Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying my first porsche and I was looking for a little bit of guidance on the vehicle in question.

The Vehicle I am looking at is an 09 boxster S With PDK and 93k on the clock. Do you guys know if their is anything in specific I should look out for on this vehicle? Are their any big maintenance schedules that are on the horizon as it hits 100k?

The reason I settled on looking at this vehicle is I didnt want to deal with the IMS bearing issues found in older cars and this car is actually exceptionally well priced where even if I went a few years older I would likely find myself spending more than this vehicle is priced. The Vehicle has been entirely serviced at my local dealership its entire life. The dealer said its in amazing shape and has been very well taken care of. (they would only tell me so much unless the owner agrees to release the service records which he has agreed to do). The vehicle has also not been in any accidents.

Thanks for any help you can provide guys!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Hopefully someone with more experience buying P cars will chime in as I have owned a CaymanS for only five months. Given what you have written above:
1. It sounds like it might be a great car especially if the price is nice.
2. Get the service records and go over them with a fine tooth comb.
3. Check the paint and glass. Are you happy with them?
4. Check the condition of the interior, floormats and seats. Open every lid and door in the cockpit. Do they function properly?
6. Take it for a test ride, does it run "like a Porsche" should run?
7. Move the seats to their extremes, do you fit?
5. Start the car and flip every switch and knob in there to be sure everything is functioning (lights, AC, dash controls, PASM, etc).
6. Are there any fault lights on? Be sure any faults are fixed before you buy it.
7. How does the stereo sound?
8. Check the tires, a new set will run at least $1,000. Consider that in the price.
9. Does that dealer do a PPI? If so get them to do one and give you a written report. If they don't then find an independent Porsche mechanic to do the PPI with an agreement and a list beforehand of what exactly that mechanic will inspect.

If it all checks out and you feel good about it, buy it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good idea on going with an '09 PDK. 987.2 PDK is fairly bullet proof and with good maintenance (like you say), it should give you miles of smiles with no big $ surprises.

You may want to get a PPI (not from selling dealer) with a leak down test. I only suggest the LD test due to the somewhat high mileage. That should be about $200-$400, but money well spent IMO.

Attached are some maintenance docs to help you figure out what it needs.

Good luck,

Eddie

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
At close to 100k my biggest mechanical concern would be the PDK transmission. Not sure how much long term reliability history there is on the PDKs but they were first introduced in 09 and with Porsches in general not driven as much as your average commuter car, there are probably not that many at close to 100k. Just something to consider since if a mechanical issue does arise with it, as far as I know an entire replacement is currently the only option available which is $$$

I think first service interval for the PDK is at 60k? I would at the very least make sure that service was performed by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If I were considering it I would get a PPI from an independent that knows these cars. Review the service records carefully to be sure everything has been on done schedule especially oil changes and the PDK service. Spark plugs and drive belt too. Also look for common repair items like the water pump. If it is still on the original pump then expect you will likely need to replace in the not too distant future. Also suspension components and CV joint boots. A good PPI will include such things. Check the pads and rotors. These are an easy DIY, but expensive if a shop replaces them. Of course do the usual due diligence on Carfax- not always correct but needs to be checked. A good PPI will identify any crash damage, painted panels etc. The mileage wouldn't bother me IF it's been well cared for. The seller may say it has been but needs to be verified. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Good suggestions above on getting the PPI from an independent if this dealer is selling it. I assumed the owner was selling it and the car was coincidentally serviced by your dealership.
OC

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The others post pretty much summed it up well. Have a look to see if rotors, brake pads & fluids, gearbox fluids, tyres were serviced/replaced.
Since its been serviced with the dealership, it should be easy to tell how well it was looked after.

Also look for roof alignment issues and condition of the soft top and inclusion of all accessories like the tyre pump & cargo net.

The hard part is usually deciding on the options for the car and if any "missing" items will be deal breakers.
I ended up buying a relatively lightly optioned one that had my most critical options only (Xenon PDLS, 19 Inch rims, exhaust).

enjoy the shopping! its part of the experience :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
You might check to see when the PDK will need a fluid change and what that cost will be. I don't have one so of course I have no experience on it. Maybe someone else can answer that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts