Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to notice for a while now that when I'm letting the clutch out in lower gear (2nd mostly), there seems to be a "jerk" that happens when the clutch is almost fully disengaged (under slightly aggressive acceleration). The RPMs do not surge, so, I'm thinking it isn't the clutch.

I don't notice anything else odd, so, while it could be an engine or trans mount, I'm at a bit of a loss. Anyone have any other ideas?

Also, if I'm cruising around 3k RPM in 2nd or 3rd and poke the gas a bit, the car will jerk a little...but that might be normal torque response. I've only owned this car for a few months so I'm not really sure what normal should feel like.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It a little hard to understand just what your concern is. If it were me, I'd find a similar car either at a dealer/used car lot or through Porsche Club contacts and drive it to compare. It is quite possible what you're experiencing is normal but difficult to say from you description.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
AFA the jerk you report, are you rev-matching on your upshifts? That is necessary for smooth shifting on these drive-trains.
There is a slight stumble/surge north of 3K that has been attributed to variocam kicking-in,

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I like Budman's suggestion. Drive a similar car to see if it does the same thing. It could be normal or perhaps the rev-matching isn't exact as RSchwerer mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you might be right on that. I didn't realize the Cayman had variable cams. I haven't noticed anything driving the car today, but I typically notice it shifting between 2nd and 3rd with moderate acceleration. I think my shift points are usually between 3.5k and 4.5k, so, that makes sense. I'll keep an eye on it and I will try to drive another Cayman as well.

Thanks everyone for your help. Happy New Years.

·
Registered
346 Posts
sorry for the stupid question

but we you upshift at any gear, do you step on the gas a little to match the rev, or would that damage anything? , i find it jerky upshifting at around 2.5-3k RPM, i have sprint booster installed

·
Registered
113 Posts

but we you upshift at any gear, do you step on the gas a little to match the rev, or would that damage anything? , i find it jerky upshifting at around 2.5-3k RPM, i have sprint booster installed
You should never blip the throttle on an upshift. When you upshift, the rpms have to DROP for the next gear, so increasing the rpms is precisely what you don't want to do. Now, when you downshift, then you do want to blip the throttle because the lower gear requires higher rpm to maintian the same speed you had in the higher gear.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I seem to notice for a while now that when I'm letting the clutch out in lower gear (2nd mostly), there seems to be a "jerk" that happens when the clutch is almost fully disengaged (under slightly aggressive acceleration). The RPMs do not surge, so, I'm thinking it isn't the clutch.

I don't notice anything else odd, so, while it could be an engine or trans mount, I'm at a bit of a loss. Anyone have any other ideas?

Also, if I'm cruising around 3k RPM in 2nd or 3rd and poke the gas a bit, the car will jerk a little...but that might be normal torque response. I've only owned this car for a few months so I'm not really sure what normal should feel like.
Its not normal, but you might want to work on your shift tecnique. In normal driving, I can time it so that I shift up and just release the clutch without slipping it at all and the car does not jerk at all. Many passengers have told me they didn't realize I had a stick since the shifts are so smooth.

These cars have high torque, so if you don't get the shift right, it is more prone to jerking than a say a Honda civic. Let the clutch out too early and the car will jerk forward, too late and thhe car will jerk back.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts

You should never blip the throttle on an upshift. When you upshift, the rpms have to DROP for the next gear, so increasing the rpms is precisely what you don't want to do. Now, when you downshift, then you do want to blip the throttle because the lower gear requires higher rpm to maintian the same speed you had in the higher gear.
I don't think Oliver was talking about "blipping" as in a downshift. In this case, the idea is to get the engine RPMs up in the range where they should be when the clutch is let-out in the next higher gear. So instead of lifting your foot off the throttle completely during the shift, you press enough to approximate where the RPMs should be when the clutch is fully engaged in the next gear.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
could be anything ... mounts, clutch, etc. Best to find someone in your area with a similar car to compare with.

our cars have pretty strong pressure plates in the clutch setup, so sometimes the clutch may not slip even when it's worn out. Happened to me before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts