Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking online and the only ones that seem to fit are Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 3D or Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO SERIE II, but when I look on Porsche's website it looks like they have Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 18" kits?

F: 235/45R18 94V
R: 265/45R18 101V

What is everyone else running?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have the Dunlops. Second winter and no complaints, although I don't stress them too hard.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Fine. Depending upon where you are in Alberta it may get somewhat colder than Ottawa, but similar conditions for the tires. I tend to take my other car when there is nasty weather so I don't get the Cayman pranged by someone else, but the tires handle snow and ice just fine. Pic is my car with the Dunlops mounted on 18" Boxster rims. I bought the package from Tequipment.

winter wheels.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking online and the only ones that seem to fit are Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 3D or Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO SERIE II, but when I look on Porsche's website it looks like they have Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 18" kits?

F: 235/45R18 94V
R: 265/45R18 101V

What is everyone else running?
I just got 18" wheels with the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II from Tire Rack for my 2014 Boxster. I've got about 100 miles on them, and like them alot. The turn-in precision doesn't quite match the surgical precision of my summer Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, but overall they turn accurately and stick really well in the cold. I've only had them down to 30*, no snow or ice yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have 225/40r18x8 245/40r18x9 Pilot Alpin PA4 and love them. It's not the stock size on tirerack so you need to put the tires and wheels in the cart separately iirc. I've previously only used studless ice and snow winter tires and these are amazing in comparison. The dry performance is excellent for winter tires. I went out for a spirited drive on the western side of CT and I was able to drive very close to how I would with summers.

I drove about an hour back from the CT/MA boarder on I 84 during that 21 car pile up snow storm we had a month or two ago and they handled it all well. Drove on country back roads after the initial accumulation and then on the highway during more snowfall. The only issues I had i'd say were attributed to the RWD nature of the car. My friend's house is up three different roads on hills and his driveway is not flat.

edit: tire rack did call me to confirm the tire sizes since they were different than stock/recommended dimensions. The caller assumed I wanted smaller due to them being a winter setup, but I did appreciate that they reached out to be sure I ordered correctly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 non-studded snow tires on four 18" wheels on my '15 Cayman and they are terrific. Hold, handle and wear very well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the Michelin Alpin PA4 and have logged about 15,0000 miles on them. I absolutely love them and will be replacing them with the exact same model when the time comes. It's amazing how they improve wet performance in the late fall and early spring months, in addition to the snow, of course!

·
Registered
786 Posts
It is about that time again. We will be offering some rebates on the winter tires starting around mid August. I do list we will be getting the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 in the 18".
If I can help let me know.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It is about that time again. We will be offering some rebates on the winter tires starting around mid August. I do list we will be getting the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 in the 18".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Jim,

I searched for 2014 Cayman S 18" winter wheel/tire packages and again only found the dunlop. Can you provide the details for how to get different options for winter wheels/tires/tpms in 18" for the 981 Cayman S? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do have the N spec Dunlop tire in stock and they have a 50.00 mail in rebate. We do have wheels that will fit as well.
Old thread bump :)

Yes Jim you can help! Looking for a set of winter wheels for 981S that is currently running 20's but we would like to do 18's for winter presuming no brake clearance issues. Looking for the any of the well-rated winter tires mentioned above, on decent black/flat black wheels. Browsed the tire rack and discount tire and decided it is probably best to take you up on your offer to help and give the business to someone active on the site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts