Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interestingly... when the car is at cold start, it starts up fine. Vroom~
Now, let's say I am making a few short trips around neighbor hood. A few miles drive stop by at coffee shop, hardware store, grocery shop than back home. At least one time, starter would crank a bit then crank stops while key is still at ignition. Next trial, it won't start unless I give little push on gas paddle and car runs perfectly fine!

Would it be battery problem? I mean... I don't think it's battery because, if it was battery, it should have problem when it's cold start when engine didn't run and battery didn't get fresh charge.

What could be the problem source? Still battery or something else? =/

Much appreciated with replies. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
It's been reported in the past that when a "hot" car won't start but a cold one will, that quite often it's the temperature sensor in the engine. When it fails or starts to fail the air/fuel mixture gets screwed up because the engine might think it's cold when it is fact hot, therefore sending the wrong mixture, then becoming difficult to start. That's the first thing I'd have checked. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I agree with Budman. The temp sensor went out on my Boxster and had the same symptoms - tough starting when warm. When it finally gave up the ghost, I got a light on my display of a thermometer above a couple waves of water.

It's not a hard job replacing it, just have to be careful not to break any clips getting it out. I bought the sensor from the dealer and paid $50. Then I saw it on Pelican for 1/2 that. So if you're a bit mechanical, it's a job you can handle. Take out the front panel to the engine and it's on the driver's side.

I think the starter kicks off after a period of time trying unsuccessfully.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
delsol7,
You might check the junction block that feeds +12 V DC to the starter. It is on the right side of the engine forward. I think there may have been some type of service campaign on it. Also check your negative battery lead where it attaches to the body ground stud. There have been reports of corrosion there.

Failing that it could be the ignition switch or starter. You can isolate that by operating the starter solenoid directly with 12 V DC to see if it works.

Good Luck,

Rob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Budman. The temp sensor went out on my Boxster and had the same symptoms - tough starting when warm. When it finally gave up the ghost, I got a light on my display of a thermometer above a couple waves of water.

It's not a hard job replacing it, just have to be careful not to break any clips getting it out. I bought the sensor from the dealer and paid $50. Then I saw it on Pelican for 1/2 that. So if you're a bit mechanical, it's a job you can handle. Take out the front panel to the engine and it's on the driver's side.

I think the starter kicks off after a period of time trying unsuccessfully.
Thanks everyone. I think I will start with battery connections and then work toward temp sensor.

Husker, are you referring to this? Porsche Cayman (2006-2012) - Cooling System Miscellaneous - Page 2

Thanks everyone! =]

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Yes, that's the varmint.

You'll need to put a pan down on the floor as you'll lose a bit of coolant. The toughest part of the job is getting the clip released allowing the sensor to slide out. I forgot the exact way to do it, but it was a pita.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that's the varmint.

You'll need to put a pan down on the floor as you'll lose a bit of coolant. The toughest part of the job is getting the clip released allowing the sensor to slide out. I forgot the exact way to do it, but it was a pita.
Is it the $18 one? or the $9 one?

Hum... seems like I would may need to refill coolant too.

Thanks for the info. =]

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I think either would work. I think the part # difference changes when they make an improvement, so the $18 one is a newer version and should theoretically be better. But the $9, $13, or $18 should work. Depends if you want OEM or not, newer version or not.

Sorry I missed your question.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
and if you have a rag to stuff in ea open end, you shouldn't lose too much coolant.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think either would work. I think the part # difference changes when they make an improvement, so the $18 one is a newer version and should theoretically be better. But the $9, $13, or $18 should work. Depends if you want OEM or not, newer version or not.

Sorry I missed your question.
Thanks!!! =]
I will probably work on it once I get the time for it! Will order the parts now.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi delsol7

I can relate to a Temp Sensor failure, my 07 CS suffered that particular pleasure.

Just for your info, I've added a couple of links to earlier Planet 9 threads that I found useful at that time - if you haven't already read them, I hope that they help.

Good Luck
Coolant Temperature Sensor/Sender replacement....
Starting Problems?
Oh!! Thanks!
Hum... seems like it's quite of work to access the temperature sensor... argh.. so far I only removed engine cover from the rear trunk. I just hope that it's as easy as that.. Your link would help me tons!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts