Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent the winter trying to get setup to run R-comps for autocross this season. After looking at what was available for wheels, tire selection and my budget I decided to find a 17" solution. The problem is that most Cayman 17" wheels aren't wide enough. I didn't want to go any narrower than my stock 18's. I started looking for decent wheels within a price range. I really couldn't see buying brand new shiny rims when I barely care how they look. I started checking the old used Porsche rims to see what fit. I ended up with mismatched front and rear rims but the sizes are very close to ideal.

For the fronts I ended up with 986 Boxster rear rims. They are 17x8.5 ET 50. These are a perfect fit for the front of a Cayman. I have a base, I am not 100% sure if these would fit over S brakes but I think they might. A few people run 9" fronts but they seem to stick out a lot. These are about the widest I would want to go. The extra 1/2" width over stock is all to the outside so they look like stock with big spacers.
View attachment 12706

For the rears I used older 911 CupII rims. They are 17x9 ET55. They required a 15mm spacer to put them right about where my stock 18's where. These were flaking a lot around the lip and I had to sand and repsray them. I only did the lip and the paint is much brighter.
View attachment 12707

I was going to buy new Kumho V710s in hopes of using them for a couple seasons but I just happened across some lightly used Hoosier A6's in the exact sizes I wanted. 245/40 front and 275/40 rear. All the rims weigh about 22-23 lbs each. Not amazingly light but also not heavy.
View attachment 12708

·
Registered
46 Posts
Keep in mind that if you run in SCCA AX and want to run in stock class then your wheels must mach stock height AND width. So you can run 17" but they must be stock width.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I ran those 17"'s on my Boxster S for years and there's no problem clearing the S brakes.
You have factory 9" rears which are 55mm offset from the Carrera's. Boxster used 50mm and the aftermarket of the same wheels are usually 47mm which would help your offset in the rear which still look in to me.
Here's some pics of my old car with 17x9" 47mm offset front & rear without spacers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep in mind that if you run in SCCA AX and want to run in stock class then your wheels must mach stock height AND width. So you can run 17" but they must be stock width.
Yeah, I decided I wasn't going to bother with the SCCA rules. They also only allow a very slight difference in offset. Luckily there is enough PCA activity here. Now I should start looking at the rest of the modifications allowed in the Production class. Hmm... lowering springs would help me get some more negative camber.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran those 17"'s on my Boxster S for years and there's no problem clearing the S brakes.
You have factory 9" rears which are 55mm offset from the Carrera's. Boxster used 50mm and the aftermarket of the same wheels are usually 47mm which would help your offset in the rear which still look in to me.
Here's some pics of my old car with 17x9" 47mm offset front & rear without spacers.
You are right, my rears are still tucked in about the same as stock. I'm curious to find out if a wider front track and stock rear track will make the car more neutral.

Are 986 S brakes the same size as 987 S brakes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts