Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Finally I went with a Maisto model 1:18, it's even better than I expected. I also did a thorough search, there is some surprisingly good body work done to some 987s as on the first 2 pics.

I started working with clay (following pics). First I went with the widest hips that are aesthetically pleasing, and a wider wheel (only the right side). It looks swollen and unnatural from the rear due to the tail lights.

In general, the goal is to fabricate panels from carbon fiber and create a custom widebody.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes I did. It is amazing and partially inspired me to go for it. Exhaust note could be a little more GT3 high pitched for my taste, but I'm being fussy. The green Cayman that I put next to it on the picture is also widened seamlessly - I like it.

I want to go one step further and increase the diameter of the ellipse defining rear fenders - arrows (my most recent clay model with photoshop). It equals moving the light laterally - you can compare it on the pic with the dotted line. It changes the character of the car quite dramatically and putting a wing or a duck tail starts to make sense (soon).

Some graphic designer on the web did a great work playing with the 987 design which also shows a full curve and not a wave on the rear fender (picture).

Work in progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 more pics, all 4 corners have initial widening but I see front is too wide. You can tell how much less volume there is at the right front fender (viewers side) than the left.

I am not painting over the clay until I reach the desired shape, but later I will prepare sketches that look more like renders. It takes time and this is just an after hour project.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I got it, I need to figure out the taillight situation, possibly leave the original lamps. I will upload more pics eventually.

Can you recommend a person to fabricate carbon fiber panels? I am looking for a price estimate and the technique details. Maybe we can create molds to market them for other users.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@up - saw it, amazing work. Too bad the owner supposedly did not pursue engine work, despite the looks it was a standard 3.4 inside with 300 horses.

I wan't to keep it more retro, less acute angles, I think the biggest problem to make the 987 look mean are the tail lights. Can't figure out how to make them look good, I may need to order a custom lamp like the one below. I am thinking that build will start from a blown engine 987, I will ship the engine for a rebuild to 4.2, I was also looking at gt3 engines, but they are quite expensive in comparison and completely incompatible with anything else in the car. I found some folks doing a DFI 3.8 from the 997S to 987.1 for 45k, which is still more expensive than boring to 4.2.

I am debating this over an F430, but I always wanted to build a car.

Attachments

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,666 Posts
Why delete it? I was looking forward to following your progress
As to the taillights, I think that extending the stock shape inboard, to fill the gap created by moving the entire lamp assembly outboard, would closely mimic the original design intent. But it's difficult to tell if this would work aesthetically, or if the entire lamp size would need to increase by scaling up proportionally.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm trying to visualize what you are saying, it may work but would also require new lamp fabrication. First I will explore more of this 959 style. It is easy to make one perspective work and have literally every other be a disaster.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think you may find this design interesting, you may not see this well but this is a much wider, bulkier version that I made before. Tail lights would go anywhere just following the curves (GT40 style would probably be sacrilege ;))).

This will end up with a technical view comparison of all versions, I noticed that I become fond of versions like this one despite constantly moving forward and finding new ways.

Please forgive my ridiculous way of tying the model to a tripod, I didn't have a drill.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think I found the right proportion for this spoiler design. The car is 140mm wider at the rear and 70mm at the front. There are details missing, you see it especially on the picture of the back. Hips of this thing look absolutely badass no matter the angle, unlike the original design which looked feeble from some perspectives.

There is one more iteration to design before I can figure out what to do in reality, one with with the original tail lights.

To add some spice to this story, my 987 was totaled by my insurance company this week. I swerved to avoid hitting a coyote and hit a curb at 10mph. Front unibody damage. I'm looking at a 987.2 S turbo at the moment, to continue with my goal of building new skin on the car. But I think I will wait with my purchase until after the winter.

EDIT 2 26.10.2019.jpg
edit y 10.26.2019.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Started the last iteration, I think the Porsche way was the most... sensual, from lack of a better word, bodily like. It is enough to just widen things and voila. May just be the right answer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts