Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying an 06 Boxster S ( have an 03 S ). Should I go with 18" or 19" wheels? My current 03 car has a fairly stiff ride on 18" wheels and I'm concerned that if I go to 19" wheels with the 06, it will cross the line into the unpleasant realm. Any opinions?

Futhermore, I'm considering the Victor Zehn wheels. Any opinions on those compared to stock wheels?

·
Registered
146 Posts
The 06 should come with 18 inch as stock, so you can try them out before deciding to do anything different. My 05 came with the 18 inch "S" wheels and I do not think they are harsh at all. I use mine as a daily driver. I cannot comment on what a 19 inch will feel like. Biggest downside to the 19's will be the additional expense of the tires.

If you search the forums here you will find comments on the VE wheels. From what I recall, folks thought quality was good, but they will weigh a little more than the OEMs.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
My 07 CS came with 19" rims. I replaced the rims with 18" and I would say the ride is less stiff. Not a huge difference but a noticeable one.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Note that the 986 ('03) cars had smaller OD tires than the 987 ('05+). Therefore, 19" wheels on a 987 is similar to 18" wheels on a 986 in terms of sidewall height. Agree, 19" rides a little stiffer than 18" (on a 987), but not a lot. I've owned all of these combinations. Where do you live? If the roads are bad, then you may want to test drive both and/or stay away from 19s. If the roads are smooth, then IMHO 19s are no problem. Also IMHO, None of these cars ride like a luxury cruiser - no matter what diameter wheels - they are sports cars after all. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts