Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent trip covering 1,500 miles from the Shire (NC), to the Misty Mountains (New England); there and back again.

Route taken: Rt 95, arguably one of the least pleasant roads in the country in terms of traffic.

Some observations on the base Cayman, 2014, manual transmission:

Cruise control:
Given the car’s propensity for speed (This has nothing the driver, as we all know!), I thought it best to make good use of the cruise control. I could not be more pleased with it. I give it good marks for ease-of-use and flexibility. The stalk is well placed, and once I got used to the mechanics of acceleration, deceleration, and setting the speed, I relied on the cruise in all but the most traffic congested areas (NYC, DC, Baltimore).

Seats:
The 14-way seats performed well, proving to be comfortable. I pushed through 14 hours of driving with about 5 short breaks of about 10 to 15 minutes, each. I did not dread getting back in the car, even as the day’s driving wore on. Having heated seats is a blessing, as well. As muscles tighten up from extended sitting, the warm seats loosen tense muscles; this was welcomed.

Suspension:
When smooth road gave way to very bumpy road (as with concrete road with un-even seams that are perpendicular to one’s line of travel), I found that after 30 minutes or so, the suspension is, for me, just on the edge of being too stiff for extended travel on rough roads. If the suspension had been any stiffer, my back would not have liked it. I could not imagine my back liking the sport suspension (option “X73” in the Porsche build tool)) on an extended trip.

Nighttime visibility:
Superb; the adaptive bi-xenon headlights allowed me to see those grazing deer that were off the road, far to the right. I felt an added sense of safety for having such good lights. As for ambient, inner-cabin lighting: I found very little reflected light on the inside of the windscreen: just the red, “doors-are-locked” indicator shone on the inside of the windscreen.

Mileage:
As advertised: 30+ mpg on the highway, cruising in 5[SUP]th[/SUP] or 6[SUP]th[/SUP], as the speed and road conditions warrant. (This is with Dunlop winter tires and 18”, original equipment wheels). I would expect slightly better mileage with harder tires.

Rain:
Wipers (auto-sensing): Very impressed with their seemingly telepathic ability to fire at the right time.
Aside from the autosensing wipers (superb) how did the car like the rain? I find that it performs well in the rain. I did notice that from time to time, the inner windscreen seems to get slightly foggy under certain conditions. (Just what those conditions are, I cannot say). Turning on the defroster (aka the “blaster”) clears up the light inner-fog in short order. I suspect the fog has something to do with the humidity given off as a result of breathing. Cracking a window dissipated the fog as just as well as the defroster.

Rear windscreen:
I did not get the rear wiper for the car. I now realize that, in situations like parking lots, where the car has been stationary and exposed to rain or dew, there can be a lot of accumulated water droplets on the rear windscreen. If I do not wipe down the rear window, I’ll not be able to see out the rear window, as the moisture accumulates on the window. Because of the very slight angle of the rear window, rain sits on it big, dime-shaped drops: pretty hard to see through all that water. I now have a “moisture towel” (A commercial product called, “The Absorber”) that I keep in the car for those parking lot moments when the rear window is holding a lot of water. Once the car is underway, the rear window does not hold large drops of water and visibility is fine through the back window.

Snow:
None encountered! Very disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing how the car would fare in snowy conditions.

Sun:
No issue with sun; the visors worked well and I was able to move them off to the driver’s side window to block the early morning and late day rays that would come sidelong into the driver’s eyes.

Other:
Interactions with road and other cars:
Road bumps (concrete seams), pot-holes, man-hole covers: avoid at all costs. Not a car I would want to drive all winter long in the 495 and 95/128 beltway area of Massachusetts: just too many giant SUVs out there, too many potholes, too many manhole covers. A small, low car is not fun in the Starbucks parking lot when surrounded by Titans.

Other Porsches seen while on the trip:
One soft-top Carrera from the mid-nineties (bound for Florida)
Two (maybe three?) Cayennes.
911s of recent vintage: zero
Other Caymans: zero
Other “exotics”: 1 Maserati; 1 “other” (Bentley?)

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I have not taken my 981 2.7L on any drives greater than a couple hours. However, I did take my 08 CS on a Birmingham to Port St. Lucie Fl and back a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. I took that same car to Charlotte and back and then a year or so later did the Birmingham to Charlotte and back drive a couple times and found it totally enjoyable. By the way, I drive Port St. Lucie to Charlotte several times a year now (wife's Audi A3 usually) and found 95 one of the more miserable, traffic laden boring drives.......one of these days we will take the 981 to maybe make it at least a tad more fun :).

·
Registered
955 Posts
I find the 981 to be a very comfortable cruiser, too.
:cheers:
Regarding the windscreen fogging up, this perplexed me also when rainy season started here. It turns out that there is a secret hidden menu option that keeps auto-recirc on even if you think you de-activated it with the hardware button (see link below). After I toggled that menu option, my window fogginess disappeared.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-problems-complaints/102847-defrost-defog.html

Reactions: duckw

·
Banned
92 Posts
Nice write up! I recently had a customer (who is a member here), who just made a lengthy trip similar to yours as yours as well. I wonder if his notes/comments would agree or disagree with yours.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Good trip! As I opened it, I was wondering whether it was all in one road trip or just a report from accumulated mileage over time. Glad to see it was a road trip and hope to take a long one myself soon.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A recent trip covering 1,500 miles from the Shire (NC), to the Misty Mountains (New England); there and back again.
Did you hop?:banana:

Nice write-up, I look forward to my 1st long trip... in the spring.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You will find that these cars don't do too shabby in the snow. Last year I had a 6speed 981 CS loaner (my 997 was in for service) with winter tires in the middle of a snow storm.....I was thoroughly impressed. So much so that I'm replacing my Audi S4 for a Cayman!

Reactions: T-Design and sdj

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Rain:
... I did notice that from time to time, the inner windscreen seems to get slightly foggy under certain conditions. (Just what those conditions are, I cannot say). Turning on the defroster (aka the “blaster”) clears up the light inner-fog in short order. I suspect the fog has something to do with the humidity given off as a result of breathing. Cracking a window dissipated the fog as just as well as the defroster. ....
I don't know if you tried this but:

1. "Auto" will keep the A/C running to dehumidify the interior air and unless circumstances are unusual (like heavy fog) there should be no fogging.
2. It seems that many P-9'ers forget that there are three buttons on the 981 console that will redirect airflow to the feet, the dash, or the windshield (or some combination) in conjunction with the fan speed control. It isn't always necessary to use the "master blaster" defrost button to keep some airflow on the windshield.

Sounds like a great trip - I just did 1260 miles in our (just traded) 981 BS over a two-day period and although boring interstate, it was a pleasant cruise.

gordon

Reactions: sdj

·
Registered
80 Posts
(SDJ) - I enjoyed your very nice review. Overall, I really like my Cayman Basic. Glad I got the PDK, 14-way seats, black leather, folding mirrors, Info Bose Pkg, Bi-Xenon, Prem pkg, and especially the sport dual exhaust for aesthetics. If I had a "do over" I would not have ordered the 19" Boxster wheels just to have more rubber between the wheel and payment. The low profile tire scooting from a dead stop hard turn is awful especially in cold weather. I can't image how terrible it is for 20" wheels. I am not sure about the power steering plus, but it was a relatively inexpensive add-on. Since I plan on keeping my car for years and will never track it I haven't regretted ordering the Cayman S. Other than the aforementioned 19" wheels issue I am disappointed in the Bose failure to display most jukebox art. My dealership went the extra mile to help but Atlanta corporate office response has been non-existent. If I never buy another Porsche it will be because of their deplorable corporate technical customer service which by far is the worst I have ever experienced. FYI, I have been driving since the mid 1960's.

On a much more positive note I drove my car on a 450 mile trip and it was a most comfortable ride with the seats almost molding around my body with great back support. Before that, I thought BMW was the most comfortable ride. I didn't get the 30 mpg even though since day #1 I've used exclusively Top Tier Gas. I can't over emphasize that enough. Also, glad I followed the dealership directive to not even consider changing the break-in oil until 7500 miles.

·
Registered
911 Posts
(SDJ) - ...If I had a "do over" I would not have ordered the 19" Boxster wheels just to have more rubber between the wheel and payment. The low profile tire scooting from a dead stop hard turn is awful especially in cold weather. I can't image how terrible it is for 20" wheels.

On a much more positive note I drove my car on a 450 mile trip and it was a most comfortable ride with the seats almost molding around my body with great back support. Before that, I thought BMW was the most comfortable ride. I didn't get the 30 mpg even though since day #1 I've used exclusively Top Tier Gas. I can't over emphasize that enough. Also, glad I followed the dealership directive to not even consider changing the break-in oil until 7500 miles.
1. I assume by "tire scooting" you are referring to the vibration that occurs at very slow speeds when near full lock. It is also a characteristic of my base Boxster with 18" wheels - so size doesn't really matter in this instance.

2. Rather than worry about a Top Tier name brand, I use whatever 93 octane is cheapest and have no problem hitting 30 mpg on the road. The best mileage was in Canada running 91 octane gas without ethanol.

3. And I concur that the ride is great for touring - much better than my first generation BMW Z4, but not quite as good as my E91 wagon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I find the 981 to be a very comfortable cruiser, too.
:cheers:
Regarding the windscreen fogging up, this perplexed me also when rainy season started here. It turns out that there is a secret hidden menu option that keeps auto-recirc on even if you think you de-activated it with the hardware button (see link below). After I toggled that menu option, my window fogginess disappeared.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-problems-complaints/102847-defrost-defog.html
Thanks, Sportwagen. I have just given the recirc-off option the acid test--rain, fog, standing in traffic--screen and window fogging gone. Planet 9 scores again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Tom - Great advise regarding the 93 octane which I've used from day #1. All I know is the largest BMW dealership in my state highly recommends ( toptiergas.com ) top tier gasoline. So much so their top certified engineer goes to their Germany plant to consult with their R&D a couple times a year is adamant.

In fact, the BMW dealership gives a handout every time she goes in for service. It's an excellent website that is quite explicit explaining technical reasons why, certified companies in USA and Canada, etc. I'ts just a matter of clicking on the toptiergas.com icons.. It just makes sense that the extra cleansing agents make a huge difference in performance and repair bills in the long run. Note, U.S. government reduced cleansing agents standards a few years back, but I realize each Porsche owner has their own priorities / personal choices regarding fuel. We've owned 3 BMW's and driven them over 100K miles without incident.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Road bumps (concrete seams), pot-holes, man-hole covers: avoid at all costs. Not a car I would want to drive all winter long in the 495 and 95/128 beltway area of Massachusetts: just too many giant SUVs out there, too many potholes, too many manhole covers. A small, low car is not fun in the Starbucks parking lot when surrounded by Titans.
Is there a place in the US where this isn't true? Titans exist everywhere :eek:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there a place in the US where this isn't true?
Smallville? :)

Regarding the re-circ option set to off: yes, indeed! That was the trick!

Thanks, Sportwagen. I have just given the recirc-off option the acid test--rain, fog, standing in traffic--screen and window fogging gone. Planet 9 scores again.
+1 on that.

Thanks, lads/lasses.

-S

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Excellent write up! I do take at least one 2000+ miles road trip every year, and also find 981 an excellent car for long trips.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts