Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just got my 08 CS and I’m having some issues.
I had a PPI and all was good. When driving it home (sub 45F) I heard a whining noise the entire way that changed with the rpms and was loud enough to drown out the exhaust. I brought it to my mechanic and my belt was worn and idler pulley was the noise culprit. Had them replaced and the noise is better but still there. My other issue is that at low speeds 10-20mph I can hear what sounds like a clanking noise in the front. Pretty random but audible. The only thing that made any noise underneath was the right bank cat. Driving it sounds like it’s right under the drivers door or front wheel though. Have no idea where to look. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Nothing seems to be hanging or glaringly loose.
here is a video of the whine

·
Registered
3 Posts
The clanking from the front is likely to be either the tuning fork (the suspension arm that goes diagonally from the wishbone to the chassis) or a drop link (the piece that links the swaybar to the upright). Neither is a massive job by any stretch (30 minutes each assuming that no bolts are seized).

As for the PPI, I think I too would be asking for my money back. Both of these issues should have been easily diagnosed on a short test drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agree with Lenny, the clanking sound is very likely the front forward control arm (looks like a tuning fork on one end). I replaced mine a few months ago and it’s gone. The bushing wears out just enough to let it move under load. They’re $100-120 each; I used Meyle brand, which looked identical to the originals.

Can’t help with the whining sound though, sorry.

(Edit) Listened to it again and remembered our old Nissan that had its fan clutch fail (seize), it would spin the fan up and down with the throttle and the wind (whine) noise it created made that kind of sound. Another possibility could be bearings on something like the water pump. Good luck! (I think the suspension will be sorted out at least!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply’s! Driving today, I’m more convinced the clanking is coming from drivers rear down low. Sounds like a wrench that’s hanging on by a string that bumps off something metal. It doesnt seem to have a rhyme or reason for the noise. Going straight, turning left and right. Totally random. Always at low speed though.

·
Administrator
'11 Cayenne TT, '09 Boxster
856 Posts
(Edit) Listened to it again and remembered our old Nissan that had its fan clutch fail (seize), it would spin the fan up and down with the throttle and the wind (whine) noise it created made that kind of sound. Another possibility could be bearings on something like the water pump. Good luck! (I think the suspension will be sorted out at least!)
No fan clutch on a 987 since there is no engine driven fan, all fans are electrically driven and aren't related to engine speed. The two coolant fans are at the front of the car. There is also an engine compartment fan, but that doesn't come on when the car is moving. It may come on if the car is stationary and the engine is really hot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I knew it was a stretch on fan clutch, as there’s no “engine fan”, but it if it’s related to revs, it’s got to be something tied to the belt or (god help you) the engine valve train.
If the clunk is in the rear, go for the rear lower trailing control arms (two bushings on it, not the “coffin” lower control arm). Anything that clunks during low speed over bumps is likely due to something responsible for preventing “pull/push” on the suspension, if that makes sense. I’m about to change mine out, while changing the struts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew it was a stretch on fan clutch, as there’s no “engine fan”, but it if it’s related to revs, it’s got to be something tied to the belt or (god help you) the engine valve train.
If the clunk is in the rear, go for the rear lower trailing control arms (two bushings on it, not the “coffin” lower control arm). Anything that clunks during low speed over bumps is likely due to something responsible for preventing “pull/push” on the suspension, if that makes sense. I’m about to change mine out, while changing the struts.
The drive train is what worries me. No change in the whine taking off the belt and reving. Checked my power steering fluid and it’s bone dry though. Like not even a drip on the end of the stick. Could that be the culprit even though I took the belt off and the noise was the same? I get very little groaning when I turn the wheel and it doesn’t seem to change the whine noise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The drive train is what worries me. No change in the whine taking off the belt and reving. Checked my power steering fluid and it’s bone dry though. Like not even a drip on the end of the stick. Could that be the culprit even though I took the belt off and the noise was the same? I get very little groaning when I turn the wheel and it doesn’t seem to change the whine noise.
Your really need to request to get your PPI money back. I mean they missed quite a lot of basic check items like low or no power steering fluid, loose suspension issues, etc. Whatever you paid was a complete and total waste of money. Was this an established business?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your really need to request to get your PPI money back. I mean they missed quite a lot of basic check items like low or no power steering fluid, loose suspension issues, etc. Whatever you paid was a complete and total waste of money. Was this an established business?

Yes! They specialize in Porsches and were very through with a lot of other things. There was one day between when the PPI was done and I picked the car up. I called them the day after and they said there wasn’t any whine when they test drove it (2 separate techs). When I questioned the dealer, he said he didn’t hear the whine, but did hear the clunk. It sounds like something metal is hanging and hitting the frame randomly at low speed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes! They specialize in Porsches and were very through with a lot of other things. There was one day between when the PPI was done and I picked the car up. I called them the day after and they said there wasn’t any whine when they test drove it (2 separate techs). When I questioned the dealer, he said he didn’t hear the whine, but did hear the clunk. It sounds like something metal is hanging and hitting the frame randomly at low speed.
It just seems to me that basic fluid level checks and or leaks should not be missed in a PPI, that's all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It just seems to me that basic fluid level checks and or leaks should not be missed in a PPI, that's all.

I agree. Not sure how that could have fallen through the cracks. I’m pretty upset I’m A. Possibly stuck with something that needs a ton of money and work. And B. Need to spend more money to have someone else do the same job. I would take it back, but they are 2 hours away.
What’s the likelihood it’s just the low power steering level?!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree. Not sure how that could have fallen through the cracks. I’m pretty upset I’m A. Possibly stuck with something that needs a ton of money and work. And B. Need to spend more money to have someone else do the same job. I would take it back, but they are 2 hours away.
What’s the likelihood it’s just the low power steering level?!
That could be the case that the power steering fluid is just low but where did it go? Is there a leak? If so how bad is it and how did they miss it? I know one thing is that I wouldn't be taking my car there again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I was you I would contact the people you bought it from and tell them they have to give you some money back or they are going to get the piece of **** back. As far as the garage that did the Ppi I would tell them I want your money back and call the BBB and file a complaint with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
I had a contractor demand a substantial downstroke and then they never returned, this is what happened: BBB = "we create the illusion we care" but what we care about is collecting money from members to give then a pat on the head . There is little to no nexus with seeking proper restitution in the BBB business model. First approach is diplomacy but if that fails a letter to the state AG copy to vendor will get attention.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts