Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at an 06 Cayman S that a family friend is selling. The car only has 800 miles and I don't think the oil has ever been changed. I know the first thing I would do is change the oil if I bought it. I was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or look for when looking at it? Would the original oil scare anybody from buying it.

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am going to look at an 06 Cayman S that a family friend is selling. The car only has 800 miles and I don't think the oil has ever been changed. I know the first thing I would do is change the oil if I bought it. I was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or look for when looking at it? Would the original oil scare anybody from buying it.

Thanks, Kevin
Only 800 miles...what a waste. With only 800 miles in 4-5 years I would imagine it sat for extended periods of time which is not good for the engine and can cause seals to dry out. It should be about out of warranty even though no engine work would have been covered anyway since you must get it changed every (i think it is) 12000 miles or annually...whichever comes first. I am always confused why people buy a car and don't even get it past the break in miles. I understand keeping the miles low if you want to collect it and treat it as an investment...but you don't even get to exp the car until after break in. The tires could also start to show dry rot at this time depending on climate and storage methods.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
'06 Cayman oil changes are every 20,000 miles.

I woud worry about the battery and the tires as mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Check all fluids. Look at all rubber, coat with formula 303 rubber protector, and most likely change the tires.

I would ask if he only did short trips, if so I would be a little worried about moisture in the oil.

My guess is the car was garaged.

Your friend has taken a hugue depreciation hit. Probably in the order of $40.00 to $45.00 a mile. Ouch!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Flush the brake/clutch fluid (they share the reservoir) completely, as it will have picked up a lot of moisture in four years. The tires will likely be OK, except for some loss of grip - although I'd check them carefully for cracking, and flat spotting if it has been sitting a REALLY long time without moving.

I'd have a PPI done, just to make sure there is nothing failed/deteriorated due to inactivity (seals, mostly.)

Probably a great car, as it is basically a new car at half price.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Any idea of what the car is worth? Thanks
You can try KBB and there is another site that reports recent transaction for used cars (sort of like pulling comps on a house). You would need a full list of all the options, maintenance records, to make an educated guess at what to offer. As they say, it is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

I would look for cars with similar options and year and get a ballpark from that...maybe add a little more money for the low miles.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Really you think its only worth 30K? All the ones I have found online with low miles have been 40k or above. I think kbb is like 35k on it.
I totally agree with the low estimates actually. Bear in mind this is an *odd* situation... Unless the low miles are a typo, I honestly would not even want that car unless if was offered at a -substantial- discount. I'd prefer buying a car that was used and did not sit. Cars don't like to sit. Think about it, an 06 was built in 05, it has basically sat for 5 years, parts did not get lubricated properly for 5 years. Worse, it ran so little that most likely it did not reach proper oil temps everytime, and nasty combustion residues never got burned properly or flushed out due to normal service/usage.

I just bought that very same model year with 28K miles for mid 30s. That's not an exceptional deal, it's fair. Some on this board bought new 08s that had sat on the lot for low 40s...

So yes, a car with suspect condition due to sitting so much is not worth "more" to me. If the owner thinks it is, it's up to you to do your due diligence with an inspection and running the car for a while, to make sure all is well. All the body/electronics are OK, I'm worried about the motor though - I'd buy that car with a "new engine" discount of $10K ! You probably need 4 "round" tires too, right off the bat ;-)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked it out last night and the car looks brand new which is what I expected. I agree that cars shouldn't sit. The tires looked fine and I saw no cracks or weathering. I know the guy selling it, so its not like he is keeping anything from me. He just didn't drive it ever. I don't want to buy it and be stuck with costly repairs. He hasn't come back with a price for me yet. How can I be safe that the car is sound? He was going to talk to his wife. Should I walk away from this car?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would want an EXTENSIVE PPI and voice your concerns about it sitting to the dealer doing the test. I would also ask the seller to split the cost of the ppi. Ask the dealer to check out the engine and anything else that could be bad from a car sitting, not getting up to temp, etc. The dealer will be more help. You could also go the third party extended warranty route...that is a controversial topic so read up and make your own decision on it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Does the dealer do a ppi? How much do they run?
Yes the dealer will do a ppi. Cost will vary by dealership and in what city you live. I would expect 300 but I would ask if they recommend any extra checks because of the lack of miles. It may cost an extra 100 but if it finds a problem that needs repaired you can walk or use that as leverage.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes the dealer will do a ppi. Cost will vary by dealership and in what city you live. I would expect 300 but I would ask if they recommend any extra checks because of the lack of miles. It may cost an extra 100 but if it finds a problem that needs repaired you can walk or use that as leverage.
This is very good advice in general, but in this particular case, a PPI is not gonna tell you much about this odd situation. Sure, if the brakes were rusted in place or the tires were square, they could tell (then again, my PPI at a dealer missed the total lack of an Air filter in the car, so!!)

It's not like they are gonna take the engine apart and check seals for cracks/dryness, or do an oil analysis or gauge how the oil has pooled to the bottom and some surfaces are currently not lubricated well, or put a camera inside the cylinders ;-) Not criticizing the PPI, it' s a great idea, but IMO you still won't have a good answer on your particular issue: how good is a car that sat for so long ? Then again, it's "probably" OK, so with a nice discount, definitely worth the risk, without, I'd be surprised if your friend manages to sell it easily !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.