Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 23k miles on the factory Eagle F1 rear tires along with about 17k on front Michelin Pilot Sports (I think I'm recalling model correctly). When in for its 4 year service dealer warned me I was getting down to the wear bars and would likely need new tires within 6 months. Ok, no biggie.

The dealer was then going to deliver the car back to me after service but I get a call that one of the rear tires was losing air and go too low so they had to send a flatbed to get it back. I've not heard any more updates but I'm suspecting I will have to buy new tires now instead of later.

What is the best recommendation of presently available tires for the stock 19" wheels? Living in Seattle area we have plenty of rain and wet so I'd want a tire that can do well in wet conditions. I'm don't drive the car all that hard, probably why tires lasted so long, and am not looking for street/autocross tires. Just looking for good street tires that can handle wet.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
810 Posts
The MPSS was suceeded by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S earlier this year which gives much better wet traction than the MPSS and improves dry performance, too. The Continental DW was the go-to for wet performance and they upped their ante earlier this year as well with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport which is as good as MPSS and faster wet than MPS4S. They're both great tires that I expect will be very popular here as people try them: if you prioritize wet, get the Conti. If you prioritize dry, get the Michelin. But they're both very good both wet and dry and I think you'll be happy either way.

Here's Tirerack's heads-up testing of MPS4S vs CECS:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=223

Also, you got WAY too much life out of those tires, drive harder!! :p

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S GT Silver over expresso
88 Posts
Looks like the pilot sport 4s is not available in OPs 19" tire size at this time. That leaves the Conti as the best option based on the tire rack test....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have about 23k miles on the factory Eagle F1 rear tires along with about 17k on front Michelin Pilot Sports (I think I'm recalling model correctly). When in for its 4 year service dealer warned me I was getting down to the wear bars and would likely need new tires within 6 months. Ok, no biggie.

The dealer was then going to deliver the car back to me after service but I get a call that one of the rear tires was losing air and go too low so they had to send a flatbed to get it back. I've not heard any more updates but I'm suspecting I will have to buy new tires now instead of later.

What is the best recommendation of presently available tires for the stock 19" wheels? Living in Seattle area we have plenty of rain and wet so I'd want a tire that can do well in wet conditions. I'm don't drive the car all that hard, probably why tires lasted so long, and am not looking for street/autocross tires. Just looking for good street tires that can handle wet.

Suggestions?
You have driven 17k miles on mismatched front/back tires? Hard to give tire advice without knowing how you drive your car. I switched from Pirelli to Michelin Pilot Super Sports. MPSS are a great choice. And I agree, you should be driving harder on those tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just replace the OE Pzeros with MPSS. 17k on the OE -rears at wear bars on the outer third. Mine are 20". so far I find the MPSS quieter and ride better. No autox or HPDE yet but so far I consider these an upgrade

Reactions: sx797

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have driven 17k miles on mismatched front/back tires?... And I agree, you should be driving harder on those tires.
The Continental DW was the go-to for wet performance and they upped their ante earlier this year as well with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport which is as good as MPSS and faster wet than MPS4S.

Here's Tirerack's heads-up testing of MPS4S vs CECS:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=223

Also, you got WAY too much life out of those tires, drive harder!! :p
Looks like the pilot sport 4s is not available in OPs 19" tire size at this time. That leaves the Conti as the best option based on the tire rack test....
Yeah, looks like the conti tire is my best option for needing new tires now.

I had mismatched tires because there was a similar shortage of rear Michelin tires when I bought the front ones. I wanted all 4 but every place told me at least a 6 month wait and since there was an unpatchable nail in one tire I had to get new ones immediately. Local dealer confirmed that the mismatch was fine more most driving but at limits there could be some white knuckle times of rears letting go. Probably another reason I didn't drive it too hard.

Car is my daily driver and commuter car. Getting married and having a kid kinda cut down on times to head to track or autocross. And I'm not one to push it hard on public roads so the tires lasted way too long. I was surprised and a bit embarassed I got past 12k total miles since that was about what my '00 Boxster S averaged on its tires.

I'll go looking for the conti tires. Thanks all!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm facing the same situation. Daily driver that doesn't track the car but "gets on it" from time to time. You want great handling and a smooth ride. Wait for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I contacted Michelin USA and they indicated this tire will be available in the 265/40/19 size @ September 1, 2017. The 235/40/19 is already available. According to Tirerack reviews (301 Moved Permanently), this new Michelin is the best performance tire money can buy. Porsche will probably N Spec the tire shortly. It's not much more expensive than the Continental. Other option is the Bridgestone Pole Position; but it's tread wear rating isn't very high (i.e. Lifetime of tire before it breaks down).

·
Registered
569 Posts
You have driven 17k miles on mismatched front/back tires? Hard to give tire advice without knowing how you drive your car. I switched from Pirelli to Michelin Pilot Super Sports. MPSS are a great choice. And I agree, you should be driving harder on those tires.
+1 on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm facing the same situation. Daily driver that doesn't track the car but "gets on it" from time to time. You want great handling and a smooth ride. Wait for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I contacted Michelin USA and they indicated this tire will be available in the 265/40/19 size @ September 1, 2017. The 235/40/19 is already available. According to Tirerack reviews (301 Moved Permanently), this new Michelin is the best performance tire money can buy. Porsche will probably N Spec the tire shortly. It's not much more expensive than the Continental. Other option is the Bridgestone Pole Position; but it's tread wear rating isn't very high (i.e. Lifetime of tire before it breaks down).
They were able to patch my tire so I am OK for a bit. But I would like to get all 4 replaced ASAP.

I do see that TireRack has the front tires available for purchase currently. If Michelin says the rears will be available on Sept 1, any idea when TireRack or another retailer would actually have them for purchase/ordering?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why wait for TireRack? Many Michelin dealers will beat or match their prices. Since you are in Washington just order some from an Oregon dealer and when they are available drive down and get them mounted and balanced. That way you avoid the Washington sales tax. Here in California it is typically a wash when you compare shipping cost to sales tax. Besides I like my local Michelin dealer and they treat me like a loyal customer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Can't speak for others but I highly prefer our independent shop & Tire Rack over the usual Michelin dealers. The wait isn't that long if it's in stock. Our TR distribution center is 1 day away via UPS.

If Michelin says the rears will be available on Sept 1, any idea when TireRack or another retailer would actually have them for purchase/ordering?
For TR contact Jim (phone number & his extension are on their site). He posts here as well as on other car sites. He was very helpful when I was looking to get a set of MPSS's and only saw 5+ year old inventory on their site.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why wait for TireRack? Many Michelin dealers will beat or match their prices.
That part must have changed in the past few years. At least around me, the Michelin dealers were all a good bit higher than Tire Rack. Only Discount Tire was close in price. I'll check with some in another week or so to see what they know about the new size being available and their pricing.

Driving down to Portland would be min 3 hours each way. My wife wouldn't go for me taking 6+ hours away on a weekend leaving her with the kiddo to save sales tax. Figuring under $1300 for the 4 tires the most I'd be saving in sales tax is $130.

Also just realized Costco will special order tires. Am I crazy for considering Costco to mount/balance/install these?

·
Registered
197 Posts
That part must have changed in the past few years. At least around me, the Michelin dealers were all a good bit higher than Tire Rack. Only Discount Tire was close in price. I'll check with some in another week or so to see what they know about the new size being available and their pricing.

Driving down to Portland would be min 3 hours each way. My wife wouldn't go for me taking 6+ hours away on a weekend leaving her with the kiddo to save sales tax. Figuring under $1300 for the 4 tires the most I'd be saving in sales tax is $130.

Also just realized Costco will special order tires. Am I crazy for considering Costco to mount/balance/install these?
No, you are not crazy to consider Costco. They typically have good prices and their installers are trained through a program with Michelin plus you cannot beat their warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went by today figuring it was 2+ weeks past when the tire was supposed to be available. Costco had to call Michelin as the rear was not available in their system. I had passed along that I heard the tire would be available from Michelin on Sept 1. When Costco called them, Michelin informed them that the 19" rear tire size (265/40/19) is not available and has no planned date for being available. That's disappointing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can drop back to a 35 aspect ratio to 235/35-19 and 265/35-19 which are listed as available on Michelin's website. If you have a manual transmission it will make it easier to take off from a stop. Another option is to install 245/40-19 and 275/40-19 which are available. Interestingly the Super Sport is also not available to fit the 981 fronts. If it was me and I wanted to keep the stock tire sizes I would go with the 4s in the front and Super Sports in the rear.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've got Toyo T1R's and I love them. Good for dry or wet conditions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.