Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, folks

So, I Purchased Brand new 2017 Boxster S model this May.

Took it to the track at 2500 mile, 3-4 laps on track and I noticed that it only make 5 psi of boost at the max.
Oil temp reading was 235-240 F, Outside temp was 85F.
Wasn't able to finish the entire trackday due to the limp-mode issue.. getting pissed off....

The next day, made an appointment for service. Took the car in for check up few days after.
Mechanic said that turbo was overheating and went into limp mode to protect the turbo and engine.

Over the past weekend, weather was nice around 65 degrees out. So I took my 718s out for some country road experience.

About 5-10 mins into spirit driving and all the sudden oil temp skyrocketted to 245F and it went into Limp mode again.

Aren't these cars made for track use? My old M3 never had this issue before...

Does anyone experience this overheating issue with their new 718s?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sorry to read about your experience. I've taken my car to the mountains over the summer a few times and driving quite "briskly" for 300 miles of back roads with no issues. I plan my first track day early next year at VIR. I currently have 4K on the ODO.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hello, folks

Took it to the track at 2500 mile, 3-4 laps on track and I noticed that it only make 5 psi of boost at the max.
Wasn't able to finish the entire trackday due to the limp-mode issue.. getting pissed off....

The next day, made an appointment for service. Took the car in for check up few days after.
Mechanic said that turbo was overheating and went into limp mode to protect the turbo and engine.

Over the past weekend, weather was nice around 65 degrees out. So I took my 718s out for some country road experience.

About 5-10 mins into spirit driving and all the sudden oil temp skyrocketted to 245F and it went into Limp mode again.

Since seeing the first diagrams of 718 exhaust layout, I was concerned about heat management on this car. when i drove one of the 718 launch cars on the street on a 90 deg. day, the oil temp was right around 250deg. in casual driving with sport mode on.That is high relative to the 981.

Having said that, this is the first mention of limp mode events at the track for the 718 that I've heard of or read, and that includes track reports of the car testing at various tracks.

Just out of curiosity, is there any mention of special prep for the track in regards to oil weight in the owners manual? Likewise, what is the language in the manual regarding track use--of any sort--and your warranty. On the 981, it's pretty clear--you risk negating your warranty if the car is used at the track. I had a failure of the throttle pedal potentiometer while watching an even at Mid-OH--making the car undriveable--and made the mistake of calling Porsche customer car to get the car flatbedded back to my house. The first words out of their mouth was the warranty didn't cover any failures on the track, which required me to explain I was a spectator at the event.

BTW, you might consider a 5w-40 oil if your are currently using M1 0w-40; I made the switch after the first oil change and have had no issues.
Motul, Castol and LubroMoly all make A40 spec oils in that weight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is definitely abnormal behaviour. I took my car to the track with no special prep, only an inspection. The ambient temperature was about 40 degrees Celsius and I caned it on the track with absolutely no overheating issues. In fact the oil temp never went over 98-99 degrees Celsius despite aggressive driving lap after lap after lap. Total track time was 90 minutes over 3 sessions in one day. At the end of the event I just drove back home as if nothing had happened. My experience is not isolated and therefore I expect there is a particular problem with your car. I hope it gets resolved soon.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
.. On the 981, it's pretty clear--you risk negating your warranty if the car is used at the track. ...
Are you sure about that? I thought that if you are attending a PCA driver's education event, not timed racing, you are okay with the warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My '17 Cayman S PDK runs cooler in sport mode. In September I drove I80 to Reno and noticed that the oil temp rose a little in "non sport". On the freeway or anywhere out of town , I drive my car in manual. The oil temperature is always higher in normal mode. On I80 I just switched over to sport and the oil temperature dropped to an acceptable level. I am an old fart and I just watch the temps and would rather have my car run in a normal range ( 194 -230 ). Enjoy your cars, but abuse leads to wear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
These cars are flogged at driving school-I'm curious if anyone had been to Birmingham since the 718 has been used- and if there was any temp issues. I drove one pretty hard at PCA delivery (for 90') w/o issue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Basic 718 Boxster:
I routinely get boost higher than 5 lbs (that's only .3 bar!) when accelerating hard.
I have NEVER had the temp go higher than 109°C (228°F) or 98°C (208°F) in Sport mode.

Sorry mate, but it appears to me that your 718 is broken. Take it to the dealer and demand warranty work to fix it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hello, folks

Very sorry to hear this.
what transmission your car has?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds like it may be the turbo putting it in limp mode as oil temps on track can routinely be 240-260 degrees for these cars. At least with the 981 and I'd assume the 718 is similar. Those oil temps shouldnt be putting it in limp mode.

·
Registered
736 Posts
That would be unusual - did you do a pre-track day inspection, were your oil and water levels correct. Are they correct now? These cars can do this all day - thus unless there is a problem with coolant levels - you may have a problem with the car and given its new it will be fixed under warranty.

I live in Australia (in a hot part of Australia) and do a lot of track days and have never seen a Porsche go into any form of limp mode.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Are you sure about that? I thought that if you are attending a PCA driver's education event, not timed racing, you are okay with the warranty.
From the Porsche 2016 MY owners manual, Pg. 10 under what isn't covered:

• Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing, track use, or other events.
Note 1: Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) may not be covered by the new car Limited Warranty.
Note 2: You should also be aware that PCNA may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications

The important language is "may not be covered" which would suggest coverage is at their discretion. I think this is where your relationship with the dealer comes in. If they are sponsoring a DE, I'm thinking they will do everything they can to have a problem covered under warranty. If the dealership is sponsoring the event, the last thing they want to do is burn customer for attending an event which they are promoting--not good for repeat sales.

My experience with PCNA over the phone suggests they say NOT COVERED as soon the word "track" enters the conversation.

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
My 981S never goes higher than 210F in sport mode. Just my 2c

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
My 981S never goes higher than 210F in sport mode. Just my 2c
I’ve not had an overheating issue at all at 8000+ miles. The fan does kick in after the engine is turned off and goes on for several minutes on hot days or after extensive driving. Of course now that we’re below 50 degrees F much of the time around here, we’re not worrying so much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I took the car back to dealer for service, yesterday.

Got a call from service advisor today said that they can not figure out what is wrong with the car. Which they told me the same thing few months ago, when it first happened.

He said they will send all the data log to Germany over the weekend, and give me an update on Monday.

Will see....

·
Registered
268 Posts
At least they aren't saying there's nothing wrong!

One problem with computer control is that if the computer can't give info some technicians don't check for themselves.:(

Good luck getting a solution. I went for a spirited (although not very fast due to the winding road) drive in 34°C, and in sport mode the oil temperature never climbed above 98°C.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
So, I took the car back to dealer for service, yesterday.

Got a call from service advisor today said that they can not figure out what is wrong with the car. Which they told me the same thing few months ago, when it first happened.

He said they will send all the data log to Germany over the weekend, and give me an update on Monday.

Will see....
That's the problem with modern Porsche... If the computer isn't smart enough to tell you the problem - technicians usually not smart enough to figure it out on their own. The design is so complicated...

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Hello, folks

Looking forward to hearing what the resolution is for your overheating issue...

Regarding the comment I bolded above, I don't ever recall reading that Porsche 'officially' designates their street cars as track ready, don't confuse marketing as defacto support for this. As Mike's post #12 suggests, Porsche is stating otherwise in the manual and warranty documentation.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would imagine that in most scenarios if the vehicle in question doesn't exhibit any clear signs of abuse (including engine overrevs) that PCNA will honor the warranty. Driving on track within the car's designed limits is not abuse and shouldn't void any warranties. Now, driving on track with R-comp tires or with an aftermarket wing adding significant downforce, that's a different situation and now your car is operating outside of it's designed limits.

Reactions: Semitone
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.