Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sure will, this just happened, car just died at stop light, i had a misfire before on bank 2 couple of times and porsche dealer told me that there was no problem and once they changed 1 spark plug. today i spoke with the Porsche protection plan customer service they said they are going to send someone to inspect the car and told me that dealer sent them a estimate of $35K for engine replacment
If Porsche does not cover it I would look for a used motor, especially if you are going to sell the car. There is a 3.4L short block on ebay for $3500 and complete 2.7 L motors for <$4000.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,153 Posts
If Porsche does not cover it I would look for a used motor, especially if you are going to sell the car. There is a 3.4L short block on ebay for $3500 and complete 2.7 L motors for <$4000.
Careful about that tho… you maybe not be any further ahead on a used motor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone, got the bad news from Porsche today, my 16 CS with 45k miles had a misfire it would start and the turn off, had it towed to Porshe dealer they did a diagnostic and told me that need a replacement engine, cylinder 2 damaged, all services were done accordingly, my CPO expired at the end of October, purchased the Prorsche protection plan platinum a mount ago for 24 months, Porsche tells me its up to them to authorize the repair, if not i'm responsible for the repair, they are waiting for the inspector to go and check it out. i asked them what is the cause of damage they say they dont know, car was in excellent running condition, All services done and never tracked,
Unfortunately, the same exact thing happened to my '13 Cayenne with less mileage than your's. CPO was in place. Porsche said it was a freak thing and in fact, my specific dealership said they had never seen it before. They did not replace the engine but it did require them to remove the engine to do the fix. My issue was also with cylinder 2. I think they said part of the problem was one of the valve/lifter spring's failed. Whatever. I wanted them to replace all the springs since they had the engine apart. They said the warranty insurance wouldn't cover for them to do that. So... out of fear, I got rid of the car and bought an '18 Q7 that I love... but I've heard horror stories about them also. My toy car is a '14 781... so you definitely have me scared. I'll just hope for the best. Hope all goes well for you.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That's scary , My 2017 CS just hit 46000 miles ! Good luck !!!
If you are going to keep the car and your warranty expires defintly get a extended warranty, its around $4200 for 2 years. to replace the engine on my car their estimate is $35K

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you are going to keep the car and your warranty expires defintly get a extended warranty, its around $4200 for 2 years. to replace the engine on my car their estimate is $35K
Wow… there will eventually be so many of these cars that become mechanically totaled…thankfully Porsche is usually worth rebuilding because it’s kinda of a non-depreciating car(sports cars)… 35k? For an H4 motor!?! Geeezuz
I’ve really had my eye on the new Emira, looks like a great car and would bypass some of this massive expense on the back end… I had that motor in an MR2 and it cost me 1800.00 haha

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow… there will eventually be so many of these cars that become mechanically totaled… it’s not the only brand either.. 35k? Geeezuz
I’ve really had my eye on the new Emira. I had that motor in an MR2 and it was f’ing great and it cost me 1800.00. MR2’s are fabulous handling cars too.. imo the best from jdm 90’s
I was checking the lotus, the best thing about it its that v6 Toyota engine. I'm sure very relabel and cheap to repair

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I was checking the lotus, the best thing about it its that v6 Toyota engine. I'm sure very relabel and cheap to repair
Yes that’s the motor I was talking about 2GR 3.5 V6…. There great motors… I had an Elise SC… what a car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hopefully Porsche will cover it, but knowing insurance companies, they'll use any excuse they can to deny the claim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suspect most know this, but just in case--dealers/warranty companies/etc DO peruse forums for the info available here--e.g., "I did mods to my car and now I'm having problems that I want covered under warranty" and will use that info against you. Just a word to the wise...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Let's try to keep things in perspective. I feel bad for the OP and his predicament...no doubt. But engines are mechanical...and anything mechanical can break. This isn't a common thing with Porsche engines, like the bore scoring and IMS nonsense we are all familiar with, so I think for the most part we can relax.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Let's try to keep things in perspective. I feel bad for the OP and his predicament...no doubt. But engines are mechanical...and anything mechanical can break. This isn't a common thing with Porsche engines, like the bore scoring and IMS nonsense we are all familiar with, so I think for the most part we can relax.
Agree… these are all H4T motors right? I don’t know a lot about them…but it sounds like issues we’ve all seen before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So any update from the dealer? Are they really making you pay for the whole thing? Also I was always into lotus cars given their engine reliability and beautiful look. I’ve heard their body panels bumpers etc are rare and expensive to find when needed if in an accident though.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So any update from the dealer? Are they really making you pay for the whole thing? Also I was always into lotus cars given their engine reliability and beautiful look. I’ve heard their body panels bumpers etc are rare and expensive to find when needed if in an accident though.
Hi,
Car is still at a Porsche dealership, basically my extended warranty denying the claim telling me that my warranty is not valid and that Porsche dealer could not sell it, they say the extended warranty can only be sold at the time of the purchase of the car. its a Porsche Protection plan company is SAFE-GUARD PRODUCTS INTERNATIONAL, LLC, they are total scams with hundreds of complaints from consumers. they claim they are subsidiary of Porsche but thats a lie. not sure why Porsche deals with them

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi,
Car is still at a Porsche dealership, basically my extended warranty denying the claim telling me that my warranty is not valid and that Porsche dealer could not sell it, they say the extended warranty can only be sold at the time of the purchase of the car. its a Porsche Protection plan company is SAFE-GUARD PRODUCTS INTERNATIONAL, LLC, they are total scams with hundreds of complaints from consumers. they claim they are subsidiary of Porsche but thats a lie. not sure why Porsche deals with them
Ouch…..😡
So now what? Rebuild? It’s just such a costly thing to do

·
Administrator
'11 Cayenne TT, '09 Boxster
925 Posts
Hi,
It might be worthwhile talking to an attorney about this. You bought the warranty from an authorized seller and paid your money in good-faith. I believe an attorney might be able to convince the warranty company that their view of their responsibilities might be a bit shortsighted.

Perhaps if we have an attorney here - they could comment in a manner that doesn't mean they're giving legal advice.

BTW - did a Google on them,, and I can't recall seeing so many people who wanted to leave NO star reviews for the company. They're obviously.. well, read them and decide for yourself:
- click on the reviews..

21 - 40 of 40 Posts