Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of jumping from 265 to 275 for rear tires on a Cayman? I have 265/40ZR-18 Michelin Super Sports currently mounted on the rear of my Cayman. I want to match the new (3 month old Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3) fronts put on by the Benz dealer where I bought my car (it was a trade in) before I purchased it late August. They (A/S 3) aren't available in 265 and I want to replace the existing rear Super Sports with these before Spring. For now the Super Sports are okay with a few thousand miles left on them. I don't track the car. Had I purchased the tires myself I would have made sure to get the Super Sports all around but unfortunately the front A/S 3's were already there.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Please read the posts on here about mixing tires; in your case all seasons on the front and summer on the back. This should've been caught prior to purchase and handled accordingly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your very helpful reply. I searched posts re: mixing tires which didn't answer my question as to going plus one to my satisfaction which is why I posted my query. Also I was so enthralled at buying my first Porsche I overlooked the tires. I was very happy to see two brand new tires on the front and the rears not worn too badly. I did have a good look at all the previous maintenance records which I thought were very important. Forgive me for overlooking that the two brand new tires on the front didn't exactly match the two older tires on the rear. I'm not a "tire expert" and was hoping someone here might know more than I. I'll ask Tire Rack tomorrow.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
I'm running 285s on the rear with wheels 10" wide. 275s won't be a problem, most for us run 275 Nittos on the track without spacers.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have been told before by an indie shop that slightly larger/wider tires are okay, but actually would be interested if anyone actually tried this.

I'm sure the dealer would say bad idea.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running 285s on the rear with wheels 10" wide. 275s won't be a problem, most for us run 275 Nittos on the track without spacers.
Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts