Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
So I'm sitting in the Silverstone Pub on the Paddock at Laguna Seca (about 100 yards from turn 3) and we are 1 hour into the 2.5 hr Conti Tire SC Championship race (which I suspect is the source of all that noise I hear). The Caymans, which have been dominant so far this season, are way down in the standings. I suspect IMSA has imposed a balance of performance (BAP) penalty on the Caymans to stop the dominance. Maybe someone can confirm that.

·
Registered
625 Posts
So I'm sitting in the Silverstone Pub on the Paddock at Laguna Seca (about 100 yards from turn 3) and we are 1 hour into the 2.5 hr Conti Tire SC Championship race (which I suspect is the source of all that noise I hear). The Caymans, which have been dominant so far this season, are way down in the standings. I suspect IMSA has imposed a balance of performance (BAP) penalty on the Caymans to stop the dominance. Maybe someone can confirm that.
OK, I confirmed it myself by talking to one of the Cayman teams in the paddock. I was told that all of the Caymans in the ST class have had their airflow restricters reduced from 70 to 50 mm limiting horsepower. Today at Mazda Raceway, Mazdas took first, second and third in ST class. . . :sleep:

·
Registered
895 Posts
What a bunch of hooey. Literally everyone gets a trophy.

Eddie

OK, I confirmed it myself by talking to one of the Cayman teams in the paddock. I was told that all of the Caymans in the ST class have had their airflow restricters reduced from 70 to 50 mm limiting horsepower. Today at Mazda Raceway, Mazdas took first, second and third in ST class. . .

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ok, here are some pictures of some of the Caymans at the Laguna Seca race on May 2, 2015 in the paddock and at turns 4 and 5.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I was up bright and early (the race was on the Sunday before last from 0600-0800) to watch this. Had things to do so missed the last few minutes so I looked up the results (not remembering what was posted above) and saw Miata's finished Win, Place and Show in the ST class. Caymans were well down the list. I was a bit surprised to say the least.

Even with BAP in place, how can the Caymans do so poorly? Is it driver's ability? A Cayman just can't hang with a Miata when HP is the same due to BAP?

Thank you.

Eddie

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was up bright and early (the race was on the Sunday before last from 0600-0800) to watch this. Had things to do so missed the last few minutes so I looked up the results (not remembering what was posted above) and saw Miata's finished Win, Place and Show in the ST class. Caymans were well down the list. I was a bit surprised to say the least.

Even with BAP in place, how can the Caymans do so poorly? Is it driver's ability? A Cayman just can't hang with a Miata when HP is the same due to BAP?

Thank you.

Eddie
Caymans have dominated the previous races in this series this year. The answer is BAP changes starting with the Laguna Seca race per my posts #3 and #4 above. I read somewhere but can't confirm that last year the Caymans were BAP limited to something like 240 HP in order run in the same group has Hondas and MX-5s.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks for your reply TerrySmith, but I'm not following.

Are you saying Caymans are limited to 240 HP, or is it lower? A Cayman would have to take a 100 HP hit to be in line with a Miata NC so maybe that explain their dismal showing.

Eddie

Caymans have dominated the previous races in this series this year. The answer is BAP changes starting with the Laguna Seca race per my posts #3 and #4 above. I read somewhere but can't confirm that last year the Caymans were BAP limited to something like 240 HP in order run in the same group has Hondas and MX-5s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts