Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking at a cayman S it has about 80,000 miles on it the dealer wants 21k. I saw that carfax doesn't show any major services done so I'm assuming it needs the 80k full service. How much will that be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It can vary wildly. The things that are definitely done are oil change, air & cabin filter change, brake fluid flush. Things that might need to be done are spark plugs & drive belt. Then they inspect the whole car and may find other things that need replacing, like brakes, clutch, which can be pricey. As I recall, my 40k major service was around $2k, largely driven by replacement of rotors and pads, front and rear.

·
Registered
574 Posts
To be thorough, and if it cannot be ascertained that it has ever been done before, you may throw in a water pump change.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just bought an '06 Cayman S with 42,000 miles. After purchase, between the CarFax and a stack of receipts, I was fortunate to be able to assemble a complete service history except for the initial 4 years or so (i.e. warranty period). The 40k service (same as 60k and 80k ROUTINE services as I recall) was done by the shop that did the PPI so I was lucky.

The CarFax indicated original delivery from a dealer in Montgomery AL. I called the dealer's service department and they were able to give me service records for that period. It appears that some Porsche dealers, at least back in that period, did not provide reports of services done to CarFax or AutoCheck. Plus I was able to get additional detail from another service provider where the item listed was "car serviced". So it may be worth a phone call.

BTW, the tab for the major service at an independent shop in Orlando was $1154, which included oil/filter, air filter, cabin air filter, serpentine belt, plugs AND coils. Coils were $300 of that total. As long as engine cover is off for serpentine belt inspection/replacement, preventive water pump replacement would be cost effective.

Best of luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.