Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I am a new member, and am immensely grateful for the wealth of information on this Forum as I decide whether to buy a 2002-2004 3.6L 996 Carrera, or a 2007 Cayman S as my first P car. I have lusted for a 911 since the age of 12, but am most impressed with the Cayman S since it has been introduced. I have not driven a 996 yet, but was able to drive a 2007 Cayman 5 speed today (not a Cayman S). The same dealer had a 2007 Carrera S that I was able to sit in.

First, I think it is rubbish to say that a Cayman is not a real Porsche. Looking at it next to the Carrera the heritage is obvious. Stylistically, I think it is a credit to the marque.

I am 48 years old, and my daily driver is a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram with a Cummins diesel. I am 6' tall, 200 pounds, and was hoping that getting in and out of the Cayman or the Carrera would be reasonable. I got in and out of both cars multiple times today, and it was okay, for what the car is. I actually slightly preferred the Cayman: plant left hand on the door sill; pivot; right hand up; and punch yourself up and out. No worse than a C6 Z06 I sat in awhile back, and that car had much, much bigger doors.

I liked the visibility from the driver's seat better in the Cayman than in the Carrera. Also, I will be regularly using the car for daily commuting to work, and the Cayman won here: pop the rear hatch with the remote, and in goes my briefcase and lunch. In the Carrera, the logical thing to do is tilt the driver's seat forward, dump everything back there, then fish around to retrieve it later while bent over in an awkward position.

I found the seats plenty comfortable, and I wear a size 48 suit coat. The Carrera seats didn't seem any better to me.

The sound of the Cayman was absolutely phenomenal: mechanical; free revving; guttural; distinctly Porsche. Loved it. Transmission shifted great, and car handled beautifully in a limited test drive. I do think that Cayman S power is required, for me at least, for the car to come alive. (Also, I've waited a long time, and want the souped up one...)

Overall, I came away very, very impressed with the Cayman. While the Carrera was truly impressive, the Cayman did not disappoint me in any way at all. The Cayman struck me as an exceptionally pure execution of a high performance sports car: lean; light; athletic. It was thrilling to drive.

Dollar for dollar, a 2002-2004 996 with the 3.6 motor is a logical alternative for those also considering a Carrera. I'm not sure I am considering a Carrera anymore!!!!

Anyway, thanks to the members of this Forum. I hope to be able to score a dark colored Cayman S in the winter months of 2010......

Best regards to all - Mawgie

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
For me it took only a test drive in both the 997S and CS to make up my mind. The 997S rear weight bias felt strange to me since I never drove one before. It has a heavy rear end and going around corners really brings this out. The CS is so neutral and for some reason I felt more connected to the road. I think Porsche picked the best parts of the 911 and eliminated some of the weaknesses and came up with the CS. I only wished that Porsche wouldn't dumb down the Cayman.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have not driven a 996 yet, but was able to drive a 2007 Cayman 5 speed today (not a Cayman S).

I liked the visibility from the driver's seat better in the Cayman than in the Carrera.

I found the seats plenty comfortable, and I wear a size 48 suit coat. The Carrera seats didn't seem any better to me.

Dollar for dollar, a 2002-2004 996 with the 3.6 motor is a logical alternative for those also considering a Carrera. I'm not sure I am considering a Carrera anymore!!!!
Mawgie,

Where in Upstate NY are you? I used to work in Syracuse for 4 years.

The interior dimensions of the Cayman and the Carrera are almost identical (width, seats, etc), you get 2 cms more headroom in the Carrera.

I recently drove the Carrera (non-S) and was not blown away by its handling, to me the Cayman feels much more connected to the road. Its steering feel is unbelievable. Although the Carrera is only 100 lbs heavier, it felt much more to me. It just did not want to change directions the way the Cayman did. Guess which one I ordered...

All the best,

Tamas

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I think I've heard this conversation before.........Oh yeah in my head.:hilarious:
Great post!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for responding, folks, especially since I am a lowly one post newbie wannabe (for now....)

The lasting impression of the car is one of balance and proportion: all the handling you want; all/most of the acceleration you want; and all the brakes you need, wrapped in an elegant, svelte, purpose built package.

In my opinion, and many others on this Forum, the rear quarter view that includes a good look at the sloping roofline is about as good as it gets. Fluid, purposeful, aerodynamic, and something different from the Carrera's booty.

This car is worthy of the marque. I'm freaking smitten!

-Mawgie:dance:

·
Registered
570 Posts
First off welcome. I would still suggest a back to back test drive if at all possible. The choice between a 911 and a Cayman (or any car for that matter) is very personal. I don't think either one is "wrong", just a matter of what stirs YOUR soul.

That said, I went through this the first time about 3 years ago. I had always wanted a 911 and ended up with a 2005 997 C2S convertible. While it was a fantastic car, the rear weight bias always felt a little weird to me. I only kept the car a short time and sold it; went through one more car and finally came back to the car I'd wanted in the first place: the Cayman S. I really love this car and have found it an incredible balance between street car and track performer. It does both very well. Best of luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Thanks for responding, folks, especially since I am a lowly one post newbie wannabe (for now....)

The lasting impression of the car is one of balance and proportion: all the handling you want; all/most of the acceleration you want; and all the brakes you need, wrapped in an elegant, svelte, purpose built package.

In my opinion, and many others on this Forum, the rear quarter view that includes a good look at the sloping roofline is about as good as it gets. Fluid, purposeful, aerodynamic, and something different from the Carrera's booty.

This car is worthy of the marque. I'm freaking smitten!

-Mawgie:dance:
The important things IMHO. Welcome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Another soon to be Cayman owner. Congrats! Hangout on the forums and read. This is an incredible group that knows the Cayman very well. I learn daily from these folks.

As for daily driving and comfort, I drive mine as much as I can at least 3 times a week and sometimes a 300 mile round trip for work down the Turner turnpike. I am 6'2" and weight 210. I have no problem with legs or back at all after a long-ish trip. Getting in and out is easy as well.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I always thought I wanted a 911 as well...until I saw a Cayman for the first time. After some research, a couple test drives (including both a 996 and 997) I knew the Cayman was for me. Conduct your due diligence and make the right decision for you. Honestly, how can you go wrong?
Good Luck,
BW

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've had 911's in the past and I was looking at an 07 Carrera S before I purchased the Cayman S. I finally decided that I didn't need the extra room in the Carrera and decided to buy new. I don't regret it a bit.

I had an 02 996 with aero kit in black and I would not even think of getting it over the Cayman.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your choice! :burnout:Both the 996 and Cayman S are awesome cars. My advise to you would be to buy the car that gets your heart racing the most and makes you the most excited to clock out of work and hit the open road! Once again good luck with your choice and post some pics when you get it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.