Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I specced out the same base Cayman on both Canadian and U.S. sites. Basically no options other than xenon headlights, slightly nicer 17" wheels and one up from the base sound system.

Anyway, the Canadian car comes to $70,000CDN and the U.S. car comes to $55,000US. Neither price includes taxes.

Assuming a dollar at par (which they're predicting by end of summer) I can't see why a Canadian wouldn't drive to the states to save $15,000! I mean people drive across the border to save $20 on a sweatshirt.

So let's say I've saved $15,000, now what fees and other costs are going to cut into that savings as I bring the car back across the border and get it all ready to drive in Ontario?

Also can you lease a car in the states if you live in Canada?

·
Registered
155 Posts
if you buy in the US you have to pay the entire sum out front, no leasing or financing available. If the $ stays at par, definitely worth looking into.
You'll notice if you priced out both cars, w/ costs and taxes included, the differences would be even larger!!!:eek:
Still cheaper in Canada than many other countries, just ask our friends in australia!

·
Registered
444 Posts
No you can't lease a US vehicle and live in Canada.....I am positive of it and the reverse is also true (Candian Leased vehicle and move to the US)

When you import you need to pay 6.1% duty as it was not made in N.A. Then you pay GST, RIV fees (only a hundred dollars or so) and then PST when you go to put the plates on it so it all dips into the savings! Plus factor in the time and paperwork and transporations fees or flight if you need to go far and drive it back. Also, if the vehicle is still under warranty you might pay $500 (reduced from $1500 I believe) for the pre-warranty inspection to have the Cdn warranty started on the car. In the end and depending on the currency exchange, you do save $$ buying in the US but one needs to calculate it to see if it is worth the hassle to go it. Once you factor a well optioned car you will se that the price difference is a lot more!

When you live in the US and move back to Canada (as will be in my case) it is a whole different story and you save more money. You pay taxes & duties on the KBB depreciated value upon importation and the 1st $10,000 of the the vehicle value is not subject to GST. Also you don't pay PST (depends on province- in Ontario you don't) if you had it plated in the US.

The big advantage of buying in the US is that dealers are more negotiable (more dealership competition) and also there are a lot more cars on the market available so there is more to chose from.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you import you need to pay 6.1% duty as it was not made in N.A. Then you pay GST, RIV fees (only a hundred dollars or so) and then PST when you go to put the plates on it so it all dips into the savings! Plus factor in the time and paperwork and transporations fees or flight if you need to go far and drive it back.
Thanks you wabbit636 that's very helpful. So by that math, a $55,000US Cayman will then be charged $3,355 duty (6.1% duty) and $7,150 tax (GST + PST) So the total cost will come out to $65,500US. The GST+PST would need to be paid up here anyway so with the duty factored in I'm still saving nearly $12,000! Seems worth the hassle and paper work to save $12K.

So my next question is what changes if I buy a used Cayman privately from someone in the U.S. and what changes if I buy a used Cayman from a dealership in the States?

Do I still pay duty and GST, PST in each of those cases?

·
Registered
155 Posts
You will always pay GST, PST and DUTY (19.1%). Keep in mind that the taxes are applied to the converted amount (i.e. the car in CAD, not USD), so you would be best to bite after or if the canadian dollar exceeds the US dollar or at least close to it.
Also remember that US dealers will not sell a car to you unless you are a US resident. This means you will have to hire a broker to buy and bring in the car for you, this may cost about $1000 for the service.
I didn't bother doing this for my car since i wanted it custom and wasn't sure what the dollar would do by the time the car arrived. If you find one on a lot, the risk is a lot lower due to decreased chance of our dollar sinking back down to "normal" levels.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
My 2010 Cayman S was heavily optioned and about $20,000.00 more than comparable US price. I look on this as the entry fee for an exclusive club-Canadian Cayman S Owners....eh! I personally couldn't be bothered with all the extra hassle of looking for a car in the USA.;)eh! and a beer!

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
It gets worse as you go up the product line, my new 2011 GT3 will be $30K more than the US price. I have bought all my P-cars in Canada, if no ones shops here we will lose our local dealers. I also don't have the time to do the cross border shopping thing; it's a PITA for new cars, not so much for used ones.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2010 Cayman S was about $20,000 more than comparable US price. I couldn't be bothered with all the extra hassle of looking for a car in the USA.
:eek:

I'm a pretty lazy guy, but I could put up with a little hassle to save $20k! Wow. So you were just like, meh it's only $20K.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will always pay GST, PST and DUTY (19.1%
Even if you buy privately you have to pay duty and GST and PST? You only have to pay one tax in Ontario if you buy privately from someone else in Ontario.

Remember that US dealers will not sell a car to you unless you are a US resident. This means you will have to hire a broker to buy and bring in the car for you
That I didn't know. Is this still the case? So I can't buy it myself. Huh. Well at least I don't have to worry about any of the hassle just pay the broker.

Surely you can buy a car privately from someone though without a broker.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
:eek:

I'm a pretty lazy guy, but I could put up with a little hassle to save $20k! Wow. So you were just like, meh it's only $20K.
Yep! Pretty much. I like to support local dealers as well for reasons posted by others above. 20K OK!! My wife tells me I've blown millions but I think she exaggerates. BTW I've got nothing against shopping for deals especially with our dollar approaching par again. Good luck in your search.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Ordered and bought mine State side, would do it again tomorrow, if yours truly would allow me too.... pretty simple actually, no broker involved as I'm lucky I have several relatives in the states to use for initial ownership/title which if new you'll need or be forced to go to a broker.

Mine was 96k CND b4 taxes and freight up here, which is almost twice as much. Paid 62k U.S. lower freight cost and the rest of the taxes you have to pay anyway, 6.1% Customs and the dreaded PST & GST......got shitty and got my US money above par Nov.07 so it was well worth it, only deal is living with the instrument cluster in MPH vs KLMS.....don't care.........now unless your loaded, and even if it's 8-10k you save, you know where I'm going

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only problem is living with the instrument cluster in MPH vs KM/H.
The digital one you can change simply clicking through the options on your onboard computer. I guess it would only be the tiny analogue one off to the side which would remain MPH. And I guess if you were really fussy you could replace the gauge completely.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Never look at the analogue myself. Everything you need is right in front of you, so mph shouldn't matter as long as digital is set to kph.:)

For 20K I could have that BMW bike I've been lusting after as well:crazy:

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Speedometer? What's that? Is that the thing that you try to keep the numbers really high on?

·
Registered
47 Posts
buy it in the states. a post by ontario above is, i believe, incorrect on one item. you can buy from a dealer. just not brand new. i bought my 07 in the states back in 07 when the dollar was near par. all in, including the drive with my wife to pick it up plus gasoline, hotel bills, dinners, gst, riv, safety, etc etc , i still saved over 20 grand. now that's a lot of coin. and the warranty is north american. i bought from a dealer since i felt that i'd be less likely to be scammed. the car was "used" with really, really, really low miles and fully loaded. it was base but with 18" s wheels, bose, xenons, etc etc. it's not that onerous a process. the speedo is set to digital, in kmph, and the dealer simply activated the daytime running lights before i drove it home. ctc didn't require any modifications---everyone just signed off. almost three years later and it's worth about what i paid for it originally.
i almost did the same this past month with a land rover sport that i just bought. but i got such a good deal here that the several thousand $ i could have saved wasn't just quite worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
buy it in the states. a post by ontario above is, i believe, incorrect on one item. you can buy from a dealer. just not brand new. i bought my 07 in the states back in 07 when the dollar was near par. all in, including the drive with my wife to pick it up plus gasoline, hotel bills, dinners, gst, riv, safety, etc etc , i still saved over 20 grand. now that's a lot of coin. and the warranty is north american. i bought from a dealer since i felt that i'd be less likely to be scammed. the car was "used" with really, really, really low miles and fully loaded. it was base but with 18" s wheels, bose, xenons, etc etc. it's not that onerous a process. the speedo is set to digital, in kmph, and the dealer simply activated the daytime running lights before i drove it home. ctc didn't require any modifications---everyone just signed off. almost three years later and it's worth about what i paid for it originally.
i almost did the same this past month with a land rover sport that i just bought. but i got such a good deal here that the several thousand $ i could have saved wasn't just quite worth it to me.
One of my neigbors got same kind of deal on S4 Avant. You guys obviously put more thought into these things than i do.:cheers:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I bought my 07 in 08 and saved about $12,000 after factoring in all the expenses.
Importing a car (bought privately or from dealer) from US means you have to pay duty, GST & PST.
Fairly simple process, I think, or pay a Canadian broker $500-600 plus cost.
Of course, the more you spend, the more you save. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
The digital one you can change simply clicking through the options on your onboard computer. I guess it would only be the tiny analogue one off to the side which would remain MPH. And I guess if you were really fussy you could replace the gauge completely.
Yup did that at the dealer before I left down South, they went thru the stalk and options so we did it there as far as the digital end is/was. Thought about changing the cluster as there are good articles here on how to, but I'm an original type guy, and it dosen't bother me plus I'm in The States a ton so I actually do use it, best o both worlds......but if your serious explore the dealers to the south, cheaper units and better pricing off MSRP. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts