Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy coming from the Rennlist 928 world. Made a deal for my cobalt base tiptronic recently. I know people frown on the tips. So far so good and still fun to drive in manual. Low miles, spent its life in the Virginia/Pennsylvania areas from what I can find. 32k miles. Still in the honeymoon phase but I love everything about it so far. Have carnewal on the way to me, installed RGS side grills last night (and ripped out restricter), hopefully fronts tonight. Fresh oil, all filters, coil packs and plugs.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
looking good there... enjoy in good health! :)

looks like you've prepared for the mods. any further plans for the car?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, nothing else planned right now other than making it sound maybe a little deeper with the carnewal. The sprint booster looks interesting

·
Registered
93 Posts
The sprint booster looks interesting
The sprint booster just tells the DME that you've pressed the throttle further than you physically have. With the 2.7 engine, you probably don't need it; as you'll spend most of your time at 100% throttle anyhow. 🤣

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey! Yes I would like an extra 30-40hp of low end grunt, but when In tip mode the little 2.7 is pretty impressive and snappy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting to see the very little gains people seem to get spending $1,000 on these. I just can’t justify it unless the difference is really noticeable. The carnewal was a good deal as I found an OEM exhaust to send them for only a few hundred. The softronic tune seems like one of the more cost effective HP gains but I’m ok with what it is right now. Coming from my 928 this feels like it weighs about 500lbs and plenty fast. Not as plush but man does it handle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an 07 base 5MT in the same color. It's a pretty little bastard! Mine had clear side markers put on the front end at some point (likely during a collision repair), but aside from that and the wheels they could be twins! Enjoy yours tremendously - it may not be the fastest car in the world, but damn is it fun on winding backroads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I actually put clear markers on last night but now need some amber lamps. I have some Carrera III’s in 18” but not positive if the offsets, etc will work, don’t know these well enough yet. They’re nice but not perfect, and the OEM are actually almost perfect so I’ll probably leave them for now. My favorite color by far..

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i love the color. Let us know the Carrera III's offset, most likely you will just need some wheel spacers to get the wheels to fit. I use wheels spacers on three different sets of wheels to get a flush look and widen the track. Thanks for posting your pictures.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
C3’s are 18x8, 18x10, offsets were 57mm and 58mm if I remember correct. Five spoke, bought them for my 928. They look great on 928’s. I see some caymans with some five spoke that look very similar but with more ridges (sorry I’m ignorant to the style/name). The pic aren’t mine but same model (997).

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
57 with a 10mm spacer front give a offset of 47 perfect. 58 rear offset with a 23 mm spacer gives a final offset of 35, perfect. ECS makes great spacers and lug bolts to fit that size spacer. I currently have four sets, 5mm, 10mm, 18mm and 23 mm. to go with three different wheels sets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the info, my OEM rims are near perfect and the tires are very good so for now I’ll probably leave them and maybe get the Carrera threes refinished For the future

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
55 Posts
Congrats. That's a awesome color. I had to keep light colors on my want list, as I spend a lot of summer time in AZ.

The 2.7L is nothing to scoff at. At my age, I'm more into fuel economy than monster performance, and was looking for a base model, but an 'S' model jumped up and bit me for a price I couldn't refuse. Even a 2.7L is quicker/faster than any of my other 'G' cars ('66 912 1.7L, '70 Ghia 1.6L & a '71 914 2.0L) ... lol

Enjoy it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know the 928’s have a handful of very good vendors and I see these have some as well. Can anyone throw a few of the more preferred guys for typical wear parts, etc? I see suncoast mentioned a lot and also know pelican a bit. Hope everyone is gets some miles in this weekend!

·
Registered
48 Posts
know the 928’s have a handful of very good vendors and I see these have some as well. Can anyone throw a few of the more preferred guys for typical wear parts, etc? I see suncoast mentioned a lot and also know pelican a bit. Hope everyone is gets some miles in this weekend!
FCPEuro is another. They apparently used to have some issues with not disclosing whether parts were OE or aftermarket, but that has changed. I ordered my (OEM) replacement AOS from them, was a decent experience. I haven't used it yet, but they offer a full-replacement warranty on damn near everything. I'm curious how it'll go when this one fails - you do have to buy the replacement first before they process the return and refund you.

I've not ordered from either Pelican or Suncoast yet, simply because I've only had one part fail and took a chance on FCP. I'm due for spark plugs, and may end up doing coil packs as well depending on what state they're in. Will try one of those two for that order.

Good weather here this weekend, I may take mine on the scenic route to the hardware store later :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great looking car ! I have 08 cayman 2.7 Auto and I love it ( I was told recently there is no such thing as a Cayman Base lol )
I do read a lot on the internet that you should get the S model and it needs to be standard etc etc . I’m totally satisfied with my choice and you are going to be happy with yours !!!! Have fun driving it !!! It’s beautiful !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts