Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Cayman S and the dealership has two 07's and a new 06 which they will discount $8000 my question to the group is which to buy.
I have experienced problems buying the first model year car. ( not Porsche)

Help!

·
Registered
306 Posts
From what I've heard the problems that occurred with the '06 are still around with the '07. My impression is there's very little, if any, difference. $8k should put it below MSRP, and if not, it should be.

Here's some food for thought per a prior post. Per Kelly Blue Book:‘06 Cayman S with Tip & 100 miles = Trade-in $53.6; Private party value $57.4; Suggested retail $61.2.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
You didn't state MSRP of the 06. Stating a discount without stating the MSRP isn't very valuable. For the 06, don't pay more than invoice or thereabouts.

07 adds front spoiler lip in body color and standard TPMS.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
The 06 was awarded the title of "World Performance Car of the Year". The 07 wasn't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry that should have been TPMS and the MSRP is $96,935 the car has leather sports seats,tiptronic s, heated front seats, sports stearing whell, bose sound sport chrono w/out PCM, front spoiler lip ext. color, floor mats and Xenon lights.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
sorry that should have been TPMS and the MSRP is $96,935 the car has leather sports seats,tiptronic s, heated front seats, sports stearing whell, bose sound sport chrono w/out PCM, front spoiler lip ext. color, floor mats and Xenon lights.
TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System

$8000 off an MSRP of $96,935 represents an 8.25% discount which is quite good considering deals others have posted.

EDIT: 8.25% discount is quite good for an 07. 06's should be had at invoice or less.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am looking to buy a Cayman S and the dealership has two 07's and a new 06 which they will discount $8000 my question to the group is which to buy.
I have experienced problems buying the first model year car. ( not Porsche)

Help!
Buy the 06, but you can do a lot better than $8,000 off. Which city are you in? If you are in Toronto, PM me and I can drop you a name of the guy I dealt with.

As for 1st year problems, I had none. And this is my second MY06 CS.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Last month I'm pretty sure dealers had over a $1,000 of kickback on the 2006's, this month it's probably more. I was offered a guards red '06 at under invoice by my dealer but I opted for an '07. Buy the '06 at not a cent over invoice because you have to realize it's calendar year 2007 and the trade on in it is already a couple grand under invoice and the dealer is in a desperate situation because he is paying taxes and interest on it, otherwise, go for the 2007.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
I would grind them on the 06 until they let you leave.

If you tried to trade that 06 in on an 07 they would do the same to you.

It is MARCH 2007. They have been trying to blow out the 06 cars for at leat 4 or 5 months. You can get 8 percent of MSRP on a NEW 2007.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I live in Calgary. I have an 06 Cayman S and have had both cat's replaced at different times twice. I have also had a real problem with the air conditioner with a leak. My service here has been great, but we're still having trouble finding a rear vibrations that is occuring as I decelerate to about 45-50km in third or second gear. If money's not an issue, I'd get an 07, as the 8K won't even cover the depreciation of the year. Having said that, dealers in Canada tend to not discount their cars very much at all (maybe 3%) because they don't have to; we get very little cars compared to the USA.
PS I'm very happy with my car. I have almost every option that I could want. For my next porsche though, I will get full leather.
Thanks for the imput

I live in B.C. canada?
What is the spotty cat issue?
What isTPNS?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the imput

I live in B.C. canada?
What is the spotty cat issue?
What isTPNS?
Hi Mycman,

I still think you can get better than $8,000 off an 06 in BC. I got my 06 CS in early Dec 2006. Let's just say I was able to get substantially more than the $8,000 they are offering you. It's 4 months later and the MY06 you are looking at buying has depreciated more than the $8,000 they are discounting. When I was looking in Dec 06, I could have got an MY07 off the lot with a $6,000 - 8,000 discount.

IMHO, you have more room to negotiate. If you have time, just call around and pretend you are selling your MY06 CS with low mileage. Ask them how much they will give you? They will quote a wholesale price, but ask them what is a fair "retail" price to ask for if you were to sell it yourself. This should give you a sense of what the depreciation is.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts