Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My first post here I’m planning to purchase a 08 Boxster S with 150k miles clean title looks like new! Any feedback appreciated!
I’m planning to PPI prior to make purchase.
Anything that I need to beware?
Thank you,

Denz.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Are you going to wrench on it? Do you have the skills and facility to repair it and a DD to drive while you do? Some considerations. If you put fifty on it you're at a deuce and at that point it's likely going to need bank if not sooner. As for PPI that's fine but read Cayman 08's thread for reference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you going to wrench on it? Do you have the skills and facility to repair it and a DD to drive while you do? Some considerations. If you put fifty on it you're at a deuce and at that point it's likely going to need bank if not sooner. As for PPI that's fine but read Cayman 08's thread for reference.
Thank you!

·
Administrator
'11 Cayenne TT, '09 Boxster
856 Posts
Denz - I'm not one to discourage buying a high-mileage performance car - if you can DIY and have tools and the space to work on it. Otherwise - it might empty your bank account rather rapidly. "A cheap German used car may be the MOST expensive car you've ever owned" - and that goes double for Porsche simply because of the high parts and labor charges businesses seem to think we deserve for owning one.

These aren't troublesome cars - but you are looking at a car with a lot of miles - on everything in the car - so things are going to fail simply due to wearing out with time/miles. If you can address the maintenance items like brakes, suspension, shifter-cables, serpentine belt and idlers, etc without taking it to a dealer you'll probably be OK. If you can't DIY for these things (and many can't) finding a great independent Porsche garage is essential. A dealer will charge $500 for an oil change - 2021 718, or 2008 987 - just because it's older and worth a lot less - the service charges don't depreciate like the value. If anything they become higher since there is more to do.

I would suggest a "pre-purchase-inspection" (AKA PPI) - by that great independent shop you've found. There is no guarantee they'll find everything that's wrong or will break shortly, but they should provide you with a guide to service needs going forward and if they think it's a decent car. Lots that isn't obvious to the average buyer will be obvious to a skilled and experienced mechanic.

If you do buy it - will you have money for unexpected repairs or even regular maintenance? Tires you can figure $1,000 installed. Brakes - DIY probably around $450-500, have it done by a shop - $1,000-1,200. The total cost of ownership of an older performance car typically isn't trivial. Having a stash of "fix-it" money can make owning one much less nerve-wearing. If something like the engine craps out (and they do.. sometimes) - the value of the car is virtually nil. That's because the cost of a used engine is basically the cost you paid to buy the car.

So that's my story. If it was me - I'd wait to find the one that says "buy-me"... that's a karma sort of thing, after driving it your subconscious will have picked up on good/bad points that you might not have noticed. It will pick up on the person selling it. If it's a dealer - all bets are off. If it's a private party - how do they seem to you? Clean well cared for home - or a dump? If it's a dump you can pretty much be assured the car hasn't received exceptional care and maintenance. If you have a nagging feeling you might question buying it - run away. Your subconscious is telling you something. If you find yourself really enthused about buying it - then set up the PPI and see what the results are.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Denz - I'm not one to discourage buying a high-mileage performance car - if you can DIY and have tools and the space to work on it. Otherwise - it might empty your bank account rather rapidly. "A cheap German used car may be the MOST expensive car you've ever owned" - and that goes double for Porsche simply because of the high parts and labor charges businesses seem to think we deserve for owning one.

These aren't troublesome cars - but you are looking at a car with a lot of miles - on everything in the car - so things are going to fail simply due to wearing out with time/miles. If you can address the maintenance items like brakes, suspension, shifter-cables, serpentine belt and idlers, etc without taking it to a dealer you'll probably be OK. If you can't DIY for these things (and many can't) finding a great independent Porsche garage is essential. A dealer will charge $500 for an oil change - 2021 718, or 2008 987 - just because it's older and worth a lot less - the service charges don't depreciate like the value. If anything they become higher since there is more to do.

I would suggest a "pre-purchase-inspection" (AKA PPI) - by that great independent shop you've found. There is no guarantee they'll find everything that's wrong or will break shortly, but they should provide you with a guide to service needs going forward and if they think it's a decent car. Lots that isn't obvious to the average buyer will be obvious to a skilled and experienced mechanic.

If you do buy it - will you have money for unexpected repairs or even regular maintenance? Tires you can figure $1,000 installed. Brakes - DIY probably around $450-500, have it done by a shop - $1,000-1,200. The total cost of ownership of an older performance car typically isn't trivial. Having a stash of "fix-it" money can make owning one much less nerve-wearing. If something like the engine craps out (and they do.. sometimes) - the value of the car is virtually nil. That's because the cost of a used engine is basically the cost you paid to buy the car.

So that's my story. If it was me - I'd wait to find the one that says "buy-me"... that's a karma sort of thing, after driving it your subconscious will have picked up on good/bad points that you might not have noticed. It will pick up on the person selling it. If it's a dealer - all bets are off. If it's a private party - how do they seem to you? Clean well cared for home - or a dump? If it's a dump you can pretty much be assured the car hasn't received exceptional care and maintenance. If you have a nagging feeling you might question buying it - run away. Your subconscious is telling you something. If you find yourself really enthused about buying it - then set up the PPI and see what the results are.

Good luck!
Thank you.

·
Registered
2010 2.9 6spd
55 Posts
OP, can you clarify whether the car is an 08 or 09....?

Completely different car as in 987.1 or .2 which changed in 2009.

I bought a 2010 987.2 with 142k on the clock a year ago and have first hand experience of a high miler.... 151k on the clock this morning and drives spot on...!!!!

Best of luck, get a good PPi, have a really good luck at the history, talk to the owner and make your decision...gut feeling does count for alot.

Si.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A dealer will charge $500 for an oil change - 2021 718, or 2008 987 - just because it's older and worth a lot less - the service charges don't depreciate like the value. If anything they become higher since there is more to do.
I know shitting on the dealer prices is sport here, but $500 for an oil change? Really? Either you are greatly exaggerating, have only been getting price quotes at Porsche of Beverly Hills, or are just making up numbers entirely. I’ve never paid more than 1/3 that at the dealer…

·
Administrator
856 Posts
I know shitting on the dealer prices is sport here, but $500 for an oil change? Really? Either you are greatly exaggerating, have only been getting price quotes at Porsche of Beverly Hills, or are just making up numbers entirely. I’ve never paid more than 1/3 that at the dealer…
Where are you located and how many dealers in your local area? Pricing even of parts is done on a semi-regional basis (why some on-line dealers are always less $$$ than others) and labor rates vary greatly. A friend had the local dealer do an oil change on his Macan Turbo - over $500. He just shrugged it off as coming with the brand. I imagine it was justified as part of a mileage-based "service" - which mostly consists of a mechanic walking around the car looking for anything they can rationalize recommending for additional service. FWIW - labor rates in my area are in excess of $175/hr. A bargain is an independent shop that "only" charges $130. And of course its done by book rate - which any mechanic can beat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've seen lots of folks around here say the dealership charges ~350 and some say they pay it. So while $500 is a high water mark, apparently $350 is bearable?
Still about double what I’ve ever paid at a dealership. $500 might be ok for an Italian exotic or a 918 but we’re are not talking about that. Anything over $200 is a bit steep in my experience.

In any event, for some people that price is not only bearable, but reasonable. Time is money and if the dealer technician‘s billable rate is a fraction of my own, then it just makes economic sense to have them do it. (Assuming of course I assign a value of $0 worth of pleasure to changing the oil, as I do, and value my own free time at more than $350 per hour, as I do.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Where are you located and how many dealers in your local area? Pricing even of parts is done on a semi-regional basis (why some on-line dealers are always less $$$ than others) and labor rates vary greatly. A friend had the local dealer do an oil change on his Macan Turbo - over $500. He just shrugged it off as coming with the brand. I imagine it was justified as part of a mileage-based "service" - which mostly consists of a mechanic walking around the car looking for anything they can rationalize recommending for additional service. FWIW - labor rates in my area are in excess of $175/hr. A bargain is an independent shop that "only" charges $130. And of course its done by book rate - which any mechanic can beat.
$220 all in. (A bit higher than I remembered, prices must have gone up a bit during COVID). $500 is robbery.

·
Administrator
856 Posts
The labor rate seems exceptionally low. It would be one-hour minimum around me.. at $175.00. Anyway - my point about the topic at hand is - maintenance service costs don't go down (depreciate) as the car ages. If anything it will go up since there will be more service needed. And service costs for any Porsche are known to be ummm... exceptional.

Reactions: Aurelius

·
Registered
26 Posts
The labor rate seems exceptionally low. It would be one-hour minimum around me.. at $175.00. Anyway - my point about the topic at hand is - maintenance service costs don't go down (depreciate) as the car ages. If anything it will go up since there will be more service needed. And service costs for any Porsche are known to be ummm... exceptional.
Agree with all this. Just saying $500 oil changes are not normal, even at a dealership. (Not saying dealership oil changes are inexpensive but sometimes they are simply the closest best option if you don’t want to DIY and don’t want some Jiffy Lube tech leaving their shop rag in your air filter box, that is if they’ll even touch a Cayman.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts