Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, thanks for reading. Always wanted a sporty red car. A friend has an 08 Cayman in mint condition, 34-k miles asking $25,500.00. Just would be a Sunday drive car for me. Good purchase or stay away? Thanks for any and all input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a base Cayman or S? Does it have all the maintenance records? Any idea of what options are on it?
It is a base Cayman. I have most of the records and I have the opportunity to take to the local Porsche dealer to have it gone over before I decide to buy. I am not sure what options. Are you thinking maybe the price is too high?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You describe it as mint. If it really is mint, and with that low mileage, and the fact that it has a very very reliable motor amongst that generation, then I don't feel the price is out of line.

Note though that although "Base" VS "S" is almost always the only trim-level discussed as a differentiator on these cars, it sometimes is overlooked that a Base model can often be well-optioned and the S be less optioned relatively, and thus the gap between them not nearly as much as assumed.

A well optioned Base can be a fantastic value equation, is my point. A low mileage mint Base is already a potential sweet deal.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You describe it as mint. If it really is mint, and with that low mileage, and the fact that it has a very very reliable motor amongst that generation, then I don't feel the price is out of line.

Note though that although "Base" VS "S" is almost always the only trim-level discussed as a differentiator on these cars, it sometimes is overlooked that a Base model can often be well-optioned and the S be less optioned relatively, and thus the gap between them not nearly as much as assumed.

A well optioned Base can be a fantastic value equation, is my point. A low mileage mint Base is already a potential sweet deal.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I've had my 2008 base Cayman since 2009 and still love it every bit as much as I did when I first bought it. I currently have 56,000 miles on it and other than a new headliner, have only had to do regular maintenance. And I'll own it until they wheel me out of here on a gurney. They are as reliable a model as you can buy, and the price seems reasonable. Buy it and enjoy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had my 2008 base Cayman since 2009 and still love it every bit as much as I did when I first bought it. I currently have 56,000 miles on it and other than a new headliner, have only had to do regular maintenance. And I'll own it until they wheel me out of here on a gurney. They are as reliable a model as you can buy, and the price seems reasonable. Buy it and enjoy.
You aren't going to find a better review of your neighbors make/model than this! ^^^

I waited until I was 63 to fetch my first Porsche. Not because I didn't secretly want a Porsche all my life, but because I wasn't educated about the myths/truths about them.

Armed with this brave new information rich world, (things like this very thread are an example) I snagged a nice safe entry-level Porsche 987.1 low mileage Boxster Base. Fairly well optioned too. At an astounding low co$t.

Sorted a few minor issues that are common on the 15 year old beauty and now pinch myself on occasion as I shift from 2nd to 3rd just short of the Rev limiter.

I really should have done this much sooner. :)
Better late than never, as they say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Budman, great to hear your input. Are you ok with the value of the one I am looking at at 25.5-k? It is local, so no shipping and they will take another car of mine on trade to low sales tax.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Thanks Budman, great to hear your input. Are you ok with the value of the one I am looking at at 25.5-k? It is local, so no shipping and they will take another car of mine on trade to low sales tax.
I think that price is fine. If I were to sell mine, which I can't imagine, I would be in that same range, maybe 5% or so lower, but then I have more miles on mine. Do it. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Jericho: The first owner (someone you know who took care of the car) took the financial hit. A Porsche is an investment in years of enjoyment, it's an intangible in terms of how it makes you feel it's not a stock or metals (both of which in my life are down) Lastly, as my friend said to me pre Spyder "you spend a long time in the dirt Tone"..... yep.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Really well maintained Base Cayman, although admittedly a 2009 987.2, but you can see what the current climate for 987's are pulling.

This car was well known on the forum and the mileage is considerably more than your neighbors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really well maintained Base Cayman, although admittedly a 2009 987.2, but you can see what the current climate for 987's are pulling.

This car was well known on the forum and the mileage is considerably more than your neighbors

That is a nice one. I bought the car I was asking about. Will pick it up next week. All the input was super helpful, thank you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts