Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at purchasing a 987.1 CS in the near future and went to look at one today that had PASM and PSE (here)

This was the first time I've seen a car with PSE but I came away wondering if it might not be functioning correctly on the car. With PSE on or off the exhaust tone really didn't seem to change at all. I had the salesman free rev the car a bit with it on and off while I stood at the back and I couldn't tell a difference. On the highway maybe i noticed a difference above 4500rpm.

It did definitely seem louder than other Caymans I've looked at with the trapezoid exhaust.
Also, there was a definite mechanical clank every time the exhaust was turned on/off.

Basically what I'm asking is, does anyone have any experience with a 987.1 with PSE? I've found a lot of videos on youtube of 987.2s and how different it sounds but I've also read the 987.1 with PSE has a less significant change. I also thought perhaps someone had modified it to stay open at all times, but then would you still hear the clanking as it turned on/off?

Finally, on an unrelated note, do all design edition 1 cars come with PSE? I'm interested in one here but can't figure out if it has it or not. Also, if there's anyone in the Richfield, MN area that wants to check it out for me that would be amazing.

cliff notes: Should PSE on a 08 CS make a huge difference between on/off? Do all DE1 caymans have PSE? Are you near Richfield, MN?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The PSE goes back so semi-quiet mode between some 20-70km/h range. You could just buy a module from Carnewal to bypass that feature. I have it, and the PSE sound much better

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
There is a hack you can do to permanently leave the PSE on. This avoids having to activate SC during non-track use (my PSE activates when I turn on SC). Since you mention it sounds louder than a normal CS, maybe the person has done the hack.

The clunking sound you're hearing is probably the vacuum canisters being opened and closed (or not closed if the hack is done) by the PSE button.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I just retrofitted PSE mufflers onto my '06 Cayman S. I have not hooked up the vacuum lines and electronics yet, so mine is permanetly in loud mode right now. It is definately louder than the regular exhaust, but it is not a hugely dramatic difference. If you really get on the gas, you will hear the difference (or find a tunnel/overpass :D). If you are just driving slowly around town, it won't be as noticeable. If you can hear clanking when you push the button, it means the vacuum actuators are working and the valves are opening/closing in the exhaust, so it sounds like it is operating correctly on the car you looked at (i.e. not disconnected to be permanently loud). It is possible that one valve is stuck. You can check by bending down and looking at the mufflers from behind the car. You can see the vacuum actuators move when the button is pressed. There are two, one per muffler on each side of the car.

The Design Edition 1 cars did not come with PSE as standard but all Cayman S Sport cars did. You are probably already aware, but the car you posted a link to is not a Design Edition 1. It is a nicely optioned car though. I love PASM, and now PSE too. That is a very rare combo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts