosin (coolant) residue to me. Small leaks get crusty like that over time.
+1. When Porsche coolant (Pentosin) dries/evaporates it leaves a pink residue, just like in your photo.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all! I failed to mention that I noticed that there was a definite leak when changing my oil. See attached. The fluid was more rust looking but this could just simply be the dirt mixing in with the coolant. I was hoping to tackle this one myself but will likely let an independent here in SoCal deal with. Again, thanks for all the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
What type of transmission do you have? I don't see a shifter cable - and didn't recall seeing a fluid hard pipe routed in that area when I replaced my clutch. If non-manual, probably something related to the trans.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
+1. The tiptronic is connected to the cooling system. You need to follow up on this and fix the leak. Look in the PET parts catalog to see what parts are involved or talk to Suncoast, they can tell you what you might be up against.

Good Luck,

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts