Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would a 19" carrera s wheels go on an 07 base cayman which currently has the stock 17" wheels? If so, will it void the warranty? would the shocks/suspension wear out quicker by putting the 19" larger wheels and tires? any adverse affect from putting on the 19" wheels? If the 19" will go on the 07 cayman, is there any special equipment needed to put them off safely like spacers and other things? is it safe to do this? thanks again everyone.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
You should be good to go since 19'' wheels are an option on all caymans...mine is an 08 and I have the 19inch sport designs on mine...I placed spacers on them only for aesthetics - you don't need them. They will not void the warranty.

They say the 19inchers are a little bit more rough of a ride...maybe so but I haven't noticed....i just love the look of a bigger wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Not quite Saucerman....the 19" rims offered on the Cayman are made specially for the Cayman, in a smaller width than the 911 version. The Sport Design rims are specifically for the Cayman and are 9.5" wide, and the turbo and carrera wheels offered for the Cayman are downsized versions of the 911 wheel.

Most of the 911 rims are 11" wide (The smallest is 10.5" on the Carrera (I think). As an example of what I mean a Turbo rim on the 911 is 11" wide whilst as a factory option for the Cayman it is 9.5".

I think the widest rims that can be used without modification is 10", but the offset would need to be checked to make sure.

If you post up the exact wheel dimensions on here then folks should be able to tell you if they'll fit or not.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
This is posted on Porsche configurator for Sport Design rear wheels for Cayman (11J x 19 with 295/30 ZR 19 tires). Is this true in the real world?;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're looking for a set I have 19" carrera s wheels that came on my 2006 Cayman S. I have since switched to HRE wheels. These will fit with no problem. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
This is posted on Porsche configurator for Sport Design rear wheels for Cayman (11J x 19 with 295/30 ZR 19 tires). Is this true in the real world?;)
It also shows some 305 rear tyres on one wheel model, but as far as I know there is no major changes at the rear regarding the axle or wheel arches, and the configurators in different countries seem to give different sizes.

It especially seems strange on the Sport Design option that they would have 295 on the rear and keep with 235 tyres on the front, so think the configurator is wrong.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
yep learn something new everyday...the Carrera S comes in three widths, 8.5, 9, and 11..and research does prove to a certain degree dunebasher is correct at least on our side of the pond :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not quite Saucerman....the 19" rims offered on the Cayman are made specially for the Cayman, in a smaller width than the 911 version. The Sport Design rims are specifically for the Cayman and are 9.5" wide, and the turbo and carrera wheels offered for the Cayman are downsized versions of the 911 wheel.

Most of the 911 rims are 11" wide (The smallest is 10.5" on the Carrera (I think). As an example of what I mean a Turbo rim on the 911 is 11" wide whilst as a factory option for the Cayman it is 9.5".

I think the widest rims that can be used without modification is 10", but the offset would need to be checked to make sure.

If you post up the exact wheel dimensions on here then folks should be able to tell you if they'll fit or not.
I use 20" wheels with a 12" wide rim on my CS. Tire size of 305/25-20 with no spacer and no problem. Fronts are 235/30-20, on a 8.8" wide rim.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My '07 Boxster S has 19" Carrera S wheels made for the Boxster/Cayman. The owner's manual says they are 9.5" wide on the rear which is interesting because the 18" wheels are 9 and they use the same size tire...265's. I'm thinking that when I replace tires that I can go wider but they are already 35 aspect ratio and wider ones are 35 also (Michelin PS2's) so it would trow off the speedo?????

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I use 20" wheels with a 12" wide rim on my CS. Tire size of 305/25-20 with no spacer and no problem. Fronts are 235/30-20, on a 8.8" wide rim.
But I'm guessing they are not Porsche rims and have an offset that suits the CS. The tyre size diffrence front to rear must increase understeer somewhat.....and you must have some nice roads around where you love to ride on 20 profile tyres.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have 19 x 11" on the rear of mine and the fender well is MAX-ed out. If you have 12", they stick out by an inch or so. Do you have any pictures?

My '07 Boxster S has 19" Carrera S wheels made for the Boxster/Cayman. The owner's manual says they are 9.5" wide on the rear which is interesting because the 18" wheels are 9 and they use the same size tire...265's. I'm thinking that when I replace tires that I can go wider but they are already 35 aspect ratio and wider ones are 35 also (Michelin PS2's) so it would trow off the speedo?????
Yes, most variations will throw of the speedo. I recommend staying with OEM sizes - Unless you want to go with significantly wider wheels and tires - and then there are some options that are pretty close. The search funtion on here will yield much relevant info. Regards.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Here is one more picture that shows the wheels flush with the wheel wells

View attachment 11978
And so it appears. Thank you. And it looks like I stand corrected. (I can say they won't fit in 19" or smaller diameter). I also think you may be the first on here to fit 12" wide wheels to the rear of a Cayman (without protruding). With the 20" diameter, you do gain a little clearance due to the angle of the strut leaning inwards at the top. Since this fitment is rare and others may benefit - would you mind taking a picture from the rear, parallel to the side of the car? And also, could you please post the wheel specs (esp offset, and any spacer if used)? We would appreciate it. Regards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I will do, but it wont be before Good Friday when I get home again. I dont have the exact specs with me but I recall the offsets being something like

Rear: 35, and Front 49.
But dont take it to the bank. I will double check when I get home in April.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Anyway back to the OP's question, the reality is that in order to make sure they'll fit or not the rim width, offset and what tyres will be fitted needs to be known.

Offset is the important factor here, but also if you are interested in keeping the balanced handling of the CS then you want to keep the front/rear tyre widths ratio the close to OEM.
I certainly would not be running 235 on the front and 305 on the rear and at least would have expected 245 upfront at least, as they will fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a comment / clarification regarding Cayman S tire/wheel size.

I just purchased a 2009 CS with the XPR 19" Carrera Sport wheels. These are the XPR's designed specifically for the Cayman and not those originally designed for the 911. When you check the Porsche specs in the build guides on the XPR you get the data for the 911 wheels and NOT the Cayman. I had a long discussion with the dealer when I found out the tires on the vehicle I was buying was delivered straight from Porsche with 235/35ZR19 front & 265/35ZR19 rear when the specs for the XPR is supposed to be 235/35ZR19 front & 305/30ZR19 rear!

Apparently Porsche has not included the CAYMAN XPR specs in any build guide docs, only the 911 XPR specs. Below is the quote from Porsche regarding the XPR 305's for the rear:

"Porsche stated to him that the error is within the literature in the build guide. There is not or ever has been a Cayman or Cayman S with the 305 tires on it from Porsche. They have never built, intend to build, or will participate in building a Cayman or Cayman S with the 305 tires. The Cayman is not designed and engineered for 305 tires and therefore not recommended by Porsche. The 305 tires are only intended for the 911’s as stated by Porsche."

·
Registered
36 Posts
See the following Photos.
The offset of the wheel is such that the wheel does not syick out pass the edge of the fender.

View attachment 11975

View attachment 11976

View attachment 11977
Hi, saw your post on 19' wheels you did, thought I would reach out to you for some advise. I have a Cayman S 2006 model, currently running the HRE wheels below. I found a pair of 911 wheels, just wondering if they would fit me car. I am not to concerned about the fronts, they are pretty much the same what I have, but the 911 rears a bit bigger. Let me know what you think.

2006 Porsche Cayman S

Current Wheels and Tires:

Continental Extreme Contact Tires in very nice condition:
Rear: 275-35-19
Front-235-35-19

HRE FF01 Tarmac Black
Front-19x8.5 et50
Rear- 19x10 et40

911 4S Wheels and Pirelli Tires I am looking to buy, if they fit:
Front: 235-35R-19
Rear: 295-30R-19

Porsche 911 Silver Wheel