Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've done a lot of searching around and sorry it seems like it asks the same questions as others, but I can't really answer my questions from other posts.

I have the 19" Sport Design rims (8J front and 9.5J back) on my CS with PASM and with an upcoming track day this weekend I thought I'd change the tyres to fully enjoy the day (and because I can). My PS2's are not down to their last legs, so I'll keep them stored for the moment and put them on to finish them off at a later point in time.

The questions I have for those that have 19's, have tracked with them or are just in the know, is it worth moving one size up at both the front and rear or are the best results to stay with the OEM sizes of 235/35-19 and 265/35-19 PS2's?

I was thinking 245/35-19 for the front and 275/35-19 for the rear, but now doubt if it is really worth it.....and how much does the N1 part mean for PS2's?

If I am not mistaken many rate the PS2's as the best for use as a street/track tyre, has anyone got different recommendations or would most say if you can stump up the extra take the PS2's?

If staying on the stock sizes what would be people's recommended cold and hot pressures? By cold I mean at ambient temps of around 30 C (86 F).

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
If it were me, I would stay with the stock sizes, especially if this is among your first track experiences. I would also mount the Bridgestone RE-11s, one of the few "extreme" summer tires available in the stock 19" sizes. They're very sticky and have very tough sidewalls. Start with the pressures on the door plaque. Do a search on "RE-11" and your sure to find a few reviews from those of us who have used them. I drove an '09 Carrera S with them on the track this last weekend, and they behaved just like on my CS - to my butt G-meter, they're almost as sticky as R-compounds, and they also make great street tires.

brad

·
Registered
806 Posts
PS2's have a tendency to roll over, wearing out the outside edge prematurely. You can increase the pressure (to a point) to compensate for this, but you won't get the best traction. Too much pressure when hot and you're sliding around on ice.

A lot depends on track surface, radius of the turns (tight, like an autocross, or wide open), air temp versus track temp, camber, driving style, etc.

Get some white shoe polish and mark the edges of your tires. If you wear the shoe polish off the sidewall of the tire, add more air. If there is still polish on the tread, let some air out. If you feel like you're on ice or hot pressures get absurdly high (>45), let some air out.

You'll probably have to find some compromise between wearing the edges of the tires a bit and maintaining adequate traction.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks guys for the advice and feedback :cheers:

Brad, your point on the RE-11 is well made and made me look a little deeper in to the choices and based on test results and opinions I had already read (including yours).

As it rains only a few times a year here I am convinced that it makes even more sense to go with the RE-11's, but may have to swap the PS2's back on for the summer months where we'll see over 120 F as the RE-11's may wear a little too quickly.

Unfortunately nowehere has them in stock, not even Bridgestone Middle East (who I called), and strangely enough Bridgestones website does not list the 265/35-19 for the RE-11 even though Tire Rack does :crazy:....I'm on the hunt though, and for the track on Friday I'll keep with the PS2's so that I don't rush into buying some tyres I don't want.

Downshift, the track will be the full 5.39 km (3.3 mile) GP circuit and will contain a bit of everything with high speeds (140+ mph on the back straight), tight off camber turns, long sweepers etc.
I guess I will need to play with the pressures a bit because last time out it was about 22 F hotter and my brake fluid boiled, so I could do the last session.

Thanks again. :cheers:

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
If it were me, I would stay with the stock sizes, especially if this is among your first track experiences. I would also mount the Bridgestone RE-11s, one of the few "extreme" summer tires available in the stock 19" sizes. They're very sticky and have very tough sidewalls. Start with the pressures on the door plaque. Do a search on "RE-11" and your sure to find a few reviews from those of us who have used them. I drove an '09 Carrera S with them on the track this last weekend, and they behaved just like on my CS - to my butt G-meter, they're almost as sticky as R-compounds, and they also make great street tires.

brad
Brad, how long have you had the RE-11s? I was wondering how they wear vs. the PS2s.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Brad, how long have you had the RE-11s? I was wondering how they wear vs. the PS2s.
I've had them since last May, but I honestly can't tell you how they wear compared to the PS2s. I took a trip up to Stockton, CA (1300 mi) for two days of AX and then from LV to Keystone, CO (1800 mi) for Parade and back, and the AX there. Since then, the NT-01s have been on the car, and the RE-11s stacked in the garage. People that I know that have them and use them more then me, tell me they're wearing about the same as the PS2s so far.

brad

·
Registered
806 Posts
Unfortunately nowehere has them in stock, not even Bridgestone Middle East (who I called), and strangely enough Bridgestones website does not list the 265/35-19 for the RE-11 even though Tire Rack does :crazy:
I noticed that too. I was worried that Tire Rack was wrong, and not Bridgestone, and that they didn't make the 265/35-19. But rest assured they do make them and that the Bridgestone site is wrong. I know for sure because I have them on my car right now!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after searching and sending an email to Bridgestone unfortunately the RE-11 is not available in the region and has no plans for the near future as it has not been GCC spec'd yet.

After thinking long and hard I think even if the RE-11's were available I might be reluctant as they are speed rated W, and I have driven a number of times quicker than the 168 mph speed rating for W, and with the high ambient temperatures here that might not be a good thing to do....or maybe the tolerances are significant and it would be fine?

So what OEM N-Spec tires would you all recommend for summer conditions, dry only driving (Zero rain) and with a focus on track? Oh and comfort is not a major issue.

Would it be the PS2 still? or is that only the best all-rounder or do one of the other OEM tyres have better grip?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on guys, someone's got to have an opinion?

My question is simply which is the most grippy tyre in the dry offered as OEM on the CS ignoring all other considerations?

I was thinking about Michelin Cups, but a bit worried over the oil ingestion issues.

·
Registered
177 Posts
the Michelin Cups are about as good as a road legal Track tyre you are going to get but expensive and cope well with plenty of heat cycles, The Pirelli Corsa's are pretty much as good as the Cups and have a couple of mm extra tread and pretty good in the wet and quiet on the road. The Toyo 888 are the cheapest of the bunch quite noisy on the road but better than Cups in the wet, they seem to go off after about 5-6 laps on track but hey ho you cant have everything !!!! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts