Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently ordered from Pelican Parts replacement struts for rear hatch back but I can’t compress by hand enough to attach to ball connectors. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance...

·
Registered
877 Posts
The Cayman hatch has a "service" position that is higher than it normally goes. Just let it open to its normal position, then push it up a little higher. It will go quite a bit higher up, but you should only need a half inch or so to fit the strut. Do one side at a time, and use a broomstick to support the hatch to prevent it from falling.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I hope those lift struts are extra heavy duty. Cause the OEM aren't designed for all that weight. Even a couple pounds might affect the lift.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah, they sell heavy duty ones to use with an add-on spoiler, although I'm not sure how much added weight they can handle. If you lift the hatch to the top of the stop and they still don't fit without compressing, you may have the wrong ones.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
A couple of years ago I put a hood protector -which hardly weighs anything- in my Cayman and now the frunk will barely stay open by its self.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
A couple of years ago I put a hood protector -which hardly weighs anything- in my Cayman and now the frunk will barely stay open by its self.
after being hit on the head with the falling frunk lid, I decided I didn't need that kind of excitement in my life :)
just change it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recently ordered from Pelican Parts replacement struts for rear hatch back but I can’t compress by hand enough to attach to ball connectors. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance...
View attachment 265865
The Cayman hatch has a "service" position that is higher than it normally goes. Just let it open to its normal position, then push it up a little higher. It will go quite a bit higher up, but you should only need a half inch or so to fit the strut. Do one side at a time, and use a broomstick to support the hatch to prevent it from falling.

10/10/19
View attachment 265865
RacerGreg is correct, I did not realize that one can extend the rear hatch back considerably more once the old struts have been removed... I did end up ordering the heavy duty Stabillas struts from pelican instead of the OEM pops open and lifts up effortlessly now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts