Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

It has been quite some time since I have been around these parts but it is time for some new news on my GTS. Some of you may remember my saga of the engine ticking noise that led to replacing the lifters that led to not changing anything. Well that very same car with 30,434 miles on it had the tansmission fail while driving around 80mph.

When I say fail I mean i was making a red-line shift from 2nd to 3rd gear and the car felt like the rear tires lost traction a bit, or like a momentary shudder, but then acted normal pushing through third gear for a bit. When trying to shift into 4th gear the shifter would not go into the 4th gate. I try to put it back in 3rd and it wont go. So at this point I am coasting with the clutch in and cannot get into any gear. So I start to let the clutch out with the shifter in the neutral position and the engine starts to die around 60mph. I immediately push the clutch back in and continue to coast till I can find a spot to pull off the road.

Once I was stopped i turned off the car and let the clutch out. then moving the shifter around it would go into 1st and 2nd fine. Would not go into 3rd at all, partially went into 4th, 5th, or 6th. Put it back in neutral and started the car, started to let the clutch out and car began to stall. Shut it off and called roadside assistance at that point.

My first thought was the shifter linkage broke and I was stuck in 3rd gear. But some of the other things it was doing didn't fit with that story.

In the end Porsche says they are replacing the transmission, and do not know what specifically failed at this point and will have the old one sent off to them for analysis. I doubt I will ever be given the details of the failure but it still sucks that i happened and at only 30k on the transmission.

I know a lot of GT4's have had a problem losing 3rd gear but that failure just results in the third gate acting as a neutral, nothing like what happened to my transmission.

Dealer expects to have the replacement transmission tomorrow, and possibly installed by Friday.

I will post a video of the events while they happened, mind you I was driving a bit "aggressively", so if that offends you please do not click the link.

https://youtu.be/uyg5puMfFxE

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry to hear that man, but I'm glad Porsche is stepping up to cover you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey man, I've missed you at many of last year's events, and this is not the way I hoped we'd reconnect. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hopefully they'll have you back on the road in no time. Which dealer is doing the work? Also pardon my ignorance (since I haven't monitored GT4 forums) but are the replacement transmissions reinforced or revised in any way? Or same design as before?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its no worries in fact the *remanufactured transmission has arrived and is being installed tomorrow. Hennessy is my go to spot, even though I have to pass perimeter to get there.

The GT4 transmissions have been replaced with a serial number denoted by CX indicating some kind of fix. Most people are suggesting that the third gear has now been seal welded to the spline rather than the three spot welds that were breaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts