Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys help me think of some general ways to increase rwhp (Rear wheel HP) on the Cayman? Some +hp gains I can think of are intake, exhaust and perhaps a port/valve polish, use of lightweight metals of small parts of engine (i.e. the valves, connecting rods) and if possible (but risky) increase displacement. Not sure if modding the CPU chip (usually of 15-25hp increase) would be a good choice because it's already sport tuned.

Keep in mind that I want this engine remain NA and the purpose of this is to see the alternative to RUF's current solution.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Improving the 3.4's breathing and then getting the power to both rear wheels, using a limited slip differential,will be what Porsche does for the Cayman RS. Aftermarket support for the Cayman is coming as soon as the tuners can get their Caymans.

You could start here: http://evoms.com/p%20boxster%20main.htm

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Improving the 3.4's breathing and then getting the power to both rear wheels, using a limited slip differential,will be what Porsche does for the Cayman RS. Aftermarket support for the Cayman is coming as soon as the tuners can get their Caymans.

You could start here: http://evoms.com/p%20boxster%20main.htm
k, k but u know the Cayman RS is just BS. Porsche uh..might be building one, but you do know that article that was made a few months ago
(http://www.onlyporsche.net/images/stories/2005/20050702_porsche_cayman_rs.jpg)

is a fake, right? It's very good photoshop done by a high-school student

http://www.haag-design.de.ki/

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
The picture was done in Photoshop, that doesn't mean that there will not be a Porsche Cayman RS - stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Porsche's most recent engines have been relatively difficult to modify for significant improvement. I am not a big fan of chips, cold air intakes, and headers/exhaust mods since the gains are often minimal, the cost is anything but, and often drivability suffers. The OBDs will inform Porsche about your mods during a service check, and your warranty will be voided in the process. Aftermarket suspensions modifications (springs/struts) can increase performance without compromising ride in a cost effective fashion. Lowering your car is not likely to void your warranty in and of itself. IMHO a $40K engine transplant is not a cost effective means of gaining 60 hp (assuming a stock 3.8L 997S engine). Unless somebody (tuner, independent team, etc) decides to race the Cayman in some reasonably high visability series and wins, there isn't going to be much enthusiasm (i.e. sales) for high performance Caymans with ultra high price tags. Even if Porsche were to offer a Club Sport (much more likely than a Renn Sport) variant, it's not likely to offer more performance to justify the price differential which will undoubtedly be exorbitant. I personally don't think a 26HP USD X51 option is worth $16K, and that should provide some clue about what a CS Cayman premium may demand. Let's just hope that the $60-70K Cayman S is snappy enough as is.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just have to chance the warranty. I want to have a bit of +hp gain (I think the Cayman S, its engine, chassis etc. potential is held back by a lot for the name of the 911, which is why I think there will be no RS varient)

But the large part of the mods is to lighten the car. The curb weight I think is a bit too much, and I bet that Porsche engineers accepted that deliberately for, again the loyalists of the 911. However I'm taking Colin Chapman's (founder of Lotus) idea that a light car doesn't need a lot to move-fast. So the majority of mods I would be doing would be Lexan/Carbon conversions of body panels, glass etc.

And besides, I'm gonna do a particular mods to this car, like custom fascias and wheels, as well as... (I'm not gonna tell you guys, you probably wouldn't believe me) which I feel I might have to do to have it in my portfolio in order to get into college (as I aspire to become an automotive designer, a very competitive 'section' of the industry.)

Anywoot, please continus with your comments and suggestions as posted on the first post.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've gotta believe the easiest single hp mod would be supercharging. I gather from RUF That the question will be finding enough room in the engine compartment.

·
Administrator
34,427 Posts
FWIW, I had a 2000 Boxster S that gained 30hp from the 3.2L engine by installing headers, evo intake, and ECU reprogramming. I never had any problems with this set up, it ran consistently strong, no warranty problems as ECU flash was undetectable, no check engine lights, so you can do this successfully. I will admit others have had problems with the same or similar combos but obviously something must be different given the different results. I think I had a very good mechanic that did some of the work. Given the restrictions on the Cayman, I'm willing to bet there are an easy 30hp lurking in this engine using the same sort of methods. Rumor was that the first time Porsche turned up this 3.4L block with 997S heads it put out 315-320hp but that was too close to the 911 so they retarded it back to 295, likely through intake, those restrictive exhaust manifolds and some ECU tuning of their own. This also gives them room to 'grow' with the same engine. For example that 3.2L engine has gone from 250 to 280hp in 5 years from Porsche, but in 2000 if you would have asked them about that they would have told you it was maxed out and the 3.2L doesn't even use the 997S heads.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW, I had a 2000 Boxster S that gained 30hp from the 3.2L engine by installing headers, evo intake, and ECU reprogramming. I never had any problems with this set up, it ran consistently strong, no warranty problems as ECU flash was undetectable, no check engine lights, so you can do this successfully. I will admit others have had problems with the same or similar combos but obviously something must be different given the different results. I think I had a very good mechanic that did some of the work. Given the restrictions on the Cayman, I'm willing to bet there are an easy 30hp lurking in this engine using the same sort of methods. Rumor was that the first time Porsche turned up this 3.4L block with 997S heads it put out 315-320hp but that was too close to the 911 so they retarded it back to 295, likely through intake, those restrictive exhaust manifolds and some ECU tuning of their own. This also gives them room to 'grow' with the same engine. For example that 3.2L engine has gone from 250 to 280hp in 5 years from Porsche, but in 2000 if you would have asked them about that they would have told you it was maxed out and the 3.2L doesn't even use the 997S heads.
Thanks for ur input. This is just what I'm talking about. Porsche deliberately retarded the Cayman S and would like to 'unleash' it's full, (but street drivable) potential. Any more comments?

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Yes, don't believe the preformance upgrade stories and promises unless you can verify them on a dyno that you witness. There is much b.s. out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Supercharge it!! Very similar (very) platform at the engine base as a BoxterS, it should not be very difficult, call Mike Levitas at TPC, they already talking about one.,cheers,Sonny.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Supercharge it!! Very similar (very) platform at the engine base as a BoxterS, it should not be very difficult, call Mike Levitas at TPC, they already talking about one.,cheers,Sonny.
I said I would like to have it NA - Naturally Aspirated.

This thread is two months old. See the Active Topics for more relavant responses.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Welcome Sonny.

Supercharging - I'd vote no. I have seen too many busted Porsches with sloppy supercharging and other modifications to suggest that new owners of expensive under warranty Porsches try this. You can read hundreds of performance advertisements that really have no independant real world everyday testing behind them to fall for the 'it is easy to best the Porsche engineers' sales pitch.

Ruf is my exception.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Santa Fe,

Point well taken. But Ihave my reserves. Up to now I have installed 8 supercharger kits on custumer cars,one in a Boxter S, four in std. Boxters, and three in 911 Carreras, all of these have racked a lot of miles on them, so I'm speaking from actual expirience, the most problems that I have seen are belt and tensioner issues,on the reliability of the engine itself I think it is bullet proof. On the warranty issues,well that goes with the territory, some care, some don't, if warranty issues are a problem, then perhaps nobody should consider even the slightest modification to their cars.Ruf??--old story, try better 9ff!!, kind regards,Sonny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Crazy fast,

Sorry, I didn't notice the last note on your post. Imho the only way to have reliable HP & Torque gains(mostly torque) in a NA 3.4 is by breathing improvements (Int. & Exh. sides) and a displacement increase , maybe to 3.6? and throw some chip tuning in to the mixture and you will have a very good engine making around 340HP. Cheers,Sonny.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crazy fast,

Sorry, I didn't notice the last note on your post. Imho the only way to have reliable HP & Torque gains(mostly torque) in a NA 3.4 is by breathing improvements (Int. & Exh. sides) and a displacement increase , maybe to 3.6? and throw some chip tuning in to the mixture and you will have a very good engine making around 340HP. Cheers,Sonny.
Well, i guess it doesn't matter anymore, this thread is currently revived.

Since you know quite a bit about engine tuning, can you tell me if these also make good gains:

Port Polish

Smaller intake ports

Active Engine braking ( Use the engine hard during break-in. Heard on a site this will maintain or even surpass advertised HP numbers.

·
Registered
405 Posts

I totally agree that if you want to see more hp, then these are the easiest and 'cheapest' you can do to unleash some of that hp. I believe that there is 30-40hp in the 3.4L motor, that alone I think will make the cayman a monster on the street and maybe even the track, no need for the 3.8L engine swap. I do wish the Cayman came with LSD though. These are fairly simple mods to do and mods that I would do, even possibly coat the headers to keep the heat down in the cabin. Yes, I know this yields minimal gains and the cost might outwiegh the benefits, but with the mid-engine enclosed might yield more than you think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts