Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Cayman S 19" 5-spoke wheels, or Boxster S 19" split 5-spoke wheels?

• Cayman S 19" 5-spoke wheels

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Boxster S 19" 5-spoke wheels

Votes: 28 59.6%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the OEM wheels that provide the best selection of high-performance tire fitments, is the 19" size.

The highest-performing tires that I have seen available for both the 18" and 20" OEM wheels, is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

But the Michelin Sport Cup 2 is available in for the 19" OEM wheels.

So, of the two OEM 19" wheels available, which do you prefer?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Neither, get some aftermarket 19"s for the track. 20"s have nice designs, 19"s looks to plain.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
For me I wanted track wheels that had similar offsets to the factory 981 19 inch wheels so I purchased a set of 'nearly new' used 987.1 19 inch wheels from a Planet 9 member. I could not find any reasonably priced aftermarket wheels with similar offsets to factory 981 wheels for both front and rear.

The 987.1 front offsets are the same as 981, the rear is only off by 1mm. That was more cost effective for me then buying new aftermarket wheels. Also, I like that they are sturdy (if not heavier ) factory wheels.

·
Registered
575 Posts
For me I wanted track wheels that had similar offsets to the factory 981 19 inch wheels so I purchased a set of 'nearly new' used 987.1 19 inch wheels from a Planet 9 member. I could not find any reasonably priced aftermarket wheels with similar offsets to factory 981 wheels for both front and rear.

The 987.1 front offsets are the same as 981, the rear is only off by 1mm. That was more cost effective for me then buying new aftermarket wheels. Also, I like that they are sturdy (if not heavier ) factory wheels.

I got the boxster 19" wheels for summer and the 18" cayman wheels in the winter. Both are a little hard to clean but
i love the look

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like the Cayman S wheels (obviously). To me, it's hard to beat a simple 5-spoke wheel - classic and sporty.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Got my Boxster 19s in black image.jpg

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't really love either, but I think the Boxster S wheels look a tad better (which is good b/c I now have 2 sets of them). The Cayman S wheels are just a bit too bulky and plain to me.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'm odd <I know, this is not new information> but I like the Cayman S rims on the Boxster (I did this to mine) and vice versa.

(Yep, mine).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've got my winter tires (Michelin Alpin PA4's) mounted on Cayman 5-spokes. Check out what they look like with a little black paint...

View attachment 56297
I have been planning my order for a boxster and have had difficultly choosing the wheels. Neither 19" really grabs me, but both are fine. BUT, I really, really like this fuchs/cayman s style wheel. My local dealer said they can paint wheels....maybe.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Boxster 19" is still lobster claw, right? Way better than plain Cayman wheels. But aftermarket options are still better. What I did was immediately selling my brand new 19" lobster claws and getting Wheel Dynamics 808 in black. HUGE improvement. Still happy about that decision 3 years later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts